Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The Problem with Modified...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for the rotating Modified format, but this newest change really hurts my League. You see, access to sets later than Aquapolis is very hard over here, due to the closing of the local WotC store. The Borders where I am GL hasn't had any shipments come in with cards newer than Aquapolis. The local GameStop runs out of its blister supply in days.

I have quite a card library, but obviously am lacking in newer staples. (I own no Copycats. How sad is that?!)

I wouldn't mind the format rotation, but I was heavily relying on one thing:

LEGENDARY COLLECTION 2.

I was banking on having some Neo cards legalized to back up my deck(s). I didn't realize how much of an issue the cancellation of LC2 would be until I tried making an EON deck. I found myself at a loss. I couldn't get a single competition worthy deck off the ground. Sure, i have all of the Aquapolis & R/S theme decks, and a lot of Exp. and Aquapolis cards (I have 8 of the better Gatr's from Exp.) But I am severly lacking in Stage 1 Poke's and staple trainers. (I only have 2 legal Croconaws).

I know there is little hope for me, unless I can convince my anti-poke parents to buy me a box of sandstorm. I hope on scoring big at the EX Dragons prerelease in Garden City too. But with everyone I trade with lacking the same things, it's very frusturating.

There's my rant to no one in particular. Shout out to all my Gym members.

[EDIT: And it can't be a good format if Bill isn't legal. Bill's the man! What's a deck w/o Bill?!? I mean, come on! :lol: ]

Last edited:
Do whatever is best for your local players and league.

Its only if you run sanctioned play that you have to stick to the modified/unlimited formats. It also seems true that the monsters in the EX sets are dominant in EON.

It's a league. There is no rule that leagues have to be run in Modified format.
Leagues are for having fun. It only makes sense to run a League in Modified if killer Unlimited decks are running rampant. If that's not happening, there's no reason to limit their card pool.

I realize I didn't make an important note in my original rant.

The reason we are frustrated is because all of my members show VERY HEAVY interest in competing at the next level. Espescially with the new Gym Ladder Tournament system coming around the corner.

We are very casual with our League format(s), even enjoying such local favorites as the 5 Way Showdown, and "30-card opening hand, one prize card" (one time, a kid got Imposter Oak's Revenged in this format. he had 4 cards to his opponents 30, but still won. His effort in that match have become legendary here).

But as far as Major Events go, we don't have this freedom. And we want to be a presence felt by all at the planned regional Gym Ladder-System Events.

Last edited:
Well, just a question. If you don't have as much access to newer cards, why are you calling this thread the problem with E-on? The name should be the problem with Modified. The name makes it sound like you're targeting E-on, and we all know we've had way too many of those threads.

Anyway, for the things you're missing, and I know it's not that fun, but you can get cards from the internet. Not necessarily buying them, but trading. The places I look on the internet definitely still have significant E-series cards, so if you'd look into this, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

It is a problem, we do need LC2. Players who haven't played actively since Neo Destiny will never come back. Current players who didn't buy E-sets but still like to play will quit. That is exactly what is happening at our League anyway.

Or more accurately, League players have said "I have to quit when this new Modified becomes the sanctioned format". LC2 would help, but I doubt it ever comes out. Aw, if just PUI would have made Modified version 3 exactly like Wizards planned it.

But the other option is also a problem. If we made unlimited the main format, we'd have a very hard time bringing in new players.

As for your situation, it is inevitable that pockets of unavailibility will arise. You happen to be in one of them.

yoshi1001 said:
But the other option is also a problem. If we made unlimited the main format, we'd have a very hard time bringing in new players.

But the other option isn't Unlimited. The other likely option is to release LC2! To make Unlimited the main format would be a tragedy.

There is another option. People in my area have been experimenting with the "Extended" format (as we call it). Basically, it's Old Modified (c 1999), using Rocket through LC. Yes, it IS a little repetitive, but it eliminates the problem of availability in terms of what people around here have. Also, there is a HUGE difference between Unlimited and Modified, and we all thought that a new format would best fill that void between the cards that are broken and the cards that simply are not played. Try this in your area if you don't really care about tournament rankings and such. POP will accept your League forms no matter which format you use.

A long time ago... in a far off country...

we had a similar problem.. I allowed people to play with proxies. If I though it was being abused I said so but it did allow players a lower cost route into modified. After a while all the proxies were replaced with real cards.

At my gym we have always had a tradition of lending each other cards to play in sanctioned competitions. So the no proxies rule for sanctioned OP was never compromised.

I fear that the hopes of a reprint collection to come out is far from my sight. It might be nice to have, however I just don't see it coming. I'd expect that future sets, like EX: Dragons, to have some useful trainer's like bill to come back but what I like about this format is that no older Pokemon cards are in this time. This is what allows new decks to be built and new fun times to florish, so for seeing it from the overall gaming community perspective, the Modified Format is perfect right where it is.

Well, since LC2 would have contained no new cards, couldn't its cardlist be released, and then make that list legal for EON? Or does that implicate the whole "hard for new players to get old cards" thing? And would it even be possible, if WotC somehow had the 'rights' to the LC2 cardlist?

I have a feeling we're just going to have to tough it out thru this transition period.

I got my first 3 packs of Sandstorm at the Motor City ComicCon yesterday. I pulled a Wobbuffet and a Typhlosion EX, among some other decent cards. The problem is with getting the E card set trainers. Few on the Gym want to part with them for obvious reasons...

EDIT: I would even be happy if just the Common and Uncommon Basic/Stage1/Stage2 Pokemon from the Neo sets were legal. No rares or trainers. I need stage 1 Pokemon badly.

Last edited:
hope they aren't all uncommons. see other threads for why!

what about the proxies idea... its a stop-gap that worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back