Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Team Ugly Announces ...

ugly psyducky

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
For the fourth year in a row, Team Ugly is pleased to announce the return of the Ugly Cup as the major side-event for Canadian Nationals. As most of you are aware there have been a couple of major changes that have impacted the primary goal of the Ugly Cup which has been to provide an opportunity for Canadian players without travel awards to participate in the Pokémon World’s experience. Those changes have been:
  • The introduction of single-elimination format at the World's Last Chance Qualifier
  • The elimination of the travel award for the 2nd place finishers at Canadian Nationals
  • The decision (which I highly support) of turning Canadian Nationals into a two day event which in turn would exclude the players with the best performance at Canadian Nationals from participating in the Ungly Cup and hence have an opportunity to win the travel award
I thank everyone for their input to me both public and private and I have tried to do the best I can to accommodate it. This year’s concept revolves around a lottery draw at the conclusion of Nationals at which prizes will be distributed. At the conclusion of Nationals and the Ugly Cup, along with prizes, each winner in each age group will be distributed specially marked card(s) from the Black & White expansion set according to the following distribution schedule:

Nationals Top 8
Player ..........................#.....Number of Cards Won.......Total Cards........Collector Number Range
2nd Place Finisher .....1....................25................................25..............................1-25
3rd Place Finisher......1.....................20................................20............................26-45
4th Place Finisher......1.....................15................................15............................46-60
5-8th Place Finisher...4......................3..................................12...........................61-72

Ugly Cup Top 8
Player ........................#.....Number of Cards Won.......Total Cards........Collector Number Range
1st Place Finisher.....1........................15..............................15............................73-87
2nd Place Finisher....1.........................10..............................10........................... 88-97
3rd Place Finisher ....1..........................8................................8............................98-105
4th Place Finisher ....1..........................5................................5..........................106-110
5-8th Place Finisher..4..........................1................................4 .........................110-114

At the conclusion of the Ugly Cup and Nationals a single card will be drawn for each age group and the holder of the lucky card will receive the following:

• 2 Round Trip Air Fares from the closest Major Canadian Portal Airport (Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto or Montreal) to San Diego California - in the case that the winner is less than 19 years of age then one of the tickets must be issued in the name of a parent or legal guardian
  • $1200 Canadian to cover hotel accommodation and miscellaneous expenses

Information on other prizes from this draw will be provided prior to the start of the Ugly Cup.

Date and Time: July 3, 10 AM (or Start of Top Cut for Nationals whichever is earlier)

Location: DoubleTree International Airport Hotel and Conference Centre - 655 Dixon Rd., Toronto

Format:Black and White Rules, HGSS – On (including all Black Star Promos HGSS-On)with the following exceptions:

• 40 card decks
  • 40 minute rounds, Best 2 out of 3
  • Single Elimination
  • Incremental Banned Card’s list per below

Incremental Banned Card List Rule:

At the end of each round, the losing player will indicate a single card from the allowable cardlist that will be banned in the following round (basic energy cannot be banned). The lists from all three age groups will be compiled and the top two cards will be banned from the next round. Players are allowed to substitute the banned cards with basic energies. Only banned cards may be replaced; for example if the banned card is a basic the player may not replace the entire evolutionary line with basic energy. Players may not select a card from the incremental Banned List as their selection for the next rounds vote. The final round for adding cards to the Incremental Banned List will be at the end of the round of 8.

Procedural Rules:
  • As this is a single elimination format, byes for R1 will be given on a random basis.
  • In the case where different numbers of rounds are required for each age group, they will begin play after the required number of rounds in the age groups with more participants in order to ensure that the T8, T4 and T2 rounds are run for each age group at the same time.
  • Players competing in the Ugly Cup must be eligible to participate in Canadian Nationals (i.e. be in good standing and be a Canadian resident)
  • Player must not have a travel award from POP to travel to the World Championships

Prizes:
The winners will receive specially marked card(s) from the Black and White Expansion set which will be used in the draw as indicated above.

BTW No need to register this year!!

