Some things you learn, others you simply know...

Discussion in 'State/Province/Territory Championships' started by Pablo, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Pablo

Pablo New Member

And Pokemon TCG is one thing I know pretty darn well ;)

So after CC's, Pokemon TCG was on a pause for me. I knew I'd be attending States, but I simply did not have the time or even will to practice and playtest every matchup and every card of my deck like I had in other years. Chemical Engineering is a very tough degree. So I wanted to go to see my friends, and just have a fun day.

I ended up arriving late, because I was too lazy in the morning hehe, I should've LEFT the house at 9:30am, instead of WAKING up at 9:30 am :p. I of course missed my friends where we had arranged to meet, and so I was off on my own for the full 2 hour trip.

I got there at 12:15, literally seconds before Round 1 started, but it was too late as I didn't even have my decklist done. This led me to entering the tournament with a Round 1 loss for tardiness, and this had me really upset. I had not played for 2 months, I was using a deck I had only built the night before, with a few improvised cards AND no knowledge of what GE cards did or anything, and to top it off, having a Round 1 loss meant I had NO margin for error during my games if I wanted to even accomplish something.

Round 1 lasted what it seemed like forever to me, and I just sat there watching some friendlies, as I couldn't even say hi to my friends yet. Finally Round 1 was up and I started chatting up with friends and I was just happy to be there. I used Typhlo/Magmortar/Delcatty, Round 2 was posted and here's how it all went down:

Round 2 vs Exploud/Lucario

I literally had to read Exploud every time because of the so many possible outcomes of its firs attack :p. Once I got a Delcatty out though, not playing Trainers didn't hurt me, I was more worried about Confusion, but Magmortars swarming and healing themselves was too much for so little damage Exploud dealt.

1-0

Round 3 vs Wobbuffet/Dusknoir

These were cards I DID know what they do, and Dusknoir was a bit bothersome, limiting my Typhlosion bench option, but his deck simply didn't deal enough damage to threaten me.

2-0

Round 4 vs Houndoom/Absol

VERY VERY annoying deck, and I was very worried about Absol. He started off with a quick Houndoom tearing me to pieces (his attack for only DC is BROKEN) but low HP plus no draw help, PLUS Pachirisu discarding 3 Cessations at once helped me just overpower him with my high HP guys.

3-0

Round 5 vs Blissey/Banette

I knew when he flipped Chansey over all I needed was to get set up. Pachirisu dealt with Cessations, and Banette did LOL damage, so once a Magmortar was able to OHKO 2 Blissey's it was game over. In the end the guy played a POKEMON REVERSAL, which got him a Game Loss for our Round, but I had him beat anyhow.

4-0

Round 6 vs Gallade/Gardevoir

THIS was the matchup I was waiting for the WHOLE day. I knew my deck was strong against it, but I didn't know HOW strong. He was playing really slow, so I called a judge over to watch him play as I knew the game was going to be intense and to the last prize (which it did!) but the judge left soon. I called another judge, and he agreed to a time extension if necessary. the guy got mad at me for asking this, but w/e. The game was close, trading OHKO's, having to discard ugly Unown G's with Pachirisu, but as I expected, Gallade ran out of steam when their prizes were flipped over, and I was able to easily switch between Magmortars to heal off any residuals. Typhlosions attack was too key for this matchup. In the end the guy was up 1-2 in prizes (I knew I still had the game but was taking my time in thinking the exact plays) AND he ends up rushing ME when he's up on prizes lol, what's up with that?

EDIT: as my Round 6 opponnent corrected me, he didn't actually play Unown G's, so I must have confused some games and I never did end up discarding an Unown G with a Pachirisu :tongue:
    5-0

So I know I made Top 8, but the pressure of single elim has been onto me since round 2 :p. I dunno what seed I made it in, standings were never posted, I assume 2nd or 3rd though.

Top 8 vs Gallade/Gardevoir

After my 'testing' form the previous Round, I knew how to play this better. I made key Typhlosion discards earlier than the last game, and this allowed me to get a clear win of 3-0 in prizes. Not much to relate here, Magmortar Lv. X is sick sick sick.

