Skywolf1's Sandstorm Tournament Report...

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Skywolf1, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Skywolf1

Skywolf1 New Member

Hello everyone:

The day was Saturday 6, September 2003. The place was San Diego, California. The Event was the first ever PRE-RELEASE tournament for the newest set of Pokemon Trading Cards: Sandstorm.

I arrive at about 1:30pm ready for sign-ups with two decks, and the hope that "lady luck" is on my side. I was expecting about 30 people to be in attendance, what I saw was almost twice that amount, people ranging in age from 6 to about 50, all ready to make a day of using strategy and skill to build a 40 card deck using 6 Sandstorm booster packs.

We had 20 minutes to "register" the cards we had, and then 30 minutes soon thereafter, to construct a deck out of what we were given.

Let me tell you, these sealed drafts really bring out the more strategic side of the human phyche. Yes, some people complained, but the beauty of these drafts are, making the most out of what one had to work with. Even though, I went 1-5, this event was the most enjoyable one I had been to, probably since the STS days.

Would I do it again? In a New York Minute, YES!

Now Props and Slops:

Props: To PT&E1 for organizing a great event!
    Props: To all the good sports who participated, and just played for a good time.
    Props: Myself, for getting 21M Points in the Pokemon Pinball side event.
    Props: To Everyone from the Gym that I was able to meet. Some of you for the first time.

Slops: My knees for causing me excrutiating pain the entire time.

All in all, a very well organized event, and a very good time.

I hope to see some of you at the Las Vegas, PR event on 13, September.

Take Care,

Skywolf1 :)

2. Tego

Tego New Member

Sounds like you had a blast. That it was as fun as the STS sounds very promising. The good days are coming back! ;P

3. Michel

Michel New Member

I love your optimism Golduck :thumb:

Do you know Skywolf is talking about the USA ? :lol:

But we'll maybe have trips to the US Prereleases :clap:

Seriously, I'm happy to see a great start of Nintendo's OP in the USa, ... and happy you had such a good time Marsh ;)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2003
  4. bulbasnore

bulbasnore Administrator Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

'I hear you', as we say to indicate both understanding and empathy. By comparison, PKMN in USA must seem heavenly. In person, it was fun. In reality, the situation is not where it should be...yet!

Deficiencies? My list:

Number of events too small
    (goes double for Europe. Wait, divide by zero! The only event in California was in San Diego, a worthy place but the second largest city in the US was left off...well, the TO didn't have time on the short notice...he'll have one there for next prerelease).

No advertising off the net
    (TO did mail shops, but did any post it? Would you? "Um, do not come to my shop this weekend, but go to a hotel in San Diego and play." Many don't recognize the long term value of premier OP to their shop. Profs did advise their players and judging from the number of players who came to the event with a Prof, I'd say that is a big source of attendance. Which leads to my next point.)

Professor program not up and running
    (goes double for Europe, I know some people snuck in under the fence avoiding the divide by zero error! Hey, my email is out on the prof web page so it gets spammed, but no email or even spam has come from Nintendo or POP...yet.)

We can not share the joy with our fellow trainers in Europe, Oceania, Asia, SAmer, Africa

Just wanted you to know, that USA excitement is over a 'glimmer' a 'spark' of life here. Our hope is that it spreads and burns brightly internationally. They certainly have a wonderful property and could do so much with it.

Best wishes. We do not forget you; please hang in there and keep posting, too.

5. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

thanks 'snore... personally the pain is that Nintendo aren't using the resources that are available to them amongst the playing community. I know that it requires a leap-of-faith for a company to behave that way. But surely there is someone out there that is worthy of that level of trust?????

Didn't you T8 at Comic Con??? you need to change your sig *grins evilly*

Marsh: Hope your knees forgive you when you get back to the warmth of LV.

6. Tego

Tego New Member

Please don't let this turn into another OP-crisis debate. All I was saying is that it's great to have the Prereleases back, which we haven't seen since the Fossil days with Wizards. And slap me for my optimism, but I think we could get just as cool tournaments in Europe in a few months' time.

7. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

SLAP he he he (crosses fingers... and goes back to sleep)

8. Darkleaf Master

Darkleaf Master New Member

I think thats the attitude we all need to take Tego ^_^ I for one really am optimistic and look forward to the resurfacing of Pokemon to those who though it gone!! *key word:thought.. never was gone!* Cant wait for the next prerelease.... As for OP.. all in due time all in due time.. although it wouldnt hurt if they got their things straight soon. ^_^

9. Michel

Michel New Member

Everything was certainly not perferct 'Snore, but at least you've had the opportunity to play these prereleases and I think it's a good beginning. Things will certainly be better in the future, when OP will be running and when Nintendo will have more time to organize, advertize, ...

You're right Tegon, really nice to see prereleases back, like it's great to see the 15+ group back in the main events. I truly find that the start of Nintendo in the USA is really promising.

Yup, we'll see what will happen, if something happens, and when it will happen in Europe. Don't worry, I'm like NoPoke, I sleep very well ;)

No news is good news ... and as we have no news at all in Europe, we so have very good news :lol:

10. bulbasnore

Yes, the resource ignoring. I _am_ concerned that you guys have been holding up the roof all this time, and still haven't heard much. Y'know, some of the significant people here in USA aren't getting much run from N (yet) either, and some consider that they are done with the game or the game with them. For me, well, its nice to be insignificant...no worries that way. Well, I appreciate that you (and the rest) still hang in there. I believe the reward may come!

Yah, the SD PR event was pretty fun. Attendance was up from like 16 at the same venue for the GBA/TCG event. It was almost the size of the last WCSC without counting the 30 profs (I think that WCSC was about 54 11-14 and 18 10-, pitiful when there were 300+ each day the year before at WCSTS). So, the response to OP is encouraging so far. Looking forward to more. More. MORE.

About the sig, I think I'll keep it...for a while anyway. It was written in the day when I was too old to play the game from WOTC perspective (when defending 15+ players) and was one of those non-competitive pokeparents (you know who you, er, we are!) to those I was defending. *grins back evilly*.

11. bulbasnore

Haha! You are right. And well, I look forward to the 'good beginning' in Europe and around the world.

BTW, I left my glasses at this event; the hotel manager gave me some old world service and found them and shipped them to me. That was very cool.

Which reminds me. I'm still holding a pikachu deck box lost at SD Comicon FAT in July. If someone really lost that box or knows who did and PMs me with the contents, I'll send it (even to Europe).