Spare Change

Discussion in 'Anime Realm' started by Psycho_Lugia_X, Jan 13, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Psycho_Lugia_X

Psycho_Lugia_X New Member

As a lighter thread, when compared to my other thread, I have always noticed something whenever i check out reruns of Pokémon on the WB weekday lineup, and now even on Cartoon Network.

That observation is change in the show. Notice how characters, themes, plots have changed over the lengthy existance of the show. Think back to season one, now look at last week's eps. So much has changed.

The music (ah, the music), the voices (ok, not so much, but kinda), the characters, the animation (a double-bladed axe), and much more.

Anyone else notice changes in the show? I wish i could start off, but hey, finals start tomorrow and i am behind schedule. Trust me, this weekend, I'm going to give you a Russian Novel!

Just to give a nudge to a good starting point: the animation changed right around the end of Master Quest, more specifically the ep where Larvitar started walking around-ish. If you dont know what im talking about, look at a recent ep and look at the first season. Weird huh?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  2. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

James, especially. He went from having this really kool voice to sounding like a whiny...................... (not allowed to say the word)

3. Joe Monkey

Joe Monkey New Member

What, I think James is funnyer this way. And boy you don't know what whiny is, my brothers are whiny>_<*

4. Psycho_Lugia_X

quick note on James: yeah, definate improvement to his character over time.

5. The Fish King

The Fish King New Member

Well, for one thing, Pikachu is about 10 pounds skinnier and 700 times stronger than the first episode. :rolleyes:

6. Marril

Marril New Member

I dunno. That thunder-sphere that KO'ed all those Spearow would be a godlike move if he could ever use it again. Danged rat isn't even that high a level, too.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  7. The Fish King

The Fish King New Member

The only way Pikachu was able to do that in the first episode was because he convieniantly got struck by lightning just at the right moment.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  8. Psycho_Lugia_X

I dunno...Pika's been through 16+ gyms, two Leagues, and numerous battles. I dont like how he got owned by Norm in the ep a coupla weeks ago. Norm is only the 5th gym in Hoenn, and Pika shoulda been able to smack him around. Usually u r at 50ish when u first challenge the Elite 4, so since Pika has been around twice he should be quite. quite strong.

I dont like hwo they are going all Digimon on us; theres always something stronger so there's no way to tell just how strong someone is...its like whatever suits the writers' purposes.

And Pika should have tons of attacks by now...use em!

9. The Fish King

The Fish King New Member

If you didn't notice, Pikachu was just fine after the battle with Vigoroth. Ash was the one who stopped the match.

10. Mr. Grass

Mr. Grass New Member

I don't think it would be very realistic to have all the gyms in ascending level like in the video game. In the video game it's just a convenient way to keep the game moving at a good pace. In the "real" world of Pokemon all of the Gyms would have tough pokemon.

11. Psycho_Lugia_X

Good point Mr. Grass!

But that would be very very cool if they made poké more realistically...like Toshihiro Ono's comic...a must read...they present the show in a pretty realistic manner (did u see that Onyx?!!).

I was watching the show this morning before, acing my finals today, and noticed that they are calling Todd Snap...did i imagine the name Todd? I feel like i passed out and missed something...

Also, didnt it seem like the longer the show went on the more Ash insisted on helping people. I actually think they are giving the wrong message to kids...help out/talk to total strangers...if you're lucky they might let u ride in their car and give u a ride to wherever you need to go! LOL!

I wish Ash and Co. would have some more me-time episodes and not blindly help people. While it is nice, it kinda takes away from the spirit of the show.

Also, Team Rocket started off so sinister...we need some Toshihiro Ono Team Rocketness (fistfights! WOO! lol) They need to get away with some stuff too...that's why i hate roadrunner, Coyote never wins....and also thos stupid kids in the Trix commercial; give the poor guy some stupid Trix!

They also used to go to more intersting places. A coupla weeks ago i noticed Ash and Co. seem to always be in some kind of forest. There was always some place intersting in the first few seasons...remember the House of Duplicae? The unsanctioned hym of AJ? The cabin where Bulba hung out? Saffron City?

The cities need more depth...Goldenrod was pretty cool.

Also, notice how Pika became a lot more tame...u'd think he'd still shock some strangers...

Also notice how many individual guest stars there were? Now there are pretty plain guest stars...they need some of the old flare back. By guest star i mean like AJ, Todd/Snap, Tombo (kangaskahn kid), Seymore the Scientist (he was hilarious!), and Sabrina (and the very interesting subplot that came with her).

