Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Some thanks, and a goodbye

Benlugia

Gallery Contributor
Hey everyone. First, I'd like to thank some people I've met and who’ve made this game a wonderful and everlasting experience for me.

From NJ/NY/PA:
-Chaosjim1 (Jimmy O): Jimmy, you've been a great friend both playing this game and outside the game. You've given me advice, and helped me become a better player, and a better person. Its amazing how you did at worlds, as well as the season in general. I'm really proud of you dude. You are most certainly one of the best players of the game, and I know it will stay that way for years to come.
-Professa Magma (Frankie D): Brankie! You've been such an awesome friend over the years and really contributed to me having fun at tournaments. Your focus in this game is impeccible, as well as your playstyle. Keep at it buddy.
-Lil' Magma (Mike D): Little Brankie! You're a bright kid and you're gonna go far. Stick with your brother--you both are two of the best players I've seen. Good luck to you, and your family.
-TheDarkTwins (Drew G): Drew, what can I say? It's been real, dude. You have won so much and have given me a lot to work towards. You've been a great friend, and a great rival. Gook luck in the future.
-Espeonchris (Christian O) and Blastoiseshellshocker (Peter O): Its great seeing you guys at tournaments. Both of you have gotten so awesome over the years, you both represent NY so well. Good luck guys.
-Shadowzangoose (MK) and Eternalfireex (Lawrence): MK, you're a cool kid. And you grindered in? Good stuff buddy, so keep at it. Same to you Lawrence! Thanks for being such a great friend over the years, especially when I was just getting into the whole competitive scene. Good luck my friend.
-Bolt (Josef B): Daddy.
-To anyone else out there from NJ/NY/PA (Shaw, Dr. Conti, Kyle P, Brian C, Greg S, Ben S, Geoff S, Brian G, Darrel, Patrick, Dan L, Aziz, Evan B, Adam C, Stephen K, everyone from Timewarp Comics and Games, everyone from Dark Tower, and anyone I'm forgetting right now): Thank you all for making the game on the East Coast a memorable experience, both for myself and all of you. I can't thank you all enough for your friendship and your kindness. Good luck to all of you.

Lafonte:
-Ness (Jason K): Jason, you have won the tropical mega battle, and two world championships. Your contributions to the game are immense. You are a model player, and you are great to this game, and great for the game. To me, you and Jimmy are two of the most important players in the game (both in terms of skill and ways of contributing/giving back to the game: ie, role model, if you will), and you are a good friend. Good luck to you.
-BigChuck01 (Alex B): Alex, you’re a lot of fun. You’re a great guy, a great player, and a great friend. Thanks for recognizing me, as I feel honored to have been able to hang out with you.
-Mossy (Matt M): Moss, you befriended me when you barely knew me. You’re funny, and extremely intelligent, and there’s no doubt in my mind that you’ll go far. You’ve taught me a lot about life outside of Pokemon, and have given me a lot of insight. Thanks buddy for being there.
-Banginbox (Jimmy B): Jimmy, you’re an incredible player and an awesome guy. You succeed in the game and you excel in giving back to the game, and you do it your way. Don’t change dude. Good luck running the shop and good luck with the family.
-Scizor (Chad H) and Truk (Chris S): you guys are awesome. Truk, I’ve already said this, but thanks for being someone to talk to when I had nonsense going on last year in school. Chad, thanks for helping me out over the years in the game and for helping me become a better player.
-Alvis: ALVIS!!! Keep Jason in line! It was awesome hangin out at worlds this year. Good luck buddy!
-Drew H, Andrew M, and Ajay S: All you guys rock. Drew, both you and I know you can just write “1st place” on your nats trophy and no one would argue with you. Mondak and Ajay, it was cool getting to know you guys at nats and worlds. Good luck at college guys.
-Mikey F and the family: You and your brothers are too cool, Mikey. Great players, and a great family. Thanks for playtesting with me over the past few years buddy, and thank your brothers for me!
-Pramawat, Luke R: it was cool hanging out with you guys at nats and worlds, and it was fun rooming with you guys. Good luck this season and stay in touch!
-Matt E (Rulemaster) and Eric E (Brlee): You guys are awesome, despite the fact that you guys are pretty much the same person. Congrats on graduating and good luck to both of you on your futures!
-Sami and Yaccine: Love you guys! Augh I wish we saw each other more than just once a year! Its awesome how you guys keep the national championship between you guys. Keep at it! You guys rock!
-Stephen S: Steve! You’re the man. Its always fun hangin out with you and your dad at tournaments (don’t worry—he’ll get his thanks at the end of the post ;p). Good luck buddy, you’re a great player and a great friend!
-John K (Tex): Johnny, Johnny, Johnny…where do I begin? You’re a smart kid. You’re politics might be…off…haha, you know I’m just messin’. Good luck buddy. Say hi to your brother for me, Ace!
-Eric C: Eric, thanks for all your deck help over the past few years. You’ve been really helpful in helping me out at nationals and worlds, and its been fun hanging out with you! Good luck buddy!
-Ryan V, Omar, Ross, Ash, AJ, Pablo, Absolution, Coates, Daco, Blizzard, and anyone else I’m forgetting, thanks for everything. Long Live Lafonte!

