Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

"The real way to play Garchomp"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante63s

Well since my season is over with only maybe having the grinder left, I will post the deck I played at Nationals, I had much hope in the deck and it was capable of winning, but sadly I lost my first round vs. some odd lucky jolteon/Zapdos deck, well who cares about that...

This list is mine, the deck started from zero, it took time to develop the idea and take it to something that actually worked with consistency. I made it after testing a lot, and feel free to play it. Just one condition if you win anything PM me, that way I feel happier! To see that the deck had potential.

The list:

x3 Gible
x1 Gabile
x2 Garchop
x2 Garchop Lv X
x2 Gallade
x1 Flygon Ex DF
x1 Alakazam Star
x2 Baltoy
x2 Claydol
x3 Abra
x3 Alakazam
x2 Pachi

x4 Celios
x4 Rare Candy
x3 Warp Point
x3 Tv
x2 Felicitys
x1 NM
x2 Great Ball
x2 Premier Ball

x14 :psychic:
x1 :fighting:
(You can change this for your likes, but having the :psychic: for Abra is vital)

And thats it, looking back I would make some modificatios... I always had Dusknoir but at the last minute I dropped it, to add more consistency. Since the decks main problem, is sometimes it has "failure to launch", it always gets going but but it may take a while, all do many decks have this problem.

The idea is to start with Pachi or Abra, both are awesome starters in the deck. Abra is great, its first attack always helps.

I am little tired now, so I will make it short:

T1 Call for Family or Abras first attack.
T2 Retreat for Abra and use its first attack or its second attack and get Alakazam.
T3 Cancel Poke-Powers and prepare Garchop.
T3+ Rebirth a Gallade/Flygon or something.
T4+ Attack!

Its important to have Claydol in play to feed Alakazam, and it works great because you discard energies and Pokémon to later get with Garchop Lv X. Also remember that would will be doing 50 damage T3 usually, Alakazam attack is great vs. Plox and other decks that only attack with Stage 2. It gives you great advantage over Togekiss, Claydol, Dusknoir, Omastar, etc. One Alakazam on the bench really makes the difference.

The deck will louse to those T2 Psychic locks witch rarely happen, but they do!
If you try the deck with the same list you will see that its great!

Well any questions or ideas, bring them down. :thumb:

Thanks for reading!

The real way to play chomp is to center it around dragon fang for 110. Techs are in to cover the decks weak points. I've been playing garch scince I got into pop, and it does best centered around garch. Don't have enough time now to offer suggestions, but I will later.

You need way more than just 2 Pachirisu and 2 Great Ball. The Alakazam line is too big, and I don't even see how you ever have anything to discard anyways. You have like 2 Gallade and a Flex and that's it.....Definitely should play a Ralts considering Gallade is amazing and you play both its energy types. You also need another Gible as your deck is Garchomp and you only run 1 NM. Finally, Warp Point is your only answer to Cessation Crystal and you have none to Battle Frontier, which shuts down your entire deck.....

:lol: Change the energies to a mix of 3 of each types (except dark and metal, and only 2 grass)...

....jokish troll topics are not funny...

You need way more than just 2 Pachirisu and 2 Great Ball. The Alakazam line is too big, and I don't even see how you ever have anything to discard anyways. You have like 2 Gallade and a Flex and that's it.....Definitely should play a Ralts considering Gallade is amazing and you play both its energy types. You also need another Gible as your deck is Garchomp and you only run 1 NM. Finally, Warp Point is your only answer to Cessation Crystal and you have none to Battle Frontier, which shuts down your entire deck.....

I respect you, but I cam going to disagree with you on some parts.

First Battle Frontier does not shut down the deck, it only affects Garchop witch in this version is not the main attacker. Ralts? Maybe but I personally don't like it. CC was a problem at first, but this deck was built for a certain metagame, heres a example:

Here the metagame is really ugly, 96% of players play bad lists with no clue, but thay always get great hands, so that makes up for it!

Plox
A few Magmortar
Eeveevolutions
Empoleon/Omastar

Ands some rouges, as you can see Cessation was not gonna be a big issue (I knew that only two firends where going to play Cessation) and if it was in play I had 2 Pachi and 3 Warp.

On the Alakazam, yes the line is big, put I was getting them prized or drawing them and did not want that problem. No cards to discard? Don't worry theirs is always something to discard, trust me on this one.

And finally, 2 Pachi and 2 Great Ball is a little louse, but I loved Abra as a starter!

The biggest problem is your energies still. Fix them and come back when you are done. I mean why 1 fighting? Especially when you run no Roseanne or Stones. You will never get it when you need it >_>,

Bragging about how to play Garchomp correctly is sad, when you ignore the very reason he is playable, i.e his body. >_> No offense but if you wanna win nationals you have to come up with better things. Losing to a Jolteon/Zapdos deck is also an indication to it.

