Starter for Kingdra?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by DarthPika, Jul 22, 2008.

1. DarthPika

DarthPika New Member

I was just going over older cards for decks and found the DP Munchlax. With it being able to discard energy early one does anyone else here think it could be a good starter in Kingdra?

2. Brawler

Brawler <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

I know Kingdra's not a donk deck, but- why does it need a starter?

3. Blaziken 1111

Blaziken 1111 Active Member

I use baltoy or horsey for a starter and they both work. Munchlax would be fun but it just wont work because early game you need the energy for its attack.

4. Umbreon777

Umbreon777 New Member

Kyogre, IMO, is better. 3 energy by T2, and discard them with its 2nd attack.

5. DarthPika

DarthPika New Member

Do you have the spoiler for it?

6. Time for Pain

Time for Pain <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

Kyogre LV.47 – Water – HP100
    Basic Pokemon

[.] Drizzle: Attach up to 2 Basic Water Energy cards from your hand to 1 of your Pokemon.
    [W][W][C] High Tide: 60 damage. Discard 2 Water Energy attached to Kyogre and do 20 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokemon.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
    Resistance: none
    Retreat: 3

7. DarthPika

DarthPika New Member

Hmm... I like that. I hadn't seen that card yet, IDK how I missed it. lol

8. Banette EX

Banette EX New Member

I mentioned in several threads yet people didnt even notice?? My goodness people dont look at all the cards.

9. octillery49

octillery49 New Member

Horsea is the ultimate starter for Kingdra. You want to be able to start using Dragon Pump T2 as often as
    possible.

10. ShadowGuard

ShadowGuard <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

If you run a starter, you still can reatreat and attack T2 (and have your first water nrg discarded), the only thing is you can't attack T1 if your opponent goes first (but this is an 8% rate, or actually only 4% since you have 50/50 who goes first).

You don't play Call Energy in Kingdra, so there should be some starter.

I would consider something like Lapras, since it has high HP and you play only water energy anyway. You'll get energy on your hand for future discard while you search for supporters to build up your deck.

Wasn't there any new ruling for Technical Machines to count as tools? If this is the case, Lapras can also search for that evolution TM. Amulet Coin is another option for additional draw in early game. Since you discard a lot it wouldn't hurt Claydol.

11. mrdraz07

mrdraz07 New Member

Chatot, DUH. You don't care about discarding early game, you just care about finding your Claydol and Rare Candy/Kingdra.

12. MrMeches

MrMeches New Member

Lapras is actually a nice idea so you can grab Water Energy, Felicity and pick a tool, any tool!

13. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

Darthpika, what have you been using as the starter for Kingdra in your testing?

14. DarthPika

DarthPika New Member

Nothing ATM. I don't have a list yet, but was just thinking of a few ideas for a posible starter.

15. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki New Member

Horsea is the best starter for Kingdra. It doesn't really need to setup anything and SmokeScreen is an incredible attack. You also run the evolution TM.

16. Naki Feralkin

Naki Feralkin New Member

Kyogre and Chatot. Kyogre can build some time to get your Kingdras setup, and discards with an incredible attack. Chatot can draw for you if needed.

Uhm, Smokescreen is good against mostly any deck that doesn't evolve T1-2, since doesn't it go away upon evolution? :p

17. Phazon Elite

Phazon Elite New Member

Using Lapras is like asking your opponent to Wager you.

Kyogre looks pretty pimp if you max out on Roseanne's, though

18. Black Mamba

Black Mamba New Member

Just play like 14 Horseas. It fits perfectly into the strategy of the deck.

19. DarthPika

DarthPika New Member

If only you could lol.

20. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki New Member

I like potentially shutting off a Sableye or FarFetch'd. Yeah its not perfect but it has its uses. Its better than say a random 10 damage attack. =)