So, I just joined a Pokemon Club League. . . (Need help with my drafted team)

Discussion in 'Electronic Games' started by Professor_Chris, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Professor_Chris

Professor_Chris Active Member

Digipen had its club day today and I signed up for their Pokemon club (Smash Bros. club was apparently a no-show for this event. Halo club was there. I didn't see the Guilty Gear club there either) and chose to participate in their league. What this means is the following:
    Soon (this Monday perhaps), those enrolled in the league will draft a team of Pokemon (12 I think it was).​
    We will have 3 weeks to get these Pokemon ready.​
    Winner at the end of the semester recieves his or her choice of Diamond, Pearl, or Battle Revolution.​
    So, there you have it. Now, I'm not much of an expert at all on the games, so I was wondering if you guys could help me with some draft picks. Of course, I'll need back-ups in case what I want it drafted before I can get it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  2. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

Well, you'll definately want to draft Pokemon that you already have if they let you (so if you have say, a T-Tar already trained and stuff, draft him as # 1 and so on).

Seeing as how you have three weeks, unless you're really good at breeding, you'll probably want to try drafting the Pokemon you know you can breed the quickest and still be effective. Personally, I could breed what, maybe 1 good Pokemon every 2 days or so and EV train him. So yeah, definately think of what you can feasibly breed in that time period. Focus on Pokemon in egg groups that you may already have potentially good parents for.

Finally, if nothing else, draft the common OU Pokemon like Hippowdon, Weaville, Garchomp, etc so that way at least no one else has them. And if they'll let you use traded Pokemon, you can trade for the ones you drafted to use.

3. Jran Sakarra

Jran Sakarra New Member

So what help do you need?
    I know alot of good combos...
    BTW is it double battle or single?
    What is the Pokemon Limit?

4. Professor_Chris

For the recond, I know jack squat about competitive Pokemon play. I know HOW to EV train, check for IVs, etc. But I've never really done it. In fact, I've never attempted to raise a competitive team before. I assume that anything goes outside of the realms of cheating of course.

5. Jran Sakarra

Jran Sakarra New Member

In soem terms..
    Like a LVL.1 Ratatta with Focus Sash and Endever and quick attack!

6. mtjimmer

mtjimmer Master Trainer, Emeritus

That sounds like an interesting format, drafting what Pokemon you're allowed to use.

What level Pokemon?
    How many do you have on the team at a time?
    Double Battle? Single Battle?

7. EeveeLover929

EeveeLover929 New Member

You and me both my friend. You and me both. But, though I don't know much about competitive trainging, I know a lot about the actual battle portion, as I've been studying the effects of EV Training, IV Breeding, and hacking as well (only for the sake of knowing how to counter hacks of course). So, if you want my advice, follow Neo's advice, and if nothing else, take a team of OU pokemon. The reason for this is, as he said, to have Pokemon that hardly anyone's going to use because everyone's going to be using them, a contradictory statement that's true all the same. They all know that the moment they decide to break out a team of OU pokemon, seven other people will have the same epiphany, even though that's a load of bull. Take that big team of trained OUs, and clean house. I bet a lot of people won't even see it coming.

8. Absolution

Absolution New Member

Since you get 12 slots, try and get at least one "theme" team down (ie. a team that meshes well together in a sandstorm, or a trick room team), and try and balance your weaknesses. Obviously draft pick order will play a role in this, but try to get your needs filled. You'll need a solid physical sweeper, solid revenge killer, a special wall, and a physical wall. A special sweeper like Gengar would also be a very nice addition.

Sounds like a really fun event, what were prizes for the Smash club?

9. Professor_Chris

I'm really not sure to be honest. I should have gotten more information. xD

However, I'm pretty sure any Pokemon is fair game to draft (except probably Shaymin, Darkrai, and Arceus).