Pokemon People:
-Pokepop (Mike M): Mike, thanks for being such a great guy, and a great judge. You've made tournaments a lot more stable, and you're on the ball when it comes to rulings. Good luck to you and your family.
-Bulbasnore (Kim C): Great mod, great guy. Good luck to you and your son. Thanks for your friendship.
-Zina, Randy, Tatiana, and Tad: you guys rock! It’s been great seeing you at tournaments and getting to know the family. Good luck to all of you and thanks for everything!
-Fulop: so I’m sure you’re not gonna read this, since you don’t check here, but thanks for all the help over the years. You’ve been a good friend buddy, so stay in touch. Good luck this season.
-Bob K: PokeMeBob! Thanks for everything. Its always cool workin’ with you at tournaments. You’re the best!
-Catherine S, Andrea S, Rob L and anyone else who I’m forgetting: thanks for including me in the community. It’s been great seeing many of you guys over the years and getting to know everyone. To anyone I haven’t met, I regret it. Anyone who is thinking about playing the game—PLAY IT!!! It’s a lot of fun, and the best people play. There is no other game like it.

PUI:
-Mike Liesik, Dave Schwimmer, and Pete de Shaw: thanks for everything, sincerely. You guys are incredible, and you give the players a lot of respect and feedback, and have proven that you guys really care about what we think. Thanks for being so cool with me over the years, and for making this game so memorable and really enjoyable.
-Angela, Kellyn, and the rest of the company: I just wanted to say that if you all weren’t in the company, I don’t think this game would be as fun. There is no other game company I know that cares for its players as much, and knows the players so well. It’s like we’re a family. Thanks everyone. You all rule.

There are four people who I’d especially like to thank. All three of these awesome guys have given me so much in the game and have been such great friends.
-Johnnyblaze (John C): Johnny, I remember when we first met back in Albany years ago at the Toys R Us league. It was incredible when I saw you again at Timewarp, and we realized we met such a long time ago. These kind of things are the things I love the most about the game, and thanks for being part of it. Your son is growing up to be an awesome kid. Good luck to you, Dawn Marie, and Nick, and everyone else in Albany. Thanks for everything buddy.
-John S (Sniper): John Silvestro…youuu rascal….Thanks for everything buddy. You’ve been a great friend over the years, and have given me the boost of confidence I need. I know you said that the game is better off with me, and I wish I could stay with it. Whenever you get a chance, be sure to give me a call—I’d really like to know how you’re doing. Thanks for everything dude.
-Steve A (Pokedaddy): You’re awesome Steve. It’s always a pleasure seeing you at nationals and worlds (and NY states!). Good luck to you and Thomas and the rest of your family. You’re raising a great kid, but you didn’t need me to tell you that—he’s destined for greatness. Catch ya later buddy, and thanks for everything.
-Ronae C: Ronae, thanks for always letting me volunteer at worlds and nationals. You’ve always been really nice to me. Thanks for everything, and good luck to the rest of the family. I have a lot of faith in Aaron, and I’m sure he’ll go far.

So, for those who know me, I’m currently a junior at Drew University in Madison, NJ. I’m majoring in biochemistry, and I’m pre-med. I’m sure there are other pre-med people out there who play Pokemon like me.

There’s some stuff most people don’t know about me though, and that’s that I was really lazy during my freshman year. As a result, I have to make up for it by doing incredibly well now, and it’s very difficult due to the magnitude of the classes I’m taking. Honestly, I haven’t looked at a card since worlds because I’ve been so busy. My days have become longer due to me getting maybe 5 hours of sleep each night for the past 5 weeks. I’ve wanted to be a doctor for as long as I could remember, and I intend to be one, no matter how much extra schooling and sacrifices I need to make to get there.

