Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

T³: The Time Is Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another fun deck that I'd like to try. I like the game mechanics of this deck, and I happen to really like all three cards involved. So without further ado...

T³: ...//Today: Return..._12/16_//Massillon, OH:::Gymbo_is_b4ck_...
Modified Format

Pokemon: 18
4 Celebi (SW)
4 Burmy (Plant Cloak)
4 Wormadam (Plant Cloak)
3 Wooper (SW)
3 Quagsire d

Energy: 16
13 Grass
3 Scramble

Trainers: 26
4 Celio's Network
4 Energy Removal 2
3 Roseanne's Research
3 Castaway
3 Steven's Advice
3 Buffer Piece
2 Copycat
2 Warp Point
2 Time-Space Distortion/Night Maintenance

Strategy: The concept of this deck is pretty simple. Celebi is your ideal starter; I really like Celebi's ability to speed up the deck with Sprouting and Leaf Hurricane. And with Wormadam's PokeBody activating when you get two Grass energy on it, Celebi makes this deck that much better. Wormadam can be up very quickly after powering up your Grass Bench. Quagsire comes into play to increase the longevity of the Wormadam swarm by pulling back Buffer Pieces. It's also a pretty good backup attacker that's not weak to Fire. I've considered Venomoth or Parasect in this in place of Quagsire, I dunno. Perhaps Sunflora? I also like Burmy's Power that can be nice after sending up after a KO. The Power is also great with all of these annoying Absol decks discarding from the hand, as I can simply get the energy back. I'm debating adding/substituting Supporters that discard like TVR or Adventurer to help with Burmy's Power. But, I dunno since Celebi is my optimal Starter. It's simple recovery, send up a Burmy with a Grass, attach a Grass from your hand, then use Burmy's Power, evolve and just continue attacking. ER2 helps with the beatdown. My Engine gives me pretty consistant starts and I think the majority of my Trainers are self explanitory. Scramble Energy is in the deck to send up a Wormadam after a Celebi KO, drop a Scramble and take a KO right back. It's just a good card, which can also activate Wormadam's Body mid-late game especially after a not so good, early start.

Comments, thoughts, are appreciated in advance.

//return: _today_

~Jim

Last edited:
I've been working on something similar to this deck. One concern with the Wormadam and Quagsire is the single attack which can be shut down with Disable, Amnesia, etc. I also think that Mothim might be a good addition since it also evolves from Burmy and has free retreat and resistance to fighting is nice.

And you definitely need some Windstorms because Cessation Crystals would really hurt your bonus HP on Wormadam and your tool grabbing with Quagsire.

Do you prefer the Wooper SW because of the HP? I do like the Wooper d's Amnesia which can be a great staller against Blissey, etc. but its low HP is worrisome.

Yeah, I was going to say Windstorms too. But it depends on your area too. I think I've run into one deck with Cessation Crystals in it through 3-4 cities. I've run into that deck twice now. So like 2 games in 13-15 games. And even then in those games, he just got out 2 cessation crystals. I'd run 2 windstorm maybe.

I'm finding that today's format is being dominated more by decks that abuse powers/bodies than decks that don't and that is why you don't have to worry about running powers/bodies or running DRE/etc.

I'm at a loss as to why CC has died down so much but I've seen less and less of it as well. I'm wondering if it's the lack of things like Cursed Stone and the fact that Battle Frontier can't stop many of the powers being used these days.

It's the lack of there being good powers to stop right now. There's Gardevoir and...that's pretty much it. Other stuff is used here and there, but overall it isn't really needed until next set, but even then if Pachurisu comes out, you may see Tools in general die down a little.

Neat. I just found this. I am playing a deck very much like this to some success. The main differences between this and my deck are that I play 3-2 Wormadam/Mothim on my Burmies, reduce the Quagsire line to 2-2, and play 3-3 Windstorm/Crystal Beach instead of ER2.

I do run 2-3 Mentor/TVR to get energy into the discard early game.

Today I pulled a couple of Balls and a couple of Energy to make room for 4 Plus Power. I have found that I am leaving 10 HP on the defending Pokemon and good deal of the time, and Strength Charm is no good when you have (essentially) 8 Buffer Piece in your deck.

My current decklist (minus today's PP adjustment) is listed at http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64941

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back