Top 4 vs Gallade/Gardevoir

This guy actually beat the only Feraligatr deck in Top 8, whom I would've faced if he hadn't beat him, so I was thankful to get good matchup over a most likely autoloss. Intense game again, but I misplayed once by forgetting to use my Typhlosions Poke-Powers =/. I also wasted a Warp Point unnecessarily, but in the end, the most damage he could do was 50 or 60, so he got overpowered with all 4 DRE's in the discard.

Top 2 vs Gallade/Gardevoir vs our National Champion 2007!

This is the 2nd time I've faced him in a final this season, first a BR and now here. I wanted to beat him now because it mattered more than the BR, and I did! :D Again, I knew the matchup very well now. He made better moves by using Unown G, Cresselia Lv. X for healing AND Potions, but the lack of Plus Powers made him have to flip even more prizes to OHKO my guys, so I won this.

And so this is my FIRST ever State Championship win after 5 seasons! The most I had gotten was 3rd in 2004, 3rd in 2005, 2nd x2 in 2006 and 2nd in 2007. Always so close yet so far.

This 8-0 should push me a bit up in the rankings ;). Did I get motivated enough here to go play at Texas? MAYBE!

Hope you enjoyed reading.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  2. Smeagol

Smeagol New Member

Congrats Pablo. Was this in Mexico DF?

3. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

How do you remove Unown G's with Pachirisu?

4. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Smeagol - Thanks, but no this wasnt MExico DF, it was Edo. de Mexico. Same people same competition though.

Prime - They are Pokemon Tools when attached ;).

5. Jason

Jason New Member

Wow.... Gj Pablo... The first round loss must've pay off to get you to play vs bad players at start. =D

6. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

Nice, impressive Pablo.

7. eriknance

eriknance New Member

But the Unown G attachment prevents all effects of an attack (excluding damage), including the discarding of the tool itself.

By the way, great job on an 8-0 record. :thumb: I'm impressed.

8. TODDakaESTEBAN

TODDakaESTEBAN New Member

BUT smash short is an effect of an attack

9. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

yes, but unown g says that the pokemon it is attached to is not affected by effects of attacks, meaning that Pachirisu's attack would not affect that pokemon, meaning that there would be no discard.

10. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Oh lol, guess everyone needs to read cards better here :p. Wouldn't have made any difference ;) Thanks for pointing that out though.

11. evil psyduck

evil psyduck Moderator Trader Feedback Mod

You better check because discarding a tool is an affect of the attack and so you can not discard unknown G. Here is a link to the ruling.

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68186

12. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Oopsie!

Congrats on the Championship.
    Hope the judge is reading this.
    Unown G prevents the discard...

13. Adam Garcia

Adam Garcia New Member

pablo congrats PLZ COME TO TX!!!!

14. Shellshock929

Shellshock929 <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

Wow that's something I would never expect. Someone with a first round loss winning States undefeated through the rest of the tournament. What better person than Pablo? Good Job and Congrats! Enjoy Mexican Nats!

-Peter

15. TheDarkTwins

TheDarkTwins Active Member

Now would that prevent you from discarding Unown G in the hand of the opponents? hmmm, tough question there.

Congrats Pablo, WTG!!

Drew

16. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Since you don't discard it, you don't get to look at the hand.
    Even if you did get to look at the hand (say you discarded unown E) you wouldn't find any tool named Unown in the hand. It's a Pokemon in the hand.

by the way, this is in the rulings update

17. bulbasnore

bulbasnore Administrator Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Thanks for the report & congrats. Come to CA for states. You can read some Chemical Engineering texts (or perhaps the Compendium LvX) while you are on the flight, but do set your alarm!

18. dtrain

dtrain New Member

Hey congrats Pablo. Man what a read.

19. Magnechu

Magnechu Active Member

:D
    Good job Pabs.

And yes you can have the Togekiss :p

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  20. Freddy K.

Freddy K. New Member

Pab. Lo. F. T. W.