THE Furret/Aggron Ex/Wailord deck (CC format)

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Pidgeotto Trainer, Mar 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

First this is meant for the City Champs format. So everyone take a deep breath and go back to the world w/out Blaziken ex. Okay, for CC format I think this is one of the top decks, I know it is. This is the version of Aggron ex most dedicated to Blaziken IMO. It still is 35-40% against a top notch BAR that knows the matchup as well as I do.( a lot of people I play don't know this matchup to its fullest sometimes. Even some good ones.) Haven't tested nearly as much against Niniken but I would say its a little better for Aggron. I don't need Shards for Wailord to dominate. Furret/Wailord can be enough to take down Blaze decks. Aggron ex is usually just to force out Quaza or Tales. Beating Gardevoir is around 45-55% I would say. Maybe little more on the Gardevoir side. That matchup comes down a lot to # of Gards Boosts ready and # of my healing ready. If Aggron ex survives long enough then Wailord doing 50 per turn with Furret can be enough to ko a lot after Aggron ex. Also hard to ohko either. 14 nrg on Gards side isn't easy. Then after he battles it out to have 10 still for Wailord after I leave nothing with Boost. Amphy comes down to Nurse vs. Healing but I really think I have the advantage. Amphy is in decline in my area anyways with all the Gardevoir. So here is my current list which I have not seen one better than IMO:
    Pokemon 22
    3 Aron (either 50 HP w/1 retreat)
    3 Lairon (RS w/Magnitude, sometimes put in 1 SS Lairon)
    2 Aggron ex
    3 Wailmer
    3 Wailord
    2 Sentret
    2 Furret
    4 Dunsparce
    Trainers 22
    4 Prof. Oak's Research
    4 Prof. Birch
    2 Oracle (Get those Shards. May want to up to 3.)
    3 PETM
    2 Switch
    2 Crystal Shard
    3 Potion
    2 Oran Berry
    Energy 16
    4 Metal
    4 Boost
    2 Warp (+Furret=good)
    2 Rainbow (endgame Lairon or Aggron ex w/out real Metal still finishes off the bench)
    4 Water

NikePk invented this deck a long time ago but it didn't really hit on and get a lot more testing I think until about a month before the CCs. The deck has evolved and can win. I just wanted to get some final thoughts on this deck before this format probably gets drastically changed w/Blaze ex. Wailord can't ohko so I'll probably try Kingdra ex then. The only major change I want to try since my metagame seemed Gard heavy (too many people can't get the Quazas) would be a 2-2 Espeon. Furret Boost for that and it should boost the numbers against Gardevoir. The only way I see that involves taking down the Wailord to 2-2 and I shutter to make this weaker to Blaziken but what can you do? Thanks.

2. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

Since you don't use Warp Points, how about finding room for a Cyclone Energy or two? Then you can remove a troublesome defending pokemon by attatching it to your active pokemon.

3. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan New Member

Why would you play a deck that is at a slight disadvantage to gardy and almost a loss to BAR?

Otherwise for being a normal aggron the deck is fine. Good luck at the CC

Last edited: Mar 10, 2004
  4. nikePK

nikePK New Member

Monkey, it beats Gardy... I've argued this with you forever though, so I won't say anything else lol.

Hey pidgeotto, I really like your version a lot, much better than mine just for the sole fact that you have 3 wailords in here. That really helps out vs. Bar and stuff. I think you can drop a switch for maybe another Shard, which helps a lot vs. ampharos, or some more draw. What I really liked about my version was that it ran 2 Desert Shaman, which CRIPPLES Gardevoir if you do it while they're using Wynaut. You're version doesn't have this, so you may wanna try and fit a few in somehow. Plus, its extra draw, who doesn't like that! lol

Looks great, keep it up =) Hopefully Blaze ex is banned and this can make an impressive showing at State ^_^

5. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Lemme tweak this some. W/O Blaze EX, eh? Lol, this deck will be crippled if it isn't banned, and I doubt it will be.
    I ran this deck for CC's and I think it's solid, so lemme just tweak it some.

Pokemon: I would add an Aggron EX. If you get one in your prizes you're basically screwed. I'm not saying you'll be using both, but use three Aggy EX, you'll be happy you did when you find one in your prizes. Trying to eliminate the luck factor here. :p But you can only use two if you want.

Energy: Wow, this is different. Um...ditch both rainbow for two water. Getting a water in your opening hand is important, especially since you want first turn sparce to go Wailmer, Sentret, Aron. So that means we only have room for twenty-two trainers. GASP!

