Strange Ebay Collinsville, IL City Championships auction

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by farbsman, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farbsman

farbsman New Member

2. Sensei

Sensei Team Compendium Emeritus Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

0-o....

Looks like an advertisement in a whole new way....

The first 50 people get the charmander....so what`s he saying?He`s going to keep the rest and sell them?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  3. Big Daddy Snorlax

Big Daddy Snorlax Administrator

It's either a very creative way to advertise, or a new type of scam. I sent the link to Steve so he can have a look.

BDS

4. Gym Leader Blaine

Gym Leader Blaine <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/member.php?u=15

Looks like the seller is selling preregistrations for the tournament.

5. Sensei

Maybe but I doubt he really expected people to buy it...probably more so for advertising but if you can get some suckers to buy it,then hey,it`s all good to his eyes I guess...;) :p

The thing I don`t like is how he is giving out just 50 Charmander promos and keeping the rest.I don`t mind if he has them left over due to less than 50 people,but outright saying he is only giving out 50 means that he`s keeping the rest and if there were more than 50 people than they just got gypped out of something that was supposed to be given to them.

`Sensei

6. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

How can he sell preregistration for a tourney on 2/21? Via time machine? And only 1 preregistration?

7. Bigpoppabeatdown

Bigpoppabeatdown New Member

hmmmm, well i think that i can comment on this one

not sure what dizzy's is doing, but i am sure that isn't the case

Meganium45 was the TO for that event, so i'm sure that the extra charmanders were given out extra as prizes.....

and i know that with the Vince (MEG45) running that event, kids weren't shorted on charmanders

maybe Vince or Psyduck could comment on that

Vince, chaddy??

8. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

OK here's the deal with that...

Dizzy's seems to do these for advertising for their tourneys, and actually had a few people show up as a result.

It is NOT a way to sell the Charmanders, and it is not a scam or anything of the sort.

I was kind of horrified when I first heard about it, but I know how many extra chars were not given out, and the extras DID NOT go to Dizzys, they will be saved for extra prizes for future premiere events (kind of like the Groudons and Kyogres were used at Dizzys)

Kind of bizarre, I know, but I will give the establishment credit, they gave out a TON of door prizes (easily a few hundred dollars worth)...

Meganium45

9. ScythKing

ScythKing Member

You know what? This is a cool idea. I mean think of the tons of kids in the local area that may not go to the places I put flyers that buy cards on ebay. You could pre-sell spots in the pre-release tourneys and such. No different than pre-registration which we have already been told is ok.
    What do you guys think of eBay as a way to get more people into the events?
    I don't mean in a questionable way - I mean say put an ad up saying the auction is a pre-pay/pre-register for say the TMTA event. Charge 'em a discount from your standard door entry. Hmmmm.

10. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

I've tired ebay 'advert's for the UK southeast challenges. I didn't get any response but it is often difficult to judge just who is looking and taking notice of advertisments. What was I selling? why entry tickets of course!

I did have a little bit more about the tournaments than just "details coming" however: maybe that was where I went wrong?????

11. Sensei

That`s definately good to know.Just the way it was worded is how it was easily misconstrued.Maybe a little change to the wording next time?

`Sensei

12. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

Hey, I know, I sent a SCREAMING e-mail telling him to get that down....no point at this point.

I would never advertise like this...even though it brought a few people, just a bizarre thing to do.

I will request they not do it again for the next event out there.

Leaves us with the WAR in St. Louis this week, notice there are no auctions up for it!

Have to admit, was a sharp looking auction he put up...and the pack wars were cool.

Meganium45

13. Big Daddy Snorlax

Big Daddy Snorlax Administrator

What exactly were the pack wars? I wondered about that when I saw it in the ad.

BDS

14. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

I don't know about that.

With some slight modification, I think it's a great way to advertise for basically no money. What would an eBay auction like that cost? A couple of dollars, at most. And it reaches a lot of people.

I think it's a smart idea. He is clear that those that don't come will get other things for their $4.99.
    But, it gets the event out there. Although starting the ad the day before the event wasn't good. Needs to be run the week before, up to the date of the event.

15. Gym Leader Blaine

Gym Leader Blaine <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/member.php?u=15

I checked his past auctions and he had a couple other auctions just like this one that ended before the tournament, so maybe this one never ended with the BIN, so it is still one till the listing ends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.