Last edited:
Do we have a top cut schedule for nationals? Will all top cut rounds be played day two?

Would be kind of crappy to make top 32, lose then not be able to play in the ugly cup.

Love this idea. The progressive banning is a sweet concept; promotes rogue without stupidity.

Although say goodbye to Pokémon Collector and Pokémon Communication at the end of round 1 XD

Terry, that is a great compromise to make it fair for all, including those who wouldn't be able to play in the Ugly cup due to being in top cut. Good job. And the willingness to give a trip to each age group - OUTSTANDING and AMAZING! Oh wow! Your generosity will be much appreciated.

I think Mike's trying to say that since both the Ugly Cup and the top cut of Nats are running at the same time, that if someone was knocked out early in the top cut, and wasn't able to play in the Ugly Cup, it would be a bit of a shame. However Terry had to make a decision that best suited the situation, and hey, as it stands, I think he made the best decision that he could with what he had to work with. He can't fix every possible scenario. He's being more fair than most people would be. If he allowed the ones in that lost from top 32 cut, then top 16 would be upset they couldn't be included. etc. etc. etc. Where do you draw the line? It's best as he's outlined in his rules above.

Terry, I would imagine that you'll be running 4 prize cards since you're doing 40 card decks. Am I right?

Last edited:
Does Canada Nats do a 3/4 playoff? If not, I'd consider revising the card schedule so that 3rd and 4th get the same number of picks.

Thanks Terry again for doing this. Sounds great and love the idea. If I understand it correctly, the players who finish 2-7 at nationals as well as the players finishing 1-8 in the ugly cup get cards to be put in the lottery (the highest placing finishers having more cards, therefore betters odds to have their number drawn) am I right?

My only concern (again, obviously we are all grateful that you do anything, so without trying to sound like I am complaining) would be I THINK able to be addressed is that like Mike said, players who lose in the top 32 or top 16 cut at nationals would be excluded from participating OR being a part of the draw, and that to me seems slightly unfortunate.

Would it not be possible to start the ugly cup IMMEDIATELY after the Round of 16 cut is played and comes to a conclusion? Therefore the players who lose in top 32 and top 16 would be able to have a chance at being a part of the draw via the Ugly Cup. I'm sure you could even have a word with the nationals Tournament Organizers and have them start the top cut earlier (say 9 AM or 8 AM or something) in order to make sure your tournament ends at a reasonable time.

I think that all the players would be up for this solution as well, as they would all love to be able to 100% participate in this event that is the Ugly Cup (or be top 8 at nationals, which most people would take I think :p). If the staff of the tournament and the tournament venue was on board and we could start Day 2 of nationals earlier, if the Ugly Cup were to wait for the top 16 round in each division to be concluded and then begin right away that would be incredible.

If there are logistics concerns that I am missing or not realizing here please draw them to my attention. I realize this would include the coordination of the staff/TOs/venue cooperation but I think given the great tradition and just overall quality of this Ugly Cup tournament that we could definitely get the staff on board as they realize that your contribution to the game Terry is just awesome and would love to have everyone participate.

I hope I don't sound like a whiner, I am just thinking about hopefully the best way to include everyone. It would just be a shame for someone to fly out to nationals, make top 32 or top 16 cut, and have to sit out while the ugly cup is going on :(

Thanks again for doing this!!! Love the idea, and hopefully will be able to participate!!!

Top Cut starts at 8:30 AM Sunday

Awesome. Then I think all that would need to be done is start the Ugly Cup Tournament at 11:00 AM, one hour later than scheduled, to address the concerns I had. I realize though that his would make the ugly cup have more players, and therefore last longer, so probably adding an hour or two to the event itself. Hopefully this is possible?

Thanks Terry again for doing this. Sounds great and love the idea. If I understand it correctly, the players who finish 2-7 at nationals as well as the players finishing 1-8 in the ugly cup get cards to be put in the lottery (the highest placing finishers having more cards, therefore betters odds to have their number drawn) am I right?
Yes though it is 2-8 at Nats and 1-8 for Ugly cup. The number of distributed cards biases the odds in favour of the higher ranking players at the end of each of the respective tournaments.

