Should tournaments require profs as judges?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by yoshi1001, Feb 20, 2004.

1. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

So, like the topic says, who should be allowed to judge tournaments? At what levels? It's a difficult questions. Qualified judges may not be availible in all areas, and even among profesors, there are various levels of qualification.

Personally, I don't see how we can require professor judges at any level until the Professor Test gets back up.

(by the way, could somone clarify as to whether professors are required as HJs in the US presently, or can anyone with a POP ID be one?)

2. Gym Leader Blaine

Gym Leader Blaine <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/member.php?u=15

I try to use my local Professors and Master Professors as much as I can in my tournaments. I have known this players for years and they are great to work with. Sometime they want to play in the tournaments so I have another person judge with me. His son is a Professor, but he is not. He knows the rules of the game, and is a big help in tournaments. So to answer your quetion I dont think it is nessisary to have a Professor as the judges, since there are a lot of players out there that are not, but know just as much about that game as anyone eles.

3. sneaselsrevenge

sneaselsrevenge New Member

I think that should be left to the discretion of the PTO/TO. Im not a professor, but have judged 2 Premiere events and am planning on judging 2 more in the next month. On the flip siide, I do think HJ's should be professors if possible

4. Rainbowgym

Rainbowgym Active Member

PUI/POP decided that for some locations only a prof was allowed as judge.
    For other locations they decided that a prof was not needed.

Because there are not that many profs I think it should not be a requirement, but if PUI tells one location that only a prof can judge than that decission should be for all locations.

Even passing a Prof test is in my eyes NOT a qualification to be a good judge.

5. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

Here's another consideration: Suppose you're the only professor in the area. If you mant an event in your area,, yoou'll have to judge if it's required (or help somone else become a professor). Is that fair? Or, suppose there are no professors in the area, is it a good idea to get somone to become one just to hold events?

Lots of variables here.

6. my opinion is check to see if you get volunteer professors and if you do classify thier chance my how good they are at judging. Anyone can volunteer but good judges are seen in action. If no professors volunteer its al up to teh discretion of the event TO. Tahts my opinion on it and how i woudl do it.

7. Adv1sor

Adv1sor New Member

Once the professor test is back up and we have an abundance of professors (don't wake me up yet, I'm on a roll) Then we should definitely require professors as judges at least for premier events.

Until that happens, then it would be impossible to do so.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  8. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

Personally, I think the Head Judge for a Premiere Event/POP Supported Event should be a Professor as soon as the Prof Program is reintroduced. When prizes like trips are involved, there should be at least one experienced Professor on the judging team.

Training judges is always something that should be welcomed at all levels. If someone wants to gain some insight and shadow an experienced judge, it should be allowed.
    -Phil

9. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

using Profs as judges should be STRONGLY encouraged. However, this leaves two problems...

1. There are areas out there that don't have any Profs within a reasonable driving time, or there is only 1 Prof who probably won't want to judge every week.

2. There are areas (mine included) where there are too many Profs (say, every single person over 15 that I know in my area) to choose from. Here, there is the issue of favoritism to contend with.

IMO, any way that you go with this you're basically skrewed. There should be two different tests. One to become a Professor. The second is to become a Head Judge / TO. This way, you don't have 15 year olds telling 30 or 45 year olds how the game is supposed to be played (b/c no self respecting 45 year old will allow themself to be bosses by "some snot nosed kid"), and it will also define the role of the Professor more as being a teacher of the younger age groups than a judge, while the HJ/TO will become more of an "official" position.

My two cents, yours?

10. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

An important requirement for judges is that they are impartial. A current lack of knowledge of all the game rules should not disqualify someone from being a judge.

That said the majority of good judges will have a reasonable understanding of the game and have probably got copies of the compendium close to hand.

Knowing the game rules is only one aspect of being a judge. Indeed I'd go so far as to say that knowing the game rules is perhaps the least important aspect of being a good judge.

SO am I going to vote NO to Yoshi's question? you bet! However I do believe that some form of accreditation process is required. Is that the prof programme? Search me! LOL

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  11. BoDragon

BoDragon Member

Most players prefer Pokémon Professors ages 18+ to serve as Tournament Organizers or judges. The Professors know how the game is played and how the tournaments work. If you get an ordinary tournament organizer who knows nothing about Pokémon, there are going to be many problems - incorrect rulings, inability to control crowd, not enough prize support, etc.. For future sanctioned events, Professors 18+ should be considered first for judging.

12. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

I addressed the "age versus maturity" in a recent topic proposing an adult only Pokemon League. Plenty of members here have reiterated that there is a vast difference between a person's age and that individual's maturity level. This includes judging skills. There are countless 15-18 year old Professors who have or excel the experience and skills of most "adults". :mad:
    -Phil