Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Should the US 2011 National Championship be moved?

JandPDS

IF there is little to no hotel space left in Indanapolis due to 2 other major events taking place that very same weekend, maybe it is not to late to move this years Pokemon Championship to a City where people can actually find a place to sleep near the venue that Nationals will be taking place. I am sure there is time to find a new place to hold this event.

Or, people can familiarize themselves with the local transportation. Not a catch-all solution, I know, but an option I feel like many people forget about.

IF there is little to no hotel space left in Indanapolis due to 2 other major events taking place that very same weekend, maybe it is not to late to move this years Pokemon Championship to a City where people can actually find a place to sleep near the venue that Nationals will be taking place. I am sure there is time to find a new place to hold this event.

It is too late. Those contracts are signed a year or more in advance. Gotta keep looking, I'm sure there are hotels around. Indy is a good sized city.

Keith

Theres one close by, but the rooms are around $350 a night. There are others, but not in walking distance from the conventrion center.

Or, people can familiarize themselves with the local transportation. Not a catch-all solution, I know, but an option I feel like many people forget about.
Yeah, basically this. Looks like people will have to go relatively far away. I know that I want to do that, although I planned on it anyway; staying somewhere with free parking and taking a bus to the Convention Center is so much cheaper than parking downtown :D

Just saying, Pokémon made the right decision here. If they'd failed to secure the Indy location people would be mad about that instead. It's unfortunate that it conflicts with some other event, but it's certainly preferable to holding it in St. Louis again.

As much as I'd like the date to change, it's not going to happen. With the event only a few months away, there's no way they can change.

They will not move it. With signed contracts that I'm almost sure would force them to pay for the space even if it's not used, moving it is not financially feasible. In addition once it’s been announced some players start booking right away. If they were to move Nationals they would face likely lawsuits from people trying to recoup some or all of their losses.

That being said, I wonder why research wasn't done to prevent this sort of thing from happening. (Maybe it was thought it wouldn't have an impact?) It will keep players away, because not only can you not book a decently-priced hotel anywhere near the Convention Center, but if you rent a car… where are you going to park? Public transit is an option but not one everyone is comfortable with, plus it’s not always 100% reliable and with the other conventions booked it may also be quite full. Perhaps a cab between the hotel and Convention Center would be ideal, but that costs money too.

Absolutely not. People have already been making plans. That really wouldn't be fair to anybody.

And it would be REALLY hard to find another venue at this late date.

P!P could get around the venue problem by throwing in with another game con (Gencon or Origins) but Pokemon players would have the same logistical problems that already exist in Indy as all the hotels for those events are already booked.

I'm not sure how P!P does their event planning, but I know a person who does this for a living and she told me that avoiding conflicts with other major events is one of the hardest things to do.

With that being said, on Hotwire the "University Place Conference Center & Hotel" is showing up for $98 a night. It doesn't look like a HORRIBLE walk across the campus of Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis.

Last edited:
I stayed at University Place last year, from Hotwire. It's actually a really nice hotel, a mile away from the convention center. They also had a shuttle bus to take you to the convention center. I walked / ran most of the time between the hotel and the convention center. It was pretty cheap, and the hotel was excellent quality.

why would you move it?
yes it conflicts w/ two other events but tbh indy is used to being a jampacked city and imo it's more that way ;)
i love going to GenCon and literally everywhere you go its busy it's great for just randomly talking to people(idk what other events it conflicts w/ but) and @GenCon it's all gamers and its fun. I mean yes it might be crowded but not really since indy is used to have to hold a lot of people.

There are some alternatives outside the city that seem feasible. University Place looks nice but I'm not comfortable walking a mile with my 7 year old daughter in a city I've never been in before. But researching has been fun and more challenging than usual. And I don't mind taking a cab into the city. ^_^ Now if I can only get the time off...

ever heard of priceline? we book are's like a little before the event no 8-10 months in advance. And dude getting to the event is easy

Street parking last year was free on the weekend. It was a little bit of a walk, but worth it for the (zero) cost.

Street parking last year was free on the weekend. It was a little bit of a walk, but worth it for the (zero) cost.

With all the extra people in the city that weekend I wouldn't count on being able to FIND street parking. But free is good. ^_^

This is a bit odd. I went to the Convention Center website and clicked on the calendar. They have the Pokemon Championships listed (YAY!) but not the IBE, another event that is reported to be taking place there. They estimate the IBE will draw over 300,000 people (over it's 11-day course, hopefully not all at once!)

So I went to the IBE website. Some of the information is updated and some isn't. It claims they are in the Convention Center for 2011.

I think THEY are the ones who have the big 'ol hotel blocks. Working with Sakura-Con, I understand that if they don't fill up the blocks they will be released to the general public. At this point perhaps patience will be rewarded.

Last edited:
Back