Trainers: I'll start from scracth although your version is decent. First of all, four birch is a definite yes. Go 2-2 Shaman POR, that works very well in this deck as NikePK said. 2 Professor Elm's Training Method and two Oracle is fine, since you have all that hand-shuffling. So now that the drawing/searching engine's outta the way, we have ten spaces left. Two shard is good. Then add two power charge for getting the boost back into the deck early so you can scavenge hunt for them again. 3-2 Oran Potion and a switch because you'll need one at one time or another.

Here's the new deck:
    Pokemon: 22
    3 Aron
    3 Lairon
    2 Aggron ex
    3 Wailmer
    3 Wailord
    2 Sentret
    2 Furret
    4 Dunsparce

Trainers: 22
    2 Prof. Oak's Research
    2 Desert Shaman
    4 Prof. Birch
    2 Oracle
    2 PETM
    1 Switch
    2 Crystal Shard
    3 Potion
    2 Oran Berry
    2 Power Charge

Energy: 16
    4 Metal
    4 Boost
    2 Warp
    6 Water

I would ditch both warp energy and add another switch and an Aggron EX if I were you, that'd be my real deck fix, but many people are opposed to this kind of thing ("You only need two!" :rolleyes:), but I still think it helps, it saved my butt in CC's a few times.

Good deck, I didn't have much to say. Hope you do well at states...oh wait...nevermind. :D

-WooP

6. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

Daddiursa- I don't think this deck benefits greatly from Warp Point. Aggron ex is hitting the bench anyways. I tried that card at the start of Eon but didn't like it so much. Cyclone nrg might be worth 1 since I can Furret for it, maybe I will test that.
    MM- I'll take my chances with this vs. BAR. Even if this was 50% vs. Gard this beats BAR better IMO. Hope to play you at a CC.
    Nike- Thanks, definitely means something from the concepts creator. I like the 2 Switch with so many huge retreat costs w/Wailord and Aggron ex. It helps against Amphy too since he paralyzes. I tried Shaman in this deck and it wasn't as much disruption as I'd hoped. It often helped my opponent too. Probably helps the Gardevoir matchup a little but my biggest problem was getting an even smaller hand to Furret away. Might be just 1 less than POR but that can be the difference of getting the last Metal this turn or have to sac 1 more Sparce. I too would like this deck to stay in contention and while I don't think Blaze ex is overly broken it does stop this deck from competing with it.
    Wooper-I have to subscribe to the 2 Aggron ex plan too. With the PETMs I really am only hurt if both are in my prizes. (Though that happening to my 2 Sentret probably cost me the first CC.) I can attach Rainbow to Sparce too and I have won late game with Lairon w/1 Rainbow. Finishes off the bench.
    I've always hated late game cards like Nrg Charge or now Power Charge. They can work in the right matchup but the top decks usually wouldn't allow me the time to build a second Aggron ex anyways.
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2004
  7. Hot Mustid

Hot Mustid New Member

trainer, i was wondering, it TA Vs. TM allowed in states? i hope not :p my deck would get messed up, this is my Aggron deck that i run

pokemon 24

3 aron
    2 lairon
    3 aggron ex
    2 sentret
    2 furret
    4 natu
    4 zatu
    3 dunsparce
    1 Wobby

trainers 18

3 prof birch
    3 oaks research
    3 petm
    2 copy cat
    2 cyrstal shards
    3 switch
    2 rare cany

energy 18

4 metal
    2 rainbow
    8 psycic
    2 boost

it has only lost one game because of a bad hand. Ive beaten fire decks with it and about four or fivre BAR decks. with MA AQ out i have A LOT more guys to worry about now. i need to know what to do.

About your deck, i like it. Ive seen those decks fare well against just about everything. blaziken EX will be VERY VERY mean against our decks. good luck at states :)

8. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

I think you should play two power charge. Even if you don't take any of my other advice, play two power charge. They can get you back Warp, Boost, Metal, or even water if your deck gets thin. If you hafta start boosting early, then so be it. You can always Oracle for a power charge and find it with Furret next turn. I think maybe even only one power charge would be worth it; it's a really cool clutch card. Even if you don't plan on using it, try it out for a while, you'll be happy you did.

As for the Rainbow Sparce thing, you're right, but I prefer not damaging my Aggy EX's as much as I can to save the potion/orans for a more dire time, because eventually, once I run out of power charges late game, I start to attach water energy to my wailord(s) on my bench, since I usually just boost with 'em.

Try out the power charge if nothing else, they really help.

Thanks for reading,

-WooP

9. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

TMvTA will be allowed at States. Or else, why print the set?

but, for CCs, I think you need Power Charge. That card alone saved NikePK on more than one occaision in my $200 tourney that he won.

You need to sneak in at least 2 to get your boosts back!

OK, just my take.

M45

10. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Yeah, PidgTrainer, Meg45 is right. Just add two, that's all you'll need, and I think you can afford to drop some stuff for that. They'll really help in clutch situations and stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.