Solar Flares coming toward Earth

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by onederlnd, Oct 24, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
  1. onederlnd

onederlnd Administrator Emeritus

Basically, a large Coronal Mass Ejection is heading straight towards the earth... what does this mean for us? It means that some time today, parts of the world may experience power outages, while most of the world will experience communication issues for a bit.

Read the following articles:

http://www.astrobiology.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=12850
    http://sec.noaa.gov/

2. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

Time to get into my solar flare shelter.

Mewtwo: You don't have a solar flare shelter, Steve.

I don't have a psychic cat, either.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2003
  3. Baboon

Baboon New Member

So that's why AOL's giving me a hard time dialing up and bringing up pages today. ;)

Who's the guy with the jumbo magnet that's causing this? ^_^

4. Turbo Blastoise

Turbo Blastoise New Member

What would you even try to use for a solar flare shelter anyway? How could anything withstand 10 million degrees F of superheated solar radiation? Thank God for earth's atmosphere!

5. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

I think you answered your own question. ;)

6. Captain Obviousx1

Captain Obviousx1 New Member

Man, my Science class must be stalking me...huge project involving solar weather as one of the components coming up soon for me, and I see this. You can imagine my joy. ~_~

7. Joe Monkey

Joe Monkey New Member

Hey do think there would be more solarocks out during this time??:lol:

8. Dek

Dek New Member

So what exactly does this solar flare mean for us? absolutely nothing. We probaly be dead by the time it comes. Kind of like that asteroid that was supposed to come down here.

9. onederlnd

notice how i said "Coronal Mass Ejection". Not literally the solar flare. The Ejection can easily knock out satellite and the like. A solar flare will, that I'm aware of, never be able to reach the earth.

10. treecko_332

treecko_332 New Member

yes onederlnd is right. In a million years a solar flare could never reach earth. They don't even get half way to earth. All it means is a power outage for some. It's really no big deal.

11. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

Tell that to New York.

12. onederlnd

What does New York have anything to do with this?

13. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

"All it means is a power outage for some. It's really no big deal."

14. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

Still convinced its a cover-up for the aliens ;) but I will save that for another day. :cool:

15. onederlnd

You've still lost me for where New York is significant. Was that an attempt at a joke? ;)

16. Orange Soda

Orange Soda New Member

I think it's a reference to the HUGE FRICKEN power outage that affected the Northeast a few months ago.

17. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

There was a blackout in New York (and much of the northeast) a few months ago.

18. onederlnd

That's what I was thinking... but that had nothing to do with NY specifically, nor did it have anything to do with solar flares......

19. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

But it is reasonable to assume that a New Yorker would not take the threat of a blackout lightly, which was my original supposition.

20. onederlnd

The only reason that New York was such a big topic is because the last time the lights were out was September 11th. Nobody knew if it was a terrorist attack. The outage caused mass panic because of that.

If New Yorkers know an outage is going ot happen, sure, it'll cause problems, but nothing like the past two times.