Stratego

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by UncleBob, Feb 24, 2004.

1. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

Anyone else out there a Stratego fan?

2. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Oh my god, I havent played that game in forever... I used to play it when I was a kid, against friends and my dad... and a few years ago against a little kid who really wanted to play....

I think it was one of the smartest, most ingeniuous board games ever..... I mean Risk is OK, but it is more luck and who has more armies than strategy and skill.....

the best part, and most strategic, where to place the bombs... around the flag, out in the front, use them as decoys.... cant count the number of times I left bombs out front and my ingeneus friends sent #1 to go KABOOM.... lol.....

NOPE SORRY, ITS A BOMB.......

3. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

Yay! Another Stratego fan. :)

Did you know in the newer US sets of Stratego, MB/Hasbro has *REVERSED* the numbering system, so that the Marshal is #10 and the scouts are #2? Blargh...

Anywhoo. Yes, Stratego is the ultimate game of strategy - it's one of the few games where chance is *eliminated* (much like Chess - another fun game).

It's a shame there aren't large Stratego tournaments in the US. ;)

4. Tails

Tails New Member

Hey, I play from time to time. Fun game.

5. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

why did they reverse the #'s??? thats just odd.. guess I will just have to find an older version then.. Unfortunatly my old one from childhood met the same grisley demise all board games with small peices do...... some of them got lost...

BTW, it hurts like heck stepping on a Land Mind (or any other peice lying in the floor)..... lol, OUCH!

6. SGH Erika

SGH Erika New Member

Yes! What a fun game of strategy. Could play for hours. Hmmm.. did not see Stratego had that last Gencon. I guess the older games are less exciting, perhaps with the exception of Risk (which seems to have so many versions and gets updated).

7. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

There's actually a great version of Stratego out there (I believe Target carries it) called the Nostalgia edition. Comes in a wonderful wooden box and has the "old style" numbering system - not to mention the pieces don't use labels (which wear down in time). The Nostalgia edition is worth picking up - trust me! :)

8. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

How Much UncleBob??? I hope target does, my Step mom works there, 10% off... YAY....

9. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

It's like under $20 or something... Worth it!