Texas State Championships - 16 March 2013

pokeMOM-2-4

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/view.php?pg=iam
Texas State Championships!!​

When: Saturday, 16 March 2013

Where: Intercontinental Dallas Hotel
15201 Dallas Parkway, Addison, TX 75001
Crystal Ballroom I, II, III on 2nd level
Special hotel rate for Pokemon Players of $89/night - includes free surface parking and free in-room internet. To reserve your room go to Texas State Pokemon. Once you've selected the nights to book, use group code POK to receive the discount.
New Info: For each hotel night you book in the Pokemon block, you will receive one raffle ticket. If you book your room on or before Monday, 11 March 2013 you will receive an additional raffle ticket. Names will be taken from the hotel list. There will be two raffles - each raffle consisting of a Pokemon Elite Trainer Box, a Worlds 2012 Deck Box and a Pokemon Plush.

Time: 8:00 - 8:45 am registration. You MUST be in line by 8:45 am to avoid a round 1 loss. (pre-registration available - see below)
9:00 am - rosters posted.
9:30 am - players in round 1 seats for player meeting.

Entry Fee: FREE!!!

Format: Modified Constructed - All cards from any of the Black & White sets are legal.

Prizes: Prizing for State Championships tournaments can be found Here. Additionally, there will be random prizes given throughout the tournament and raffle drawings. All players will receive special promotional items for entering the tournament.

Tournament Structure: Players will play Swiss rounds - number of rounds determined by number of players in each division - in which all players play all rounds. Top players in each division - maximum of 16 - play single elimination; best 2 of 3.

Deck List: All players are require to submit a deck list in order to play in the tournament. Players who bring a pre-printed list from a deck list creator such as the one found Here will go through the deck list lines much quicker and will receive an extra raffle ticket.

Pre-Registration: Players may pre-register for the tournament by clicking on Pre-Reg and entering their information into the form. This will be available until Thursday, 14 March. You may also pre-register on Friday night at the venue during side events. All players who pre-register for the tournament will receive an extra raffle ticket.
New Info: NOTE: You must still check in before the tournament. You may check in during side events on Friday night, or during registration time on Saturday morning.

Vendors: There will be several vendors at Texas States. I will have a complete list for you shortly.
New Info: There will be three (3) vendors at Texas States this year. Aaron from Stormcrow Games (sleeves, dice, playmats, packs, etc.); Joel (buying and selling cards - bulk and singles) and Michael (Pokemon themed merchandise)

Community Service 4th Annual Food Drive for the Food Pantry of McKinney!
Once again, Texas State Pokemon Championships is proud to partner with the Food Pantry of McKinney to help stamp out hunger in our community. The Food Pantry has asked for donations of ............. wait for it ........... you guessed it! Dried beans!! For each pound of dried beans you bring, you will receive one raffle ticket to this special raffle. (this raffle is different than the tournament raffle - ALL players are entered into the tournament raffle; only those contributing to the Food Pantry will be entered in this raffle. Everyone is welcome to participate, players, staff, parents, spectators, friends) There will be multiple raffles throughout the day. Prizes will include:
Pokemon merchandise
Pokemon cards
Autographed photo of Maveriks player Rodrigue Beaubois
Target card $5 (2)
McDonald's items
iTunes $10 (2)
Panera Bread card
Tour of Cowboys Stadium for 2
Starbucks $10 (3)
Coldstone Gift Card $10 (2)
Cheesecake Factory $25 (2)
Gift certificates
Rangers tickets
Allen American Tickets
Hotel nights
MORE!!
All donations are welcome - but we really want to emphasize dried beans. Thank you all so much for your support the last three years. Let's make this year the biggest!!
Please be sure to check this section often, as I am always updating the list of raffle prizes.

