Something fun: Azumarill

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Escata, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escata

Escata New Member

Before anyone starts yelling that this deck is bad and would never have a chance in a tournament, there is no need to warn me because I know. :tongue: Tournament is not its purpose. This deck of azumarill was created as a way to give good use of many cards I had that keep accumulating and are never used in major decks (you'll see the unusual things I talk about). It's a " secondary deck", an underpowered deck made of other decks leftovers which is meant only to be played for fun (preferencially, against another "secondary deck").

Here it is:

Pokémon: 19
    4 Azurill
    4 Marill
    4 Azumarill
    2 Unown O
    2 Unown N
    3 Unown E

Energy: 13
    6 Water Energy
    4 Double Rainbow Energy
    3 Scramble Energy

Trainers: 28
    2 Copycat
    4 Professor Oak's Research
    3 Team Galatic's Wager

4 Energy Removal 2
    3 Poké Ball
    3 Great Ball
    2 Night Maintenance

*Random trainers:7 (Right now it is like this, but I experiment everything here)
    2 Battle Frontier
    2 Holon Legacy
    3 Super Scoop Up

Strategy:
    Make the [O] [N] [E] combo as fast as possible, reduce the number of cards in your hand by playing non-supporters or benching pokémon, so you could use unown's O poké-power to draw a lot of cards. Energize and attack with Azumarill forever.

It looks simple but is a lot more complicated.

You have to reduce your hand to 1 card to use unown's power. Because of that , anytime you have a pokémon in your hand , bench it (or evolve it); if you have an energy, attach it; if you have a trainer, use it. If Pokéball, Energy Removal 2 and Super Scoop up flip tails, at least it contributed to reduce your hand. The deck runs few supporters and energy cards, so they wouldn't accumulate in your hand too often. The supporters are all the suffling type, so you'll have a bigger chance of drawing 4 or 5 cards, get rid of all of them to use unown's power to draw more 6 cards.

There are 15 basic pokémon, which increases the chances of getting 2 different Unowns in the beginning of the game, and avoids starting with Marril. The best thing is to evolve Marril from Azurill in turn 1, so when it evolve to Azumarill, the paralysis bonus will be available. With this many basic pokémon, the bench will get full quite easily. When it happens, you can make Unown E a pokémon tool to make some space. Azurill and can be played and evolved to Marill in the same turn, both occupying only one space in your bench. Marill does 30 damage with one energy, so next turn Azumarril may do 40 with two or 60 with three (possibly a KO in T2).

DRE and Scramble are a necessity, even an evolved Marill can have them attached. Great Ball is mainly for adquiring needed unowns at the right time and is very easy to be played to reduce hand too. Azumarrill is obtained as you draw cards or if you flip heads with pokéball. Finally, stadiums are simple to play and have advantageous effects... just don't use 4 of a type since you can't play a stadium if there is another one with the same name.

If anybody read until here, I don't even need to point out that poké-power (unown's and azurill's) is everything in this deck. Stopping them is fatal... (Gardevoir). Low HP Basic and vulnerable pokémon are crucial too (Flygon ex d, Empoleon, Dusknoir). Even something that counters special energy cards (Shuckle, Porygon Z lv.X) is a problem. Attacks that deal 90 are sure 1HKO, truly sad... Ho-oh is a monster if it consecutively flips heads.

Anyway, this deck is incredibly fun to play in a free, no comitted match against less powerful decks. Sometimes energy removal 2 hurts your opponent, so does 60 damage and paralyzing. I KOed a flygon ex once this way: three attacks, twice in a row paralyzing. But just once in my life... I rarely paralyze because I am unlucky to flip coins...

I posted the deck list here just to show something different from the main stream of used cards. I believe everyone should try at least once to invent decks completely from nothing like this one, using unknown or underused trainers and pokémon. Doesn't matter if isn't too competitive if it is for fun, right? =]
    (As long as it has an interesting strategy...)

In any case... if anyone tries to test it... I would appreciate suggestions to improve this deck as much as possible (as long as they maintain the main idea ) :smile:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. Blaziken 1111

Blaziken 1111 Active Member

wouldn't it be funner if you take out 2 unoun e's and put in 2 unoun d's.

3. Ra2xse

Ra2xse New Member

Why Holon Legasys?

4. Escata

Escata New Member

2 Unown D instead of 2 Unown E?

Could be. It will depend on my opponent if I buy a prize card or a normal card with [N][O][D], but at least I could use Unown D's power to draw cards if I flip heads. I would need to increase the number of trainers that draw cards and change a little the strategy too.

I'll try that. Can be an "alternate" Azumarril deck.
    (the reaseon i didn't use Unown D first was because there wasn't room for four unown in the bench... I never thought of replacing Unown E for it the way you said =])

----------------
    I use Holon Legacys just to counter some decks eventually (mainly Flygon d, Milotic d, Altaria ex d and Nidoqueen d), the same with battle frontier. Right now there isn't any Stadium that really helps this deck(Phoebe's stadium, Glacia's stadium or Moonlight stadium don't help much). Battle frontier and Holon legacy block a lot of pokémon and they don't interefere with my own poképowers. Since there isn't any strong water weak delta pokémon, I wouldn't be helping my opponent with Legacy.

Legacy is a "random trainer"... I may switch it for another useful one, eventually, dependidng of the case. =]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.