Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The 'Restricted by Ban' tournament (Round 1 Pairings up!)

afstandopleren

I have seen so much of the same that I thought that I'd start a DP-On tournament of my own with some bans to create a random format to see how the game would be like if some cards were out of the equation:

Special BANS
-Any card that deals a minimum of 60 for 1 or less Energy in the following ways: Damage countering, Snipe and straight damage. This means Spreading is allowed.
-Machamp SF
-Sableye SF in a deck with Dark Energy
-Gengar SF
-Kingdra
-Donphan Prime
-etc.

Other card Bans:
-Flygon RR
-Flygon LV.X
-Toxicroak G PL
-Tyrannitar SF
-Porygon-Z Promo
-Garchomp C LV.X
-Gardevoir SW with Gallade SW
-Gallade SW
-Blaziken FB LV.X
-Luxray LV.X
-Infernape LV.X
-Energy Gain
-Double Colorless Energy
-TGI Power Spray

Card Exceptions:
-Blissey MT and that Hippowdon with Save Sand.
-Awesome face

Deck Restrictions:
You can only play 1-1 Dialga G LV.X

Rule Details:
-You can use cards like Shuppet PL, Dunsparce GS and Uxie LA, but you can't have it deal more then 50 damage for that 1 Energy via Plus Powers or Expert Belt BEFORE applying Weakness and Resistance.
-The costs printed on the card show it;s limits. No way to get around that.
-This also means that as long as the Pokemon has 2 or more energy attached, it generally has no damage output limit.

Tournament Structure: Swiss 40 minute rounds Best of 3
Top Cut will be 1 hour Best of 3

And some of the other rules are the same as Smackattack's tourny:
-You may NOT modify your deck between rounds
-Deadlines are Deadlines
-There will be no replacements but me if this prevents people from getting away with a Bye
-There are no prizes except bragging rights
-Report cheating.

If there is an unequal amount of players before the signups end, I'll fill in that slot.
1-Espeon1 = Playing:
2-DarthPika = Playing:
3-LegendaryLugia = Playing:
4-Kayle = Playing:
5-Pokemon99 = Playing: Torterrible
6-WinkWinkNudgeNudge = Playing: Magnezone variant
7-CardKeeper = Playing:
8-Mach = Playing:
9-Meesie666666 = Playing:
10-Afstandopleren = Playing:

To ensure that you are in the same network as your opponent, I created a Hamachi Network:
Name: Restricted by Ban Tournament
Pass: Tournament

ROUND 1 PAIRINGS:

Round 1 Pairings

-Cardkeeper VS Meesie666666
-Afstandopleren VS Kayle
-DarthPika 0-1 VS Espeon1 1-0
-WinkWinkNudgeNudge 1-0 VS Pokemon99 0-1
-Mach VS LegendaryLugia

TIME LIMIT:
You have until 13th of March to play.
If you can't play, please notify me and it will result in an unfortunate loss as I'm not doing 'halfsees'.

Also POST the decks you are playing! I am very curious to what will win in this format.

Last edited:
For the cards that do 60 or more for 1 energy in anyway, I assume this discounts plus power/expert belt? In theory, just about anything can hit for 60+ for one energy if you factor those cards in.

This reminds me of the RS tourney I hosted a while back lol

I'm in, but as long as we're on the subject of PlusPowers/Expert Belts, does this mean we can't use any pokemon that can do 60 minimum damage for 1 energy, but we can use Shuppet?

You can use Shuppet, but you can't increase it's damage output with Expert Belt/Plus Power to have it deal more then 50 damage. I'll clarify it in the rules.

im in

hamachi= pokemon99,

just to be clear, if a pokemon has 2 energy attached it can do up to 2000000 damage?

well, i maen that if a pokemon is not on the ban list and has 2 or more energy attached it can do any amount of damage?

Yes, that's the gist of it. There are many good cards that lose to speed decks that have absurd amounts of help in damage output vs attack costs like Energy Gain or drawbacks that fail to really compensate the damage output. This means that as long as the Pokemon has 2 or more energy attached, it has no damage output limit. However, I'm still considering keeping Porygon-Z Promo on the Ban list because it's attack is very easy to charge up in comparison to T-Tar (which is also a debatable ban candidate), making it an easy contender as it's sweeping ability is one of the greatest with almost no threats in this kind of format and I don't want to make it that easy.

So, to be clear, energy gain is not banned, as long as we're not doing 60+ for 1 energy with it? And if we would have the "option" to do 60+ with an energy gain, it obviously wouldn't be considered a possible move for THIS tourney?

BTW, I would recommend the ban of Luxray Lv.x, and Spiritomb (dark grace one). I feel both of these cards are just a bit too disruptive for this format. If Spiritomb isn't banned, then at least Luxray L.vx should be banned. Not because of it's attack, but because it's power is so strong.

So, to be clear, energy gain is not banned, as long as we're not doing 60+ for 1 energy with it? And if we would have the "option" to do 60+ with an energy gain, it obviously wouldn't be considered a possible move for THIS tourney?

BTW, I would recommend the ban of Luxray Lv.x, and Spiritomb (dark grace one). I feel both of these cards are just a bit too disruptive for this format. If Spiritomb isn't banned, then at least Luxray L.vx should be banned. Not because of it's attack, but because it's power is so strong.

Energy Gain itself IS banned.

As this tournament was a spur in the moment idea, I haven't really considered everything in the meta and with that, rl has taken a change in course making it hard to keep my mind at this. I agree with Luxray but don't agree with Tomb as it helps out immensely with Darkness Grace while walling annoyances like Shuppet. It's a double-edged sword IMHO. Makes me remember to put Power Spray on the Ban List.

Back