They need more random episodes too. Remember when they used to be like one place one day then 180 to a new location...it was refreshing...not just forest to forest. They take liberties with towns, inventing them left and right, but they never take as many liberties with physical locations. They invent a city of Wooper or something between two real cities from the game, but they dont take as many liberties with like adding a desert between two cities. Maybe they got lost again...simple for writers to find a way into these new locations. They really should put some new locations in.

Also, there were a bunch of made up events that were entertaining. Nowadays, not so much. They used to stumble into pretty interesting events and took part. Like the pokérace (see T. Ono's comic for a cool perspective), the festival with the dead girl, stuff like that. The only recent one i can think of is...how about that, i cant think of one lol!

Also the music was much more inventive. They still have some hanging around but not as frequent. Remember the "Mysterious" song (that's what i call it) that premiered in the Bill/Lighthouse ep (im pretty sure) and that one--i call it Ash's theme--where there are a lot of drums and trumpets...that one, you know the one...argh...wish you guys were psychic or something...

Oh, and is that new peice of music the Japanese theme? I noticed they have a new bground song or maybe even more...but anyways, anyone know if it's the Japanese theme? I know they did it with the Johto Journeys saga "Golden Sun, Silver Moon."

And man they need those ending themes back just cut out Teen Titans and replace it with 30 minutes of commercials so we can have our ending themes back!!! I loved em.

About the voices, i think Eric Stuart is a great James! I like how they changed up James so he's not as...excentric...but still wacky...i loved that episode where James became a Mighty Moltres! Loved that ep!!! James finally got the respect he deserved and gave that Victreebell what for!

Same thing with Meowth. He's cool now...but they need more Meowth eps. Even my MOM tuned in for a rerun of "Go West, Young Meowth!" They need more Ash and Co./TR mix ups too (when members get swapped). i liked that one where Misty goes to TR because we get to learn about the group on a more personal level...Brock makes 'em sandwiches...imagine that!
    The BIG question i have is this: what do you guys think of the new animation? I have been waiting forever for them to revamp the tired out animation. I have a little chart in my mind about the animation of the show. It started out great...stylized, smart, fluid...then it got a little plainer into the Orange Islands. But it was still good. Along came late Johto Journeys and the animation became kinda robotty. They sunk into a dangerously-close to-Gundam-Wing style. Only lips move. Blink if you're lucky, but just lips and little action. Then when amids the darkness of bland colors and minimal movement, the light of late Master Quest assuaged the pain we (or at least I) felt! The new animation was sleek, bold, and movement oriented! But it seems to lack the heart of the first few seasons...i dunno. But i prefer this new facade over the Master Quest blandness.

I liked their randomly creative episodes...but none too recently. What i mean is like when Ash became a Pikachu, but that ep could have been slightly improved (more Pikash), and when TR got fired (my mom overheard the dialog and started asking why they were talking about economics, unemployment, and pesion funds on a kids show! lol). Happy times.

To sum up the above: the show needs some more pure fun episodes. And with that, i'm off!

12. Joe Monkey

Joe Monkey New Member

I said it before and I'll say it again. What happend to being a master? I wanabe a hero?
    shouldn't Ash be a master first then be a hero? I still like the first opening, mostly the movie mix.

And now that I think about it, Yeah what happend to location. Is Hoen realy this way or what? I think some new blood is needed at the stuido for better and new idels.

13. Eevee234

Eevee234 New Member

My question is in the 1st episode Ash said "I'm gonna be a pokemon master!" Ahem, if you want to be a pokemon master aren't you supposed to catch all the pokemon? Ash just goes by helping the legendary pokemon. He'll never catch all the pokemon like that. Did you also notice that basically all his pokemon has not evolved. Squirtle from the Season1 episode still didn't evolve!

14. Psycho_Lugia_X

Yeah...he/they never catch people...just travel and help.

There were more frequent catches back then...

Today's episode was pretty fun huh? I really hope they make the 2 new teams more diabolical/sinister than TR. In Toshihiro Ono's comic (THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!) he made TR evil, but funny...Giovani had to sign evil plan to take over the world #something and when a grunt gave him the paper he went,"Okie-dokey." Stuff like that...plus TR wasnt afraid to flex their muscle.

But yeah, we need a light hearted bad guy (TR) and some heavier stuff to drag the good guys down. They need a truely bad set of bad guys. Butch and Cassidy are kinda like that; they do their evil job to the best of their abilities.

