Swampert ex question

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Daddiursa, Mar 19, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

What is the difference between the wording "... does 20 more damage for each BASIC energy attatched..." like on the new Swampert ex, compared to Gardevoir ex that just says "all Energy in play". The second omits the word basic, and what difference does that make?

Will a Swampert ex with a boost energy attatched do 20 or 60 damage? Do the two extra energies not used to pay for the attack provide BASIC energy? Isn't every type of energy basic? Meaning that the difference lies in basic energy vs. [Special/Basic] energy CARD. So why omit the word basic on some pkmn cards and include it on others, if it's the same thing...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2004
  2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Sounds like any colorless energy won't add to it.
    Now, will a DRE add (+40-10=+30) or does it have to be a Basic Energy CARD.
    Until we get a ruling, I'd say that DRE will add since it supplies 2 Basic type energy.

That's, of course, dependant on being able to add the DRE to the Marshtomp and it staying after evolving to the ex. Still waiting on that ruling to come back.

3. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

the text on Swampert has '...basic Energy' <newline> 'attached...' I suppose its possible that the word card got lost between the end of the first line and the begining of the second.

What we do know...

Basic energy cards will add. Multiple basic energy cards of the same type will add.

erm that might be it! ARGH

Is it still the case that Colorless is NOT a basic energy type? I became very confused over Kecleon ;)

[ the following is incorrect ....What of Darkness and Metal these are both basic energy types but the current Darkness and Metal cards only provide colorless energy when attached to the wrong type. So a darkness energy card attached to Swampert EX ermains a darkness energy card even though it is only providing one unit of colorless energy. ]

4. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

I reread the ex versions of Darkness and Metal.
    The continue to provide Darkness and Metal type even on an off-type Pokemon. So they should add to the damage as well.

5. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

thanks Pop ... I've altered my reply to point out my error.

Thankfully when acting as Judge I always make sure I have the relevant card text in front of me.

6. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

OK, so when an energy card provides energy that can be of a basic type, a colorless type (or even Darkness or Metal type). I thought someone earlier told me that there was no such thing as a special energy type (as a common term for colorless, darkness & metal), only special energy CARD.

7. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

I believe that you are correct in saying that 'special energy type' has no meaning..

we have

1. energy type (aka energy color)
    2. pokemon type (aka pokemon color)
    3. energy card
    4. basic energy card
    5. special energy card
    6. energy
    7. energy card type
    8. basic energy card type

the last 'basic energy card type' refers to the underlying color of the card as printed rather than what type of energy it may be producing. I don't think that we have yet to introduce 'special energy card type' as a qualifier though such a description does exist.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2004