My only concern (again, obviously we are all grateful that you do anything, so without trying to sound like I am complaining) would be I THINK able to be addressed is that like Mike said, players who lose in the top 32 or top 16 cut at nationals would be excluded from participating OR being a part of the draw, and that to me seems slightly unfortunate.
IMHO based on particiaption numbers to date, I would think a T32 unlikely this year in the Masters and certainly out of the question for the other age divisions. As for waiting until the start of the Nats Top 8, this creates a situation where we would likely be looking at about a 6.5 hour Ugly Cup with only slightly more than 3.5 hours of Nats left. If we start at T16 top cut, then we do have very likely a 6 round Ugly Cup in Masters at ~5.5 hours and about 5.0 hours of Nats left. We then wrap up both tournaments at approximately the same time making it much easier for the staff to be freed to break down the tourament room, etc.

Would it not be possible to start the ugly cup IMMEDIATELY after the Round of 16 cut is played and comes to a conclusion? Therefore the players who lose in top 32 and top 16 would be able to have a chance at being a part of the draw via the Ugly Cup. I'm sure you could even have a word with the nationals Tournament Organizers and have them start the top cut earlier (say 9 AM or 8 AM or something) in order to make sure your tournament ends at a reasonable time.
No unfortunately not. This eliminates 8 potential players from the Cup, which I feel somewhat badly for, but given the constraint of wrapping the tournaments up at the same time, it is the best solution available. I am sure that if a T32 situation does come up, we can look at stagering times to allow for those players to participate.

I hope I don't sound like a whiner, I am just thinking about hopefully the best way to include everyone. It would just be a shame for someone to fly out to nationals, make top 32 or top 16 cut, and have to sit out while the ugly cup is going on :(
Not considered whining... Good opportunity to explain the logic of my decission.

Thanks again for doing this!!! Love the idea, and hopefully will be able to participate!!!
Look forward to seeing you.

Does Canada Nats do a 3/4 playoff? If not, I'd consider revising the card schedule so that 3rd and 4th get the same number of picks.
There isn't a tournament elimination round for 3/4 but, I am favouring a bias in the lottery because my opinion is the player who finishes higher in the Swiss is entitled to such a benefit.

Why does nats have to be the long weekend.... I have to miss out on both playing in HGSS on Nats and miss playing in the awesome format of Terry's tournament :(

Would it be possible to give players who make and lose in t16/32 a first round bye into the ugly cup?

thanks again terry, your generosity is simply amazing and unprecedented (at least from what ive seen). i look forward to seeing you and your family again in toronto!

If everybody's so hooked up on the 9-16 players in the age groups, why not have a structure like this...

Nationals Top 8
Player ..........................#.....Number of Cards Won.......Total Cards........Collector Number Range
2nd Place Finisher .....1....................25...................... ..........25..............................1-25
3rd Place Finisher......1.....................15............ ....................15............................
4th Place Finisher......1.....................15............ ....................15............................
5-8th Place Finisher...4......................3............... ...................12...........................
9-16th Place Finisher..8.....................1...................................8

Ugly Cup Top 8
Player ........................#.....Number of Cards Won.......Total Cards........Collector Number Range
1st Place Finisher.....1........................15.......... ....................15............................
2nd Place Finisher....1.........................10.......... ....................10...........................
3rd Place Finisher ....1..........................5.................. ..............5............................
4th Place Finisher ....1..........................5.................. ..............5..........................
5-8th Place Finisher..4..........................1............ ....................4 .........................

What this does is removes the 3/4 playoff problem while still allowing the 8 T16 players a shot and not increasing the total number of lottery numbers given out. I just took the 5 lottery spots from Nats 3rd place and 3 spots from UC 3rd and put those into 8 spots for Nats 9-16.

I have a few questions about this as I still have no idea on what this is.

So can you enter this tourny even if your entering nats and how can you register and who can register to this? Also I don't get the ban rule for this tourny.

Back