I know tournaments such as Nationals and Worlds aren’t until the summer, but I will be taking classes during that time, and over winter break, I’ll be preparing for the MCATs. From here, it’s only going to get tougher, but this is the path I chose, and I intend to stick with it. I really do hate saying this, because I love this game and the people I’ve met over the years so much, but, this is goodbye for me. Everyone I’ve met has impacted my life somehow, and I thank you all for being a part of it. Being a Professor and being able to travel the US to play in major tournaments has been an incredible, unforgettable ride, and I loved every bit of it, both the ups and downs. Thanks everyone, for including me in this great community and for allowing me to be part of your family. Good luck to everyone this season. Of course, I'd love to keep in touch with everyone I've met over the years. You know where to find me!

See ya later!

Ben Richlin, aka, Benlugia

Last edited:
Ben: Good luck!

I know how it is.
I nearly flunked out Sophomore year at Columbia, but I was able to turn it around and wind up with a 3.5 at the end of it all.
You can do it too!
See you when your time frees up.
Pop

=[ im going to miss you Benny ...

now i we cant crack jokes on each other anymore lol...

hopefully if you want we could keep in touch? =]
*cut your hair chris..**looks like a ball on the back of your head * lol

best wishes and all the best to you and your career

~Christian Ortiz

Good luck, Ben.

Take care.

Cheers

Jason
(An aussie, you probs met once whenever I not notice or whatever...Lol)

Benny, I will talk to you on the phone or over AIM, but as for this post all I have to say is read PokePop's signature. :tongue:

Drew

Even though I may have never met you, good luck in the future, you never know what's around the corner :wink:

~The Doctor

Hey, it was cool meeting you for the first time at worlds 06.(ha, we ran into each other at disney land that weekend too ;x)

Sad to see you leave the game, but major props to knowing where your priorities lie. :thumb:

-David "Its so cold brah" Coates

Good luck in college Ben you know you can acheive it, but ya hard work is hard work and time consuming. Well good luck doing what you wanna do, and hopefully will see you eventually when you get it all settled out.

The many years we've known each other, you were a wonderful person. I'm sorry to hear that you have to leave, but it's for the best. I wish you lots of luck on your future endeavors. It was great knowing you, Benny.

Take Care,
-Peter

Ben - What is RIGHT with the Game!

Ben -

To describe you in three words....

1. Trustworthy
2. Genuine
3. Caring​

Trustworthy: There are very few folks on this planet that I would entrust my son to hang with while I judge. You are one of them. You always carry through on your commitments and by your presence, dignify friendship.

Genuine: There is no facade or charade when your a friend of Ben. You know that you are the real deal as a person and a friend.

Caring: Need I say more. Your post here is one that exemplifies all that is RIGHT with this game.

I refuse to accept good bye from you though. Good bye has such a tone of finality. I will say see you soon, keep in touch, and be true to yourself. You are bright, young, and have the rest of your life ahead of you.

As always, if you need a place to stay in Boston, my home is open.

We'll be talking soon....

Very Respectfully,
Steve

Ben, Thanks for the kind words.Know the feeling is mutual.

Remember what I told you at worlds , well every bit of it is true my friend. You WILL make a
difference in people's lives and make the world a better place one day. For that you will always
have my respect . You also have a big heart and you don't cave into peer pressure- a testiment
to your charactor and the person you are. Good for you Ben!

I agree with Mr. Arena though, goodbye has such a tone of finality. Drop us a line every now and
then Ben, you will always be a part of the Pokemon Family. Like it or not ;)

Be well Ben, your friend John.

Sad to see you leave the game, but major props to knowing where your priorities lie. :thumb:

I second that.

Best wishes in your schooling. Perhaps you'll be back after you finish. If you work with children you'll have pokemon to talk about. Clip a Pikachu to your stethoscope as an ice-breaker! :smile:

Good luck in all your endeavors.

Nanette

You aren't gone, just on break :biggrin:

Good Luck Ben!! Keep focused on the future and things will fall into place for you. The next bunch of years will be tough for you, but you have a great head on your shoulders and I know you'll be successful .....then you can come back and play some more.

Later,

Clay

No wonder I haven't seen you at an event in like, forever... Anyway-Good Luck Benny, hope to see you again sometime!

-Evan

to quote a known Gym truth

"Anyone who as ever made an "I'm going away post" has come back"

just in case though

good luck and It was fun playing you the few times I did.:thumb:

Benny,

I feel like I was always the toughest on you. You were someone who always treated it as more than just a game, in only the best way. You can see how much you'll be missed. I already made clear to you what I hope can happen for Worlds. I'm glad I encouraged you to make this post, because its only a see you later based on Moss's theory.

"Don't say good bye, I know good bye, and good bye is forever. Say good night, fare thee well, whatever have you may, but not good bye." -Stormin Norman

Back