Steelix/Xatu (E-on)

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by dkates, Feb 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkates

dkates New Member

I don't have a clever name for this deck yet, but oh, well. Anyway, this is a Modified deck I built recently to replace my Sceptech deck (also posted in this forum). I basically have no Dragons cards, so please don't suggest any. Although, the only one I can think of that would even help is TV Reporter. Thanks to Otaku for the deck idea.

Pokémon (18):
    3 Onix (Sandstorm)
    3 Steelix (Sandstorm)
    3 Natu (Skyridge)
    3 Xatu (Sandstorm)
    2 Dunsparce (Sandstorm)
    2 Wobbuffet (Sandstorm)
    2 Suicune (Aquapolis)

Trainers (22):
    2 Ancient Ruins
    3 Bill's Maintenance
    2 Crystal Shard
    3 Master Ball
    2 Oracle
    2 Power Charge
    2 Professor Birch
    2 Switch
    1 Town Volunteers
    3 Warp Point

Energy (20):
    8 Fighting Energy
    4 Metal Energy
    4 Psychic Energy
    4 Rainbow Energy

Strategy: The idea of this deck is to get a Steelix up and running, preferably with 3 or 4 Metal Energy, and use that and multiple Xatus' Healing Winds to make it hard to Knock Out Steelix. Meanwhile, Steelix uses Spinning Tail to weaken the opponent's Pokémon, especially the bench. If Steelix does get a lot of damage on it and is about to go down, it at least goes out with a bang thanks to Rage. Suicune for anti-Fire, Dunsparce for search, Wobby for anti-ex/anti-Gardy/backup. Trainers should be pretty self-explanatory.
    I don't expect this deck to do especially well against Rayquaza decks, though I have enough tech against it that I might at least have a fighting chance.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  2. Carrington388

Carrington388 New Member

That's a nice balanced build. 18-22-20 is a very good combination of cards.

3. dkates

dkates New Member

For once we agree, Carrington. For E-on at least, having a build that's 20-20-20 or similar seems to work quite well. Thanks for the compliment.

4. dkates

dkates New Member

I'm still trying to tweak this deck. When it works, it's very effective, but it does sometimes have problems with consistency. Can anyone help me with that?

5. SwampertEX

SwampertEX New Member

Ya know, I've been testing a new idea, and I thik I might be able to apply it here:

Pokémon (20):
    3 Onix (Sandstorm)
    3 Steelix (Sandstorm)
    3 Natu (Skyridge)/1 Phanpy, 1 Steelix,1 Sparce
    3 Xatu (Sandstorm)/1 Donphan, 1 Onix, 1 Fett
    2 Dunsparce (Sandstorm)
    2 Wobbuffet (Sandstorm)
    2 Phanpy (Any)
    2 Donphan (Aquapolis)

Trainers (22):
    2 Ancient Ruins
    3 Bill's Maintenance
    2 Crystal Shard
    3 Master Ball
    2 Oracle
    2 Power Charge
    2 Professor Birch
    2 Switch
    1 Town Volunteers
    3 Warp Point

Energy (18):
    7 Fighting Energy
    4 Metal Energy
    3 Psychic Energy
    4 Rainbow Energy

I dunno about this, but it just may work... U may want to do away w/ the Xatu, since the new strat is to Rage, but it's ur choice.

6. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Rule number one with a Gojira deck (that's anything run with Sandstorm Xatu)-always run 4/4, as they are the haet of the deck. With a few of them on the bench, you can stall as long as needed, and in most cases bring up a back-up hitter and go for the kill. Also, I think it is a bad idea to run another Evolution line in the deck.

7. dkates

dkates New Member

Unfortunately for me, I don't own a 4th Sandstorm Xatu.

8. nikePK

nikePK New Member

3/3 xatu seems fine to me. I've not tried your draw engine, so I won't talk about it much. It seems that if Ancient Ruins comes out early, you've got something nice. If it doesn't, then your draw power is most likely less powerful than your opponents. Thats just what it seems like.

Drop 2 energy, you really don't need 20. Especially with your 2 power charges. prolly a fighting and a rainbow should work. I really don't think Suicune is going to be too helpful in this, maybe up the Sparce count in its place? You should also be able to drop the Town Volunteers. With 3 spots left, you can maybe add some Pokenav since u don't want supporters to help w/ Oracling, or maybe 1 more Ancient Ruins and another draw card. Possibly some more healing via Oran berry... I dunno. It doesn't look bad but I think you lose pretty badly to Aggron ex, who has more hp than you, does more damage than you, and still hits the bench like you. Lookin good though, I like how you can abuse warp point. Keep tweaking.

9. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Upon further thought, you should ignore all advice I gave you previously. Either your deck will then fail, proving me right, or you will win, proving me a dunce. ;)

10. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Dropping a Xatu? Don't think so. Once you get four Xatu out and rolling you'll be almost impossible to stop. That's why every deck includes four. Actually there are two reasons:

1) To use healing wind four times in one turn. (Awesome!)
    2) To make sure that you guaranteed have at least three Xatu in your deck, even if not four. (Prizes) If one of three Xatus gets stuck in your prizes, you're screwed, because now you only have two. But if you have four, then you've got three in your deck. Which is good.

11. b0n3z

b0n3z New Member

play 4-4 xatu and wait for suicune ex. or as long as suicune_ex isnt released play lapras!

12. TrueGamerX

TrueGamerX New Member

This type of deck seems more and more appealing to me. I could say that you might want to use a AQ Steelix. Just one though.

13. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

True Gamer is right, drop a Sandstorm Steelix for an Aquapolis Steelix. It knows an attack that can potiently do seventy damage, which is awesome is late game when everybody has a little damage on them. The advantages that AQ Steelix have over Sandstorm aren't very much besides the fact that Aquapolis does more damage to the active pokemon. They both have 100 HP, both have attacks that damage all opponent's pokemon is play, and both have pretty cool art :p . You may want to throw in one instead of a Sandstorm. Just a thought,

Woop

14. dkates

dkates New Member

AQ Steelix is an interesting idea, and I'll think about it. The only reason I'm hesitant is that its attacks don't seem quite as dependable as SS Steelix's. Earth Rift is nice for bench damage, but not being able to use it again the next turn on tails could hurt. Iron Smash will average barely over 40 damage, which doesn't really seem like enough for that cost. Of course, it's never going to exactly that much -- it'll do 0, 50, or 70 -- but I calculated the odds.

I'm also considering doing one of the following, and need to decide which, if either, to do:
    • Drop two Energy cards (probably two Fighting Energy, but not necessarily) for an Oracle and a Birch, OR
    • Drop two Energy cards (again, probably two Fighting, but not necessarily) and two other cards (I can't yet decide which ones) to put in 4 copies of Energy Removal 2. The idea would be to use them to slow down the opponent's process of powering up, giving me a little more time to get myself set up.
    I had also considered putting in a 2-2 Furret line. I don't have the Sentrets for it yet, but getting them would be easy enough. The idea would be to use Scavenger Hunt both to find the Metals for Steelix and to put cards back in my deck, making it more effective as a stall. It would also combo with Birch. I'm not leaning strongly towards doing this, but if I figure out a good way to do it, I might.

In response to nikePK's suggestion that I drop the Suicunes, I just want to point out that for a Rainbow Energy and two other Energy cards, Suicune can either severely damage Firestarter Blaziken (Fire's main component at the moment) and put it to sleep, or OHKO it. Since Blaziken would otherwise be able to OHKO Steelix unless I had some Metals and no damage on it, I need to be able to counter Blaziken.

For now, I'm going to be keeping the Xatu line at 3-3, although I may later get another Xatu and up the line to 4-4.

Any further advice, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2004
  15. TrueGamerX

TrueGamerX New Member

I really like the concept of the deck. Steelix being a reliable pokemon to fall back on, and Xatu to back it up. Having Wobbuffet in the deck is a wise decision to have. It is a great staller and can get hold off the EX pokemon. Suicines can help out a lot against Blaziken, who is probably the main deck you will have to worry about.

***My 100th Post***
    (But its no where near dkates MILLION POSTS LOL)

16. dkates

dkates New Member

Why not Aggron ex? Because I have exactly one Aggron and one Aggron ex. Not enough to build the line. I guess I'll reconsider Suicune, but what would you put in its place?

BTW, for now, I've dropped two Fighting Energy to add a Birch and an Oracle.

17. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

"How about dropping the Xatu line in favor of a Wailord line?"

All of us Gojira players that play steel have heard it. Trust me Jermy, Suicune gets the job done. There are a lot of advantages to Suicune. First of all, we know it kills Blaziken in one shot. But even against other pokemon, 30 and auto sleep or 50 is incredible. If you believe in the law of averages, that's 40 damage a turn and a flip for sleep for (WCC) . This is outstanding in comparison to other attacks previous to Aquapolis, but isn't as cost effective as attacks like holo Crawdaunt's: WCC for 60 (w/ Power Pinchers). Still, a good player will find ways to take advantage of this attack in a deck like this. Secondly, with HPS in play, Suicune has a free retreat cost. I've seen HPS in BAR and especially BER. Suicune takes advantage of this nicely. Being a basic, it is hard to surprise your opponent by slapping this down because you've gotta have three energy on it, (wishes that DCE was legal) but can still be major disruption. Wailord can use boost nrg, but requires evolution, and besides, when anybody sees Wailmer in play, even with no energy, they keep their Blaziken a safe distance away. :p

Great work, dkates. Keep it up.

18. Magnechu

Magnechu Active Member

Pokémon (22):
    3 Onix (Sandstorm)
    3 Steelix (Sandstorm)
    4 Natu (Skyridge)
    4 Xatu (Sandstorm)
    2 Wobbuffet (Sandstorm)
    2 Suicune (Aquapolis)
    2 Sentret (Aquapolis)
    2 Furret (Aquapolis)

Trainers (20):
    4 Professor Birch
    3 Bill's Maintenance
    3 Master Ball
    2 Ancient Ruins
    2 Crystal Shard
    2 Power Charge
    2 Switch
    2 Warp Point

Energy (18):
    6 Fighting Energy
    4 Metal Energy
    4 Psychic Energy
    4 Rainbow Energy

I like this deck. I think you could drop 2 more Fighting for some more draw, but JMO. I like this and its really strong. Furret helps bunches in this deck, it's not even funny. Well, now that I think about it, those 2 Fighting Energy could be Fan Clubs. Anyway, good luck with this!!

19. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

For the record, if one does not wish to use Suicune, they can also make use of Sandstorm Wailmer-80 HP, 2 retreat, two attacks-one CC for 20, the other WCC for 30 with Sleep. I prefer Suicune, but SS Wailmer is cheaper to use.

This comments on a very small part of the deck, so I thought I'd risk it. I can't wait to see your version with Furret. 8-X

20. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

You need to play something that has over 100HP because a simple rayquaza will discard 3 and knock out everything in your deck before you can heal it. I see steelix can survive but it would need 3 steel on it to do so. So you might try evolving up to Aggron/EX because with four steel on aggron EX, it would take 190 damage to knock it out, making a rayquaza discard 5 cards to kill it in one shot. Any less and you will xatu/potion/moo moo it back to full health.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.