Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Show up to the match and opponent has everything set up

Kennydawgg

i posted this in the wrong forum so I am redirecting this to the judges chambers as I would like to know the penalty. It was a question on the Prof. exam and I cant for the life of me find the correct answer.

I have been searching for this answer for a while and can not find it.

Player A shows up to his tournament seat to find player B has already shuffled, drawn his hand and set up prize cards.

what penalty if any do you impose on player A?

I think that I would look at this as somewhat equivalent to this:

Insufficiently randomizing your deck.

That falls under Game Play Error - Major (7.1.2)

The Penalty for that would be:

Tier 1: Warning
Tier 2: Prize Card

Note though that a player's history of penalties (or if it is a brand new player) can be taken into account to adjust the penalty up or down.

I'm a new judge, so correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the player that set up before their opponent arrived be made to restart the setup process from the beginning once both players are present, as well as the appropriate penalty?

Several issues come to mind:
  • Unknown quality of randomization.
  • No chance for opponent to cut after shuffeling.
  • No proof for number of mulligans, if any.
  • And the possible risk of cheating.
It is always possible they are new, or simply impatient, and don't understand the various reasons why it is not okay, but being made to restart setup seems obvious in my opinion.

Yes, JZiffra - the reset is the "fix" to the problem, but the player may also have earned a "penalty" - as PokePop noted above. They are not the same thing. :)

Oh yes, of course they have to redo the set up.
I took that as a given, but should have been more clear.

Two questions:
1. Would penalty be on player A or player B?
2. Where can I find a list of the rules? For example, Poképop mentioned Gameplay Error- Major (7.1.2). Where do I find that?
Thanks!

Note though that the history of a player's penalty (or if it is a new player) can be taken into account to adjust up or down penalties.

Thanks for the PDF. I'm still confused on which player would be penalized in this case. My guess is that it would be player B.

Of course it is B.
How in the world could A be blamed for B's actions?
Unless you are thinking A is late to match? But that wasn't stated as part of the scenario.

Back