Super Soaker

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by brody, Mar 13, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brody

brody New Member

Hey, I haven't played Pokemon seriously... in years... anyway some friends got me back into it about a month ago and I saw a chance to rebuild one of my buddy's decks that he played in regionals back in the day with. Seeing that I don't know what sets are legal for tournament play, or when EX block? will be rotated out. I just went with all diamond and pearl cards.

Anyway with that out of the way... here is my deck list.

Pokemon - 6

3x Squirtle - SW
    3x Blastoise - SW

Trainers - 37
    2x Amulet Coin (Debating on replacing)
    4x Double Full Heal
    4x Energy Search
    4x Felicity's Drawing
    1x Night Maintenance
    1x Plus Power
    4x Pokedex HANDY910is
    4x Potion
    3x Professor Oak's Visit
    4x Quick Ball
    4x Rare Candy
    2x Team Galactic's Wager

Energy - 17

17x Basic Water Energy

How the deck works is keep ditching your hand until you have 1 of the 3 basic pokemon in the deck (Squirtle). Doesn't matter how many extra cards your opponent gets. This decks draw engine is so fast you get to what you want at all times. Roughly right now 80% of the time on the first turn I can play trainers I will have a blastoise out with 5 energy on it. 2nd turn hits for 90 very consistently.

The reason I run so many Potions and Full Heal Potions is because basically you knock out a pokemon roughly every turn. So having your opponent flip a lucky heads 3 or 4 turns in a row so you are chain paralyzed doesn't happen with this deck. Basically my 2nd turn I have at least a 2nd Squirtle out and on my 3rd turn I usually have at least a 2nd Blastoise out.

Regarding my note on Amulet Coin: basically the card flows with this deck just fine... I was just going to play test later today with:

-2 Amulet Coins
    +2 Team Galactic's Wager

Just to disrupt my opponent more and make it so he cant really hold onto cards for very long until I have almost drawn all the prizes.

I am sure there are some cards which will work better from the EX block of sets, but I am really only familiar with Diamond and Pearl right now. That and like above, don't know when cards wont be tournament legal anymore so just went with the new stuff.

Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    brody

2. Darkwalker

Darkwalker New Member

I'm not really understanding the need for Energy Search. You're running all basic Water, so you don't have a need for any specific single energy. Wouldn't just increasing the energy count up to say 19 energy (not that I'm sure you need that many) allow you to draw into the amount you need early enough? Holon WP energy (Ex series card) would probably be a good to great choice in this to help prevent effects of attacks (like the chain Paralyze you mentioned) in place of some of the Double Full Heal. Another card from the Ex series that will help you with this is Great Ball. Great Ball is usually paired with Quick Ball in a very light pokemon list to help ensure you get the Basics out of the deck. Crystal Beach, again another pre DP card, should find a place in any deck that isn't using Double Rainbow or Scramble Energy to make a comeback from an early game rush deck like this. Lastly the only thing I see lacking is at least one more Night Maintenance or Time Space Distortion so you don't run out of pokemon to something that can either take your attacks and the return with a KO or just stall you out until they set up.

3. brody

brody New Member

Energy search is used to thin out the deck. I will look into the energy that you said, but using anything other than basic water energy is pointless seeing that you wont be able to use Blastoise's Water Log ability with any energy but basic water.

4. Darkwalker

Darkwalker New Member

Remember, you can still attatch the Holon WP as your normal energy for the turn, then Waterlog the basic Water.

5. arcane

arcane New Member

you should probably add a few great balls and probably a budew or something so you can start with it and grab your rare candy for your 2nd turn, which is assuring you to pretty much have a blastoise out. Also i think you should increase team galatica's wager to 4 cause while u have a blastoise out you could potentially stop them from bringing a gallade to OHKO it or w/e.

6. brody

brody New Member

-2 Amulet Coins
    +2 Team Galactic's Wager

Play tested this today, worked very well, a lot more disruption for my opponent.

7. Blaziken 1111

Blaziken 1111 Active Member

Umm you have to play wartertle because you cant always rely on candy because if someone gets something out that stops trainers from being played and also wartutle is searchable while candy is not. Especially because this deck seems like it's built for speed but it won't work if you can't get a blastiose out by T3.

8. brody

brody New Member

I know exactly what you mean blaze. I actually just cut my wartortle because it was causing too many hic-ups getting blastoise out on my first turn. I was actually playing around with it and I got a blastoise out on my 2nd turn every time running wartortle. Without it my chances of getting blastoise out first time went way up but not enough to be thoroughly consistent.

I don't know quite how I will run this yet. Might just have to wait to see what the next couple DP sets brings. I scoped out the fully translated card list for DP5 and didn't really see anything that would be an improvement.

http://www.pokebeach.com/ on the March 13, 2008 post.

(Sorry if you guys have your own or something, just throwing it out there to source where I got my information.)

9. redthirst

redthirst New Member

Howdy, Brody.

I, too, played rainmaker back in the day... fun deck, the only problem is that while then you could load up quick and hit harder than almost anything else immedietly, now it takes a turn and there's just better stuff out there. Take Gallade: most times they'll play a starter, load up their bench, and power up an early Gallade, so you play Blastoise (1st or 2nd turn), rain dance (or whatever it is now), and next turn knock out their starter, they either bring up another sacrificial body to buy a turn or a powered up Gallade and one-shot Blastoise... at that point you'd better have two more Blastoises ready to go on the bench (it takes two turns to bring down Gallade) and them not have another beater on the bench or that's game.

I'm trying out something along these lines utilizing Suicune as a back up body, but the deck really needs another decent basic beat stick (I'm currently testing Mew Ex, it's attack only requires one psychic energy, and using it's secondary ability you can one-shot most anything in GG), or Crawdat Ex, it's not basic, which is a problem for me (I hate too many evolutions, stalls the deck) but with enough energy (not a problem) it'll take out anything in the game.

Good luck with the build and let me know if you find a way to really get this thing cooking.

10. brody

brody New Member

Rainmaker! Thanks! Could not remember the exact name this deck had from back in the day. One thing I will have to test is using Blastoise ex. I only glanced at it but basically if you use that then you will take some damage from equiping energy but you will also be able to hit harder and also on your first turn. I am out till tonight so I wont be able to look up some cards to flow with it, but as a second beat stick for the deck... I will have to start looking for one and play test with viable options.

brody

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.