Slaking vs. Rayquaza w/ Hyper Beam

Discussion in 'Electronic Games' started by scizorulz87, Sep 7, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
  1. scizorulz87

scizorulz87 New Member

If a Slaking uses Hyper Beam, It loses a turn.

If a Rayquaza uses Hyper Beam, It loses a turn.

If a Slaking uses Earthquake, it loses a turn.

If a Rayquaza uses Earthquake, it attacks next turn.

Now, what happened to the reasoning that you should just put Hyper Beam on Slaking because it misses a turn anyway? It's retarded, I swear. Rayquaza loses a turn, but any other move let's it keep attacking, whereas Slaking loses a turn for all moves.

Either way, you get the same result, so explain to me the reasoning behind why everyone suggests that Hyper Beam shoud be excluded to all but Slaking! :mad:

2. Mr. Grass

Mr. Grass New Member

I think maybe you have it reversed. Slaking is the only pokemon that can really use Hyper Beam well. Since Slaking already loses a turn it doesn't lose anything by using Hyper Beam. Every other pokemon could attack two turns in a row and do more damage.

3. Ultramew

Ultramew New Member

Not only that but Slaking has the HIGHEST base attacks stat out of every single pokemon. Thus Hyper Beam = powerful, PLUS STAB, you get a heap of damage.

4. GuardianTIM

GuardianTIM New Member

Might I also add, that because Hyper beam is a normal-type attack, and Slaking is Normal type, then it does another 50% damage because of the type compatability.

Also, I've forgotten - What is STAB again?

5. Ultramew

Ultramew New Member

STAB is Same Type Attack Bonus. Which is exactly what you just explained ^_^ Lol.

6. scizorulz87

scizorulz87 New Member

normal types don't get STAB for normal attacks its in the nintendo guide

7. Mr. Grass

Mr. Grass New Member

Normal types do get STAB for normal moves. Several guides have incorrectly reported that they don't. Several guides have reported that pokemon with two types only get a 1.25x STAB with their moves, which is also incorrect.

8. invisible

invisible New Member

yup. STAB works on normals too. that's why slaking is the built OHKO pokemon, really.

9. Sea Crobat

Sea Crobat New Member

that is also why it is so hard to find a slakoth.

10. invisible

invisible New Member

and why it is so hard to raise one too.

11. SMARIANO297

SMARIANO297 New Member

HYPER BEAM IS ONLY GOOD ON SLACKING (OR THE PREEVOLVED FORMS) BECAUSE YOU ATTACK NEXT TURN YOU DON'T MOVE AND THE NEXT TURN YOU DON'T MOVE AND THE NEXT YOU ATTACK! BUT IF YOU PUT IT ON RAYQUAZA YOU WILL MISS A TURN AND BEFORE YOU PROBABLY GET TO ATTACK AGAIN YOU'LL PROBABLY BE DEAD SO ONLY TEAC HYPER BEAM TO SLACKING :)

12. Sea Crobat

Sea Crobat New Member

actually, only Slaking can learn it.

13. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

Slaking, in general, has 2 things going for it: Its variety and its insane stats that are matched only by the R/B/Y Mewtwo.

Of course, the fact that slaking has a 1:2 attack rate, he is greatly weakened. but, in the case of hyper beam, the combination of his great stats, STAB, and the fact that he loses half of his turns anyway, he can be very strategic. I would recommend him for advanced players only, or players who are trying to be suicidal :D

14. dkates

dkates New Member

Question. When Slaking uses Hyper Beam, is the recharge turn the one it would have lost anyway to Truant, or is it the next one on which it could have attacked?

15. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

the turn he would have lost anyway; it doesnt take away 2

16. dkates

dkates New Member

Yeah that's what I thought. EVIL!:lol:

17. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

meh... its ironic that i ask u about the TCG yet u ask me about the game... *laughs* (sience when was ecogym a rare?)

18. dkates

dkates New Member

(Since it was printed.) That's what these boards are about, my friend -- the exchange of knowledge.

19. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

heh... the exchange of MY knowladge... jk

20. Dek

Dek New Member

well if this STAB theory is true, then that must explain why my Aron does so much damage with Metal Claw and Iron Tail.