Would anyone mind listing the OU Pokemon or at least linking me to this information? <_<;

I don't know if they hold tournaments for prizes. Like I said, there weren't at the Club day event. I just know they exist. xD

10. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

Well, since the best link I know of has its name tabooed here (poor Koffing), I'll go ahead and post the list:

Uber:
    Mewtwo
    Mew
    Wobbuffet
    Lugia
    Ho-Oh
    Latias
    Latios
    Kyogre
    Groudon
    Rayquaza
    Deoxys (all forms)
    Dialga
    Palkia
    Giratina
    Manaphy
    Darkrai
    Arceus

Debated uber:
    Tyranitar

OU:
    Slowbro
    Gengar
    Weezing
    Starmie (4 gens in a row!)
    Gyarados
    Aerodactyl
    Dragonite
    Heracross
    Skarmory
    Donphan
    Blissey
    Celebi
    Swampert
    Breloom
    Salamence
    Metagross
    Jirachi
    Infernape
    Bronzong
    Garchomp
    Lucario
    Hippowdon
    Weavile
    Magnezone
    Rhyperior
    Tangrowth
    Electivire
    Togekiss
    Gliscor
    Porygon-Z
    Dusknoir
    Azelf
    Heatran
    Cresselia

Things you'd expect in OU but I'd say are BL right now:
    Alakazam
    Marowak
    Zapdos
    Suicune
    Raikou
    Gallade

11. Dark_Fyre

Dark_Fyre New Member

why was smog on\'s name taboo\'d?

12. Professor_Chris

I just got an e-mail detailing the rules of the league.

13. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

Well, since I don't see anything disallowing ubers, make sure you snatch up one of them as your top pick (like Mewtwo). Perhaps you can specify a bit more on what they mean by offensive and defensive teams though?

14. Professor_Chris

Near as I understand it, you have to build two teams of 6 with two reserves that can be substituted into either team. Your main chance to score is while you're on "Offense." While on offense, your goal is to win with at least two Pokemon remaining. On the other hand, while on "Defense" your main objective is to make sure to take out at least 5 Pokemon. Of course, if you take out them all, you get to score.

Apparently, this is done 8 times alternating between DEF and OFF. Highest score wins.

15. mtjimmer

mtjimmer Master Trainer, Emeritus

That sounds tough - 8 duels of 6 Pokemon each, against each league opponent? (It also didn't give a level limitation for a Pokemon - huge!)

They're right about the 2 weeks not being that much time...it's primarily a question of how much people have played through the game. If someone finished the game and had time to rack up certain items, it's MUCH faster to train/breed/level Pokemon.

16. Professor_Chris

They said about 8-12 people were signed up for it. Minus the two weeks to train, we have the entire semester for league games between us. 8 games of 6v6 is still pretty intense though.

As a side note, there seemed to be a lot of interest in the TCG as well.

17. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

Well, seeing as your Defensive team isn't limited to only "defensive" Pokemon, fill up most of your choices with Sweepers and maybe a Wall/Sponge or two.

18. Professor_Chris

I just got back from Digipen and the draft. I took the Uber/OU list with me for reference. Additionally there were some rule changes:
    Wobbuffett and most Legendaries were banned. Exclusions being the Regis, Birds, Cats, Sprites, Heatran, and Cresselia.
    We'll play with 4 Pokemon per team and draft 10, giving us two reserves.
    Level will be set to 50 when we play

Here's what I got to draft (keep in mind, I had no idea what to really go for first, this is also not in drafted order):

Starmie
    Dragonite
    Infernape
    Bronzong
    Tangrowth
    Porygon Z
    Rampardos
    Azumarril
    Drifblim
    Probopass

After about 6 rounds the OU and that partial BL list were taken with the exception of Donphan (which was never picked). Additionally, I didn't try to draft any legendaries that I didn't have.

I'll definately need some help with the movesets, EVs, and natures. Unfortunately, I've got a Linear Algebra test tomorrow, so I won't have time to think about it tonight. Any and all input is appreciated.

19. ShadowTogetic

ShadowTogetic New Member

ew, linear algebra

Good Luck, though
    (on both of them)

20. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

Hmm...I'd recommend you divide your Pokemon into something like this:

Bronzong, PorygonZ, Dragonite, Driftblim

Starmie, Tangrowth, Ramparados, Infernape

That leaves Azumarril and Probopass as your reserves (who both, imo, are not that great considering that more than likely they'll be up against other OUs). For movesets and EVs, I'd recommend checking "Koffing" as they have the common movesets there and EV spreads as well.