Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Shuffling your opponent's deck wrecklessly at the start of the game

Freddy K.

Hi there, great job guys.

Maybe this is a request for some thought on an addition to the POP Guidelines if it's not there already... if an opponent at the start of the match is completely wreckless shuffling your deck (to the point of splitting the sleeves, revealing them, dropping them etc.) is there something that a judge can do / take guidance on?
I'm more than aware it's a tough call as it's all about intention. What about if a player purposely mixes up their opponent's deck such that some cards are upside-down - and it's not accidental?
It's something I just feel should be cracked down on if anything at all.

Thanks for responding,
- Freddy K. :smile:

You have a couple of options. Here is the section from the tournament rules that applies to shuffling. I have bolded the applicable sections:
Instead of cutting, the opponent may choose to shuffle the deck. This shuffle should be brief, and when it concludes, the deck’s owner is allowed to cut the deck once as described above. Players should take care when shuffling an opponent’s deck, as the cards in that deck are not the shuffling player’s property. At this point, the deck should be sufficiently randomized to both players’ satisfaction.

If either player still does not feel that either deck is sufficiently randomized, or if a player wishes to not offer his or her deck to an opponent for randomization, a judge must be called over to shuffle the deck(s) in question. No player is allowed to shuffle or cut after the judge’s shuffle.
I might start by asking them to take more care in shuffling, and perhaps even involve a Judge at this point. If the rough treatment continues I would not allow them to shuffle.

BDS

Back