Side Events - Friday Night: - room will open at 5:30 pm
New Info: All players participating in any of the Friday night side events will receive special Texas Pokemon dice. These dice will only be given on Friday night.
Texas State Video Game Championships!
Entry Fee: FREE!!
Registration at 6:00 pm - start time of 6:45 pm - Swiss rounds in each age division; no top cut
Players must follow rules listed Here. Players must have 4-6 Pokemon in their Battle Box ready to play. Each player must submit a team sheet - similar to the one found Here. Please note: this is an old team sheet so the list of ineligible Pokemon is inaccurate. For the most up to date info, look at the rules listed at pokemon.com.
Video Game Prizes: Prizes for top 4 in each age division.
1st - $30 to Game Stop
2nd - $20 to Game Stop
3rd - $10 to Game Stop
4th - $5 to Game Stop

No Rares Tournament
Entry Fee: $5 (each player received 1 booster pack)
Registration: 6:30 pm - players must have deck list - Start time: 7:00 pm
Format: Modified constructed - any card from the Black & White sets is legal with the exception of rares, any card printed in Dragon Vault that is a rare in another set and Pokemon Catcher.
Prizes: Will be determined by the number of players. (1 pack/2 players will be put into the prize pool)

Draft Tournament
Entry Fee: $20
Format: Limited constructed 8 player pod. Players will receive 6 packs of cards to draft. Players then make their best deck of 40 cards including energy (energy will be available) and play a 3 round tournament.

Hula-Hoop Contest
Prizes: Something fun - including the hula-hoop!!

Side Events - Saturday: - after Swiss rounds
Win a Pack - 8 person runners
Entry Fee: $5
Format: Modified Constructed
Prizes: 8 person pod plays 3 rounds - win a pack each time you win a game. If you go 0-3, you still receive one pack.

Win a Mat - 8 player pods
Entry Fee: $10
Prizes: Each player received one pack. 8 person pod plays 3 single elimination rounds - top player wins a Pokemon Playmat

Win a Box - 8 player pods
Entry Fee: $15
Prizes: Each player received one pack. 8 person pod plays 3 single elimination rounds - top player wins a Booster Box

Draft Tournament
Entry Fee: $20
Format: Limited constructed 8 player pod. Players will receive 6 packs of cards to draft. Players then make their best deck of 40 cards including energy (energy will be available) and play a 3 round tournament.

League
Entry Fee: FREE!
Sign up for league - then find an opponent. After you battle (TCG or VGC) go back to the league desk and pick 2 Pokemon cards. Winner gets choice of prizes. Opponent gets remaining prize.

Kids Korner
Stop by to draw a Pokemon, color a picture or make a bracelet/necklace. Show your creativity!!

Questions?
Please contact Professor Christine with any questions you may have.

Last edited:
Is it too late to consider banning hypnotoxic laser from the no rares tournament? I think it is on par with catcher. If not banned, every deck will be using 4. That opens up a lot more room for creativity that is more in line with the spirit of the tournament.

Just updated information regarding the Hotel, Vendors, Community Service and Friday night sides events. Please be sure to check back often - especially to see the growing list of Community Service raffle items!!

^^ It depends on the division. Top cuts for jr/sr should start around 3:00 - 4:00. Masters around 5:00 - 5:30. Hopefully!! Side events will start as soon as one division begins top cuts. Hope that helps!

Hi, guys. I'm posting here information about the side event that I'm running on friday night. It's the Pokemon Tabletop RPG. For those who don't know, I've developed a table top roleplaying game version of Pokemon. Similar to Dungeons and Dragons. I first ran the RPG during the nationals last year with our traveling group. This is open to about 4-8 players.

I am looking to start the character building at about 9:30 PM. We will start as soon as we get everyone done with character sheets.

If want to be prepared for the game please bring your own set of RPG dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20).

Here's a quick summary of the RPG world. You are going to be a pokemon/human being. We'll refer to them as Pokemorphs. There are no humans in this world. For the story I am going to do the group are going to a group or groups of treasure hunters. For this game, I'm leaving what Pokemorph you want to, you're able to be any pokemon from any generation with a few restrictions. 1. No legendarys. 2. the starting level will be level 20. So, if it is obtainable at level 25, the you can be them. 3. you're open to use any generations.

If you have any questions about the RPG game, message me through Facebook or Pokegym (Professor Sycamore)

Hey guys, I will be at the event Friday from around 5-10 and at Saturday at least from 8-6. I deal with singles, but will also be buying bulk if you want to plan in advance and bring any to help cover the costs of your trip. I look forward to seeing you all there!

The only other thing I plan to have is mats (no packs, deck boxes, or sleeves). Sorry to all of the fans of that stuff!

