Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Stat Enhancing Items on High Lvl Pokemon

Dark_Gengar

Can anyone tell me why I can't use stat-enhancing items i.e. Iron, Carbos etc. on my high lvl (Lvl 65 and above) Pokemon? I keep getting the message "it won't have any effect". Is there a cut-off at a certain lvl when those items can't be used anymore? :confused:
Your input is greatly appreciated.

This is probably due to the Pokémon's Effort Values being maxed out in a certain category. Even if you haven't reached the 10 maximum of a vitamin, it can't be used if a Pokémon's EVs are maxed out in that stat, or if all have been used.

I Believe the maxes for ru/sa are either 80 or 100 for using vitimans, and 510 that you can earn overall, and in the old versions, it think that it is 25000 stat experience points is the point where you can't use vitimans.

I wont swear, but I beleive lvl 50 is the cut off. Not sure if that is up to and including, or anything 50 and up cannot. It has been since GSC days. I know it wasnt in RBY, I used to Rare candy to 100, then use all vitamens....

It is i believe, generally better to use them at lowest lvl possible. may not matter though....

I don't think there is a level cut-off. At least, in RS. Not sure about GSC.

All that matters in RS is the amount of effort points a Pokémon has. And they usually all get used up by Lv:50, which could explain why.

There's no level cut off.
Vitamins provide 10 EV points in a particular stat, but can only provide the first 100 EV points in a given stat.
In total a stat can have up to 255 EV points, and the sum of all your stats' EVs can only be 510. At level 65, you almost certainly have at least 100 in most of your stats, and probably have the full 510 points available.

Curiosity has me asking this. Do you get EVs from trainers (in game and Secret Base) as well. i have seen nothing saying yes or no to this. i assume you do, but havent tried (since there really is no physical way to see/tell if you do)

Spectreon said:
Curiosity has me asking this. Do you get EVs from trainers (in game and Secret Base) as well. i have seen nothing saying yes or no to this. i assume you do, but havent tried (since there really is no physical way to see/tell if you do)

You get EVs from the trainer's pokemon, you can plan your strategy if you know which pokemon a certain trainer has. Most of the more rare Pokemon can only be encountered by battling a trainer. I got the EVs on some of my Pokemon maxed by defeating the elite four over and over again. You can find out if your EVs are maxed by visiting the lady next to the "Energy Guru" in Slateport City. If they are maxed she will give you an effort ribbon for your Pokemon.

Dark Gengar, thanks. I figured as much. My idea was to get my friends to put together teams for EV training. With Macho Brace I can get 36 EV points per trainer. There is also a guy who has 2 Magnetons right outside Mauville, so +8 to Sp At. And for some reason he wants to battle every 5 minutes....... I knew abou tthe Slateport lady, and have several effort ribbons.

Oh yeah, can you actually use Pokerus & Macho Brace for a x4 to EV's? And I heard Pokerus still gives a x2 even after it is cured....

That is correct. So, once a Pokémon gets the Pokérus, spread it to all of your Pokémon (and it doesn't get cured if they stay in the box, so keep at least one so you can spread it to more Pokémon). You'll know a Pokémon is cured and can't get infected again when they have a dot near their level in the status screens.

Pokérus = 2x EVs earned in battle
Macho Brace = 2x EVs earned in battle, but Pokémon's Speed is down a level or so (but not permanent)
Pokérus + Macho Brace = 4x EVs, but Pokémon is sluggish in battle (huzzah!)

Speed doesnt bother me, I am usually starting with Pokemon I am EV training, then switch to something High Level, to shrug off attacks.

Ok, this should be the last question. If I max out EVs will stats suffer from using Rare candies, or being traded to lvl up faster? Or will this still cause stat loss?

Spectreon said:
Speed doesnt bother me, I am usually starting with Pokemon I am EV training, then switch to something High Level, to shrug off attacks.

Why not use exp share on the pokemon you want to raise? Saves a lot of time :)

Spectreon said:

Why not use Exp.Share on the Pokemon you are raising? Saves a lot of time when you don't have to constantly switch them around. :)

Yah that happenened to me it said it wont have any effect finally I came to a conclusion that it has to much I was thinking like if you eat to much you will get full so I figures it out like that.

Spectron - after you've used up all of your EVs, feel free to use Rare Candies the rest of the way. They will NOT negatively affect your Pokémon's growth. The only reason it'd be bad at first is because the Pokémon would be raised levels but without getting any EVs.

you can go higher

Spectreon said:
I wont swear, but I beleive lvl 50 is the cut off. Not sure if that is up to and including, or anything 50 and up cannot. It has been since GSC days. I know it wasnt in RBY, I used to Rare candy to 100, then use all vitamens....

It is i believe, generally better to use them at lowest lvl possible. may not matter though....
you can go higher than 50 i used it on my rayquaza lv 75 and it worked.

Ok, that is good to know. i usually use all my Candies on Pokemon for breeding moves. It doesnt learn it til lvl 50, then I catch it, and candy it up.... much faster

As far as Exp share, I dont know about slower or faster. I think it would be a tad faster to switch out while holding Macho brace. Pokemon gains half the experience from battle, and double the EVs. Exp share can help with raising lvls more quickly, if you switch out, but only normal amount of EVs....

Sorry Groudon, it was just what I had heard, I never claimed it as a truth. It is good to know though.I was able to use them on the lvl 50 Latios I had, its EVs were at 0.

Back