Sorry If I sound too sound trollish, but in order for you to get any help in here you should try and research the topic a little bit more, and try to improve it more yourselves.

Bragging? You must say that because of the title...

Well Garchop is NOT playable just because of his body, and if you looked at the list you will notice that the deck focuses more on Garchomp Lv X in most matches you wont even attack with the normal Garchopm. Losing to Jolteon/Zapdos/Aerodactly has no indication if a deck is great or bad, any deck can lose a match, bad opening, etc.

I personally think your post shows what you know about the subject. You are comparing this list to others, and have the mentality that this list needs to be like the others.

Mods: Please don't get the idea that I posted this deck to brag about it, I posted this deck simply because its actually a decent deck and it's better than any other one I saw on the boards (my opinion). And im more than open for new ideas to improve the deck.

If your main attacker is going to be a tech ( why you would do that with garch, I don't know.-_-) Might I suggest salamence ex PK? If you want to run it tech style, use garch as the only line, and plenty of stage 2 techs with felicitys. So I suggest:
Remove the abras and pachi
Add More discarding cards and techs.

Also, this is not "The real way to play garchomp." So far, it's your way, and personaly, I think ones centered around garch would work better. No offence, if you can get this to work great, fine, but it's not the way garch is gona be run.

I don't exactly need to trust you when I've playtested Garchomp already. It is a problem to discard for Alakazam repeatedly.

Of the decks you expect, the only one you legitimately beat is Magmortar. Empoleon is beating this even if you're running Lightning Energy (which you aren't) because you only do 110 damage. Relying on recurring Gallade is not going to beat Empoleon while its just smashing your field while you take 4-5 turns to setup. Finally, if the Plox are running Dusknoir, they are very difficult to beat. I know for a fact this deck has a lot of problems playing with a bench of three throughout the game. On top of that, if for some reason they ran Battle Frontier or Furret, you're just done. You literally have no answer to a Furret swarm. It just does 80 for 2 and can switch to whoever. You're going to fight them off with a Gallade that you take until T4-T5 to produce? Alakazam shutting off Telepass once a turn isn't going to work. Oh and Umberon shuts down Garchomp and once they get past your one Gallade, Leafeon is just going to destroy everything while you're doing a vanilla 70 for 3 on a stage 2.

i'll give you an idea of a garch that my buddy had made:

garch line + pachi + claydol + weavile.

pachi start
call for baltoy, gible, sneasal

set up claydol next, then a weavile.

start feeding 2 darks per gible set up.

that way, the third energy with be according to the weakness.

well as a matter of fact, i went 4-1 using that deck, being that my only loss was to my friend, who is a pro at running gg.

the only thing slow about the list is the supporters - i ran into a big wall with supporter droughts. but aside from that, i always had a pachi start.

in my opinion, a lot of people think restore is the best attack, and a great way to run techs - in all honesty, i used restore once, and i restore a garchomp and smack 110 next turn. ive playtested many times, and not once had used restore till that one game where it was crucial i did so.

i find that the "best tech" is garchomp itself. try out the list, and tell me how it goes. im not guaranteeing that it will be the easiest and most best list, but its creative, something new and a good way to fill energy excel.

If I had ne Chomp LVX I would play it like this
4-3-2-2 Chomp, 2 Gallade, 1 gardi, 2 Salamence EX(PK) 3-2-1 Delcatty(1 EX) 2x Lunatone........use delcatty to draw, use lunatone to discard more nrgy or pokemon so u can rebirth.....ohh yeah and if u cann make it even more funny throw in a Gardi LVX.....so after u rebirth a gardi u can LV it up and abuse Teleportaion and bring down.....because three heads with garchomp LVXs power would be awesome and will weakin ur opp. poke

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

ohh yeah u needs ssu....lol my bad

Last edited:
Just tell me how you are going to play any game when 2 of your Garchomp are prized?
I don't think using Alakazam will make it up.

I can also make decks thinking I will have the best hand always.
Your deck is not prepared to survive when bad luck appears (read 2 Garchomp prized).
the LVx is nice, but depending on it sounds to risky for me.

Well Chad I never had "big" problems with the discard.
Ok you think I should add Ralts, but that would take to long to get charged up, no?
And Empoleon is a problem, but at least you have Alakazam to cancel Omastar (assuming its that version). And theirs not much to do about it, Dusknoir helps a little.

Ok I posted this deck just for people to see it, but I guess if everybody wants to improve it that will be fine.
Lia: If that happens I will try to grab a prize or two with Alakazam, and then I scoop :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back