Last edited:
I just got through typing up the list of raffle prizes for the food drive. Here's the current list:

Pokemon Deck Box (3)
Pokemon Lanyard (2)
Pokemon Theme Deck (2)
Spring Creek BBQ Kid’s Meal (4)
Jason’s Deli Kid’s Meal (6)
Corner Baker Kid’s Meal (6)
Cristina’s Kid’s Meal (2)
La Hacienda Free Queso (2)
Gatti Town Game Card $5 (2)
Plush (2)
Cars Backpack
PF Chang Appetizer card (3)
Rough Riders Ticket (3)
Target $5 (2)
iTunes $10 (3)
Starbucks $10 (3)
Coldstone $10 (2)
Cheesecake Factory $25
Cheesecake Factory $50
Restaurant.com $50
Restaurant.com $100
Panera Breads – doz bagels/month/year
McDonald’s – McCafe/week/year
McDonald’s restaurant tour w/ ice cream sundaes
Maverik’s Autographed pic
Hulu Plus – one month free (2)
SideShow Collectibles $25-$100 (6)
Dallas Cowboys Stadium Tour for 2
Allen Americans – 4 tickets
Texas Rangers – 2 tickets
Texas Stars Package
Drury Inn – one night stay
Intercontinental Dallas – one night stay

That's a lot of loot!! Make sure to bring your bags of dried beans to benefit the Food Pantry and for a chance to win some amazing prizes!

You can bring donation items Friday night or Saturday. We will do a small number of raffles (about 5) Friday night. All names will remain in the raffle until the last prize is given. (once your name has been pulled for a prize, it does not go back in.

Additional info: I will have team sheets available for VGC players Friday night. There will be a raffle for all players in the VGC tournament.

If you have any questions, please be sure to contact me. My email is Christine's email. See you Friday/Saturday!

---------- Post added 03/14/2013 at 09:11 PM ----------

If you don't have your reservation yet, I have good news for you. But you need to act quick!!

You need to call the hotel 972.386.6000 and ask for Ardith Timmons tomorrow between the hours of 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. (or you could call Ardith direct - 972.789.3167) She is my Group Reservation Coordinator and will be able to book a room for you at the Pokemon rate of $89. You must call tomorrow though - once she leaves, central reservations does not have the ability to book at this rate for you.

So - Friday 4:30 pm is the official cut off for rooms at this price. Can't wait to see you all!!

Last edited:
Is it too late to consider banning hypnotoxic laser from the no rares tournament? I think it is on par with catcher. If not banned, every deck will be using 4. That opens up a lot more room for creativity that is more in line with the spirit of the tournament.

Pretty sure Durant's gonna take that anyway :p

WOW!!!

Everything is definitely bigger in Texas!!

Juniors: 43
Seniors: 71
Masters: 236

Total: 350

Thank you to the players in the great state of Texas - and surrounding areas - for making this the biggest, bestest tournament ever!!

The Top 16

1. John Lopez 8-0
2. Jimmie Ramirez 7-1
3. Mark Dang 7-1
4. Jesse Perkins 7-1
5. David Garza 7-1
6. Charlie Gray 7-1
7. Tyler McCutchan 7-1
8. John Harris 7-1
9. Preston Porter 7-1
10. Rudy Paras 6-2
11. Michael Feller 6-2
12. Nathan Massey 6-2
13. Dakota Gauthier 6-2
14. Milan Patel 6-2
15. Matthew White 6-2
16. Luke Hernandez 6-2

NICE numbers Texas!!! We'll have to see what happens in California, but it appears you may be wearing the crown for the biggest State tournament of 2013. Big events are FUN, and I would love to make it to Texas States some year.

BDS

Great job texas. The biggest states ive been to so far has 108 masters and 161 total. This is amazing and i wish i was there like i was in 2010. Congrats to all who played and hope soemday to return to the lone star state to play in a big event like this

Juniors - Final Standings:

1st: AlexanderNichols
2nd: Jacob Lewis
3rd: Brendan Boe
4th: Naomi Palmer
5th: EmilianoRosales
6th: Hatch cunningham
7th: Connell Martin
8th: Jayce Fischer

Congrats to some amazing juniors!!

Back