Slaking's “Critical Move” Attack

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by DarkTyranitar, Feb 9, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkTyranitar

DarkTyranitar New Member

R&S Slaking's “Critical Move” attack, which does 100 damage states:
    “Discard a basic Energy card attached to Slaking or this attack does nothing. Slaking can’t attack during your next turn.”

My question is two-fold. First, if I have another powered up Slaking on my bench, can I bench my active one (that just did the 100 damage during my previous turn) and move my other one off the bench and do another 100 damage? (Ie, does it's restriction apply to ALL Slakings or just the one that attacked previously?)

Next, say I originally had 5 energy cards on my Slaking when I first attacked with “Critical Move.” I discard one card and do the attack. During my very next turn can I circumvent this restriction by using a “Switch” or “Warp Point” trainer card to bench my Slaking and then move him back off the bench into attack mode right away, doing an additonal 100 damage?

Thanks!

- Tony

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  2. Chrisbo

Chrisbo Administrator

Well, the first part is covered by what is informally known as the "self-referencing rule", which means that whenever a card specifically references its own name it refers to only that card and not to all cards of that same name (unless the attack said something like "all Slakings cannot attack during your next turn").

For the second part of your question, we can refer to older rulings for similar attacks:
    == MEGA BURN (Sabrina's Alakazam - Gym: Challenge Expansion)

Q. Did you find out what R&D ruled about Sabrina's Alakazam's Mega Burn (using it the following turn if you benched Sabrina's Alakazam and returned it to active)?
    A. If it gets benched, it removes the staus effect and you can Mega Burn the next turn. The "can't use this attack next turn" sets up a status effect that can be ended through the normal means: benching, leaving play, evolving or devolving. (Jul 12, 2001 WotC Chat, Q139 & Q155; May 23, 2002 WotC Chat, Q266 & Q268)

Since it's been a while since we've raised this issue, I'm going to ask it again at the next meeting, just to be safe. But given the complexity of many possible situations and scenarios, it may take a while to get an answer fully sorted out.

Stay tuned,
    - CHRISBO

3. Chrisbo

Chrisbo Administrator

Whew, it didn't take as long as I thought it would. Here you go:
    == CRITICAL MOVE (Slaking - EX:Ruby/Sapphire)

Q. If I use Slaking's "Critical Move" attack, and on my next turn I use Switch and then retreat for the same Slaking, can I then use his "Critical Move" attack again? Does the effect of "Slaking can't attack during your next turn" get removed when he goes to the bench?
    A. Effects like this go away when the active goes to the bench. So if Slaking goes to the bench and becomes active once again, he can then use Critical Move on that turn. (Feb 12, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Enjoy,
    - CHRISBO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.