Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Should G&G be worried about T2 Banette at Nationals?

Flygon999

Should G&G be worried about T2 Banette at Nationals?

So, is banette gonna get played a lot at Nationals? Or should G&G be free from worries?

I think G&G should be worried. My Nats Deck Breakdown prediction is...

45% G&G
25% Empoleon
25% Banette
5% Rogue/Lower Tier Decks

Even if i think it will be 25% Banette, i still think that G&G should be worried about it.

JMO

I think G&G should be worried. My Nats Deck Breakdown prediction is...

45% G&G
25% Empoleon
25% Banette
5% Rogue/Lower Tier Decks

Even if i think it will be 25% Banette, i still think that G&G should be worried about it.

JMO

No it should be

35% Plox
35% Empoleon Variant
25% Blissey Banette
5% Rogue/L Tier Decks

I think that PLOX will have to be prepared to play Banette. However, think to yourself:

"Hm... Banette has a positive matchup against PLOX... but nothing else. Empoleon will own it, same with many other decks. Hm... plus, look at my shiny new Empoleons... or those Gardevoirs and Gallades I worked so hard to get... hm... I didn't invest too much for the Banettes... so, I'll play Empoleon or PLOX!"

See, people know that now that MD is released, many people will be playing cards from MD. It's a new set, and it has good cards in it (Eevees, Empoleon, Garchomp, etc.). People will play MD. People may still play PLOX, just because it's the BDIF and everything, but no one wants to lose to Majestic Dawn cards, wich will be played just as much as PLOX.

Remember, your opponent's aren't just people trying to beat you, they want to win the tournament too. So, they won't play a deck just to counter yours, they'll play a deck they think has at least a 50-50 matchup against almost all of the big decks right now.

Kid at my league plays Banette + Dugtrio/Electrode. Makes the deck a little less consistant, but it vastly improves the Empoleon matchup.

Banette is a bad deck. That's not to say that it won't be played, but I honestly think that playing right with the right techs in G&G wins the Banette matchup. There should be nothing for the better G&G players to worry about except getting donked.

Last edited:

i think that plox will be over played however i don't think bannett should be a worry cause bannett has way more bad matchups than plox. and on top of it plox can beat bannett if u know what you r doing

Or, the G&G deck can carry a Sableye CG tech. Or something else that is a basic and is dark typed...idk......

Sableye doesn't really help against Banette.

But why play a deck that wins against one of the meta decks but has a negative matchup to almost every other one? Although it has quite a good chance against Eeveelutions, it loses to Empoleon and Magmortar and also has huge problems with Garchomp decks.

I will answer you this: If you believe a quarter of the decks present at nationals will include banette in it you're sadly mistaken.

No it should be

35% Plox
35% Empoleon Variant
25% Blissey Banette
5% Rogue/L Tier Decks

I think that the first part is correct that there will be nearly 70% GG or Empoleon. However, saying there is only going to be 5% rogue and 25% Blissey/Banette is a bit high. I think that saying that 30% is going to be decks that are not Empoleon or GG is a fair statement.

Drew

Banette is not bad, it just fell off. Show me a plox deck that can still consistently beat a well constructed banette more than fifty percent of the time. Other than that banette has a good match-up against blissy and I am not too sure about empoleon since I haven't really been on the scene since regionals but I am sure I could put together a list that has a pretty good chance against empoleon as well. Banette fell off because the metagame shifted a bit and people claimed to be afraid of decks that were never there (magmar) and were so fascinated by the numbers (plox).

A good plox goes at least 50-50 with Banette I'd say.

Funny thing that helped be against Banette was, believe it or not, my tech for Magmortar: Feraligatr. I can do 80 to a banette with Roseanne's then Telepass. It's good.

I think G&G will make up at least 35% of the decks in the Senior Division at Nationals. They are the slowest group to adapt to any major format change historically.

So, yes, Bannette should be a worry. Gutsy play, as it has horrid matchups with empo and some Maggy variants, which will be played (yes, even with Empo out there)..I can see 5% of the decks being Banny, and me having to play all 5% with my G&G.

Enough with the PLOX.

Plox is far from the only version of the G&G Deck. Heck, I had the 3 Garde build as my first build and "scrapped" it for what I feel is a more consistant version.

The lock is powerful, but so are other things out there that eat the lock, and if you have a Gallade prized...woop, there it is!

Vince

GG will be majority of the field in every division.Why?Look at the gym,everybody believes its the BDIF,but it loses to anything that can last mid game wont show.GG shouldnt be worried bout Banete at Nats cuz 1.People have no faith in Banette. 2.everyone wants to win,why not play a deck that you know is simple to play and has won majority tourneys because of its large showings,which deck is that??(Gardilade-GG-PLOX)

Banette is not a bad deck,it can beat rogue,it can beat emp,people talkin about teching with GG and it can beat Banette,nah it dosent work that way,Banette can tech for its matchups,after looking at arithemtic,Banette can be viable with the right build just like anydeck.Skills plays a big part in playing a deck,and sometimes you wonder how many people have skills in playing any kind of deck and doing well with it.

60 % GG
25 % Emp
14 % Rogue/Ape/Emp/Chomp/Lutions
1 % Banette

I guess Ill be the only one playing Banette.

let's not forget how Banette also has a very bad match-up vs. Ape. So having a 55-45 vs. G/G, and 40-60 against a lot of other decks just isn't worth the risk.

For nats:
30% G/G
30% Empoleon
10% Ape
5% Eeveelutions
5% Chomp
5% Banette
5% Blissey
10% Rogue

Last edited:
Hmm...I think that ChrisCobi's list looked the best. Except I don't expect to see Blissy because of it's weakness to Gallade.

Back