Remember when Brock premiered? he was hard-core. Even arrogant. Be cool if we had the old brock skin with Kaiba soul combo back...pretty scary, but cool. And what is the deal with all these trainers who master a type yet never seem to maintain that type in their team? Brock is getting a little too varied...

15. Water Pokemon Master

Water Pokemon Master <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

The reason the eps got higher quality was because in the Elekid ep, they switched to digital animation.

As for Todd/Snap, he was originally named Todd, but they changed it to Snap after the release of Pokemon Snap.

16. Psycho_Lugia_X

Ah! i c said the blind-mute man.

So what i really want to know is what other people think about the new animation. I posted how i feel about it...nice, bold colors and more action, but seems to lack the heart of the original animation...but how do other people feel about it? Am i alone in liking it? Is it the 8th Edition card face of Magic for the Pokéshow for people other than me?

Also...notice they keep adding these bizzare subtitles to the new seasons? I think they could be avoided...it's like taking away from the classical feel of the show...it's like your making it out to be a totaly new and seperate show all together. It loses its impact with "Wow, this show has been on for years!"

Anyways, the animation thing is a burning question in my mind so please opine!

17. Joe Monkey

Joe Monkey New Member

Yes, I do like the new animation. But I still like the old stuff, theres just some thing about it.

18. Water Pokemon Master

I agree. The old episodes have a weird feeling to them when you watch them, probably because it has something to do with reliving older memories and associating Pokemon with earlier years. For example, when I watch the Sabrina eps when Pika battles Kadabra, I get this really strong feeling because I remember watching that ep so many years ago and by hearing the music, it gives me goosebumps.

Also, many people at other message boards such as the PokeMasters and Serebii.net and me wish they would put in some more of the original BGM, which they have been doing with some of the Hoenn eps. Also, lots of the people who watch the Japanese eps such as me think they should keep in the Japanese music since it is WAY better than the American music. If you want an example of the Japanese music, watch Pokemon 4Ever and Pokemon Heroes since the music in the movies was not changed from the Japanese version.

19. Elite Trainer Raven

Elite Trainer Raven New Member

Sadly, not much of the Japanese music's being retained in the new Advance Generations episodes. Same goes for Pokémon with the same names in both languages. They're redubbing the names with the same bland, talentless actors (and they usually end up sounding terrible..though the only one that sounded very nice was Blaziken's).

If you ask me, they should have made more Gym Leaders like the ones in the Pokémon Special mangas that go back to Red, Green and Blue's roots. It's really interesting seeing corrupt Gym Leaders (especially Koga being an executive of the Rocket Gang). Right now, Advance Generation's going to its roots..the games. Satoshi/Ash's participating in Gyms were the leaders have used pretty much the exact Pokémon while Haruka/May participates in Contests. Not giving Satoshi all three starters of the Hoenn region is so much better because it usually always gave him the unfair advantage. It's better seeing him with a variety of Pokémon (currently in Japan, he carries around Pikachu, Tailow, Treecko, Torkoal and Corphish).

For those who might expect Shigeru/Gary to come back, don't get your hopes up. When Satoshi bid him farewell before heading off to Hoenn, the Japanese writers pretty much wrote him out of the show due to the Japanese seiyuu (voice actor) of Shigeru left the spot. And we know they wouldn't replace the character's voice like American dubs do.

Concerning why Pikachu didn't do anything to Vigoroth, try to understand that it was their first Gym match (though unofficial) in a brand new area and they had as to no clue what Vigoroth's attacks were, what type it was or what it could possibly do. Basically, all Pikachu could do was attack Vigoroth head on. Plus it wouldn't be interesting at all to have Satoshi just blow right through Hoenn, now would it? >_> At least it won't be as filler filled as Johto was.

If you ask me, I think they should bring more episodes with Team Magma and Team Aqua. Heck, make them get involved with the Rocket Gang. Have one big Gang War. Unfortunately..episodes that don't involve the main characters are pretty much skipped in the US (several Advance Generations specials have been skipped, such as a new trainer leaving Masara/Pallet Town to become a new trainer while Butch and Cassidy try to steal the Pokémon in Oak's lab).

20. Water Pokemon Master

Hehe, I like you Elite Trainer Raven. You know a lot about the Japanese Anime like I do, which is pretty rare at this message board. PM me and I will tell you two message boards where people like us go to talk about the Japanese/American Anime.

4Kids decided they are not going to dub the specials, so we will never see them in English. I want to see the one with Celebi so bad.