Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The Weather Wars

DeathtoPuppets

1.) Weather is more than just weather; it revolves around the entire team.
2.) There didn't seem to be a more appropriate place.

This is supposed to be a discussion of anything weather related.

I suppose I will start off with asking, "What weather outdoes the rest?"

I prefer rain due to its support and plentiful members. Rain supports the every powerful water STAB and its members usually benefit better than Sun/Sand/Hail members.

Last edited by a moderator:
This belongs in the single strategies. Team strategies is for full, complete teams.

As for the subject at hand, there is no "Superior" weather in my mind. Rain is much more popular due to it's simplicity and great support. But like with all weather, it is easily halted by an easy switch in or use of another weather move. That is why you will see tyranitar on many teams that do not focus on weather. This is just due to combat it.

Every weather has its niche, rain more than others, but they all cancel each other out. If I see rain I will often lead tyranitar w/iron ball to garuntee the 1st turn weather dominance. It will then pursuit the politoed because it will often switch for later weather dominance.

That is my take on weather - at least how to combat the politoed with a more standard team.

If you are looking for weather to be a core part of your team, Rain is most common followed by Hail. Sun and Sandstorm are far less popular.

If you are looking to splash auto-weather into non-weather focused team you generally avoid Ninetale and Politoed. Tyranitar is a popular choice since it is plenty dangerous by itself and Sand Stream as anti-weather make it even better. Abomasnow can also be dangerous even if it is the only Pokemon that takes advantage of perfect accuracy Blizzard. Hippowdon is far less common than Abomasnow and Tyranitar. Hippowdon is really bulky and can sometimes turn a 3 on 1 situation around. However, in official VGC matches he may have troubles with finishing the job within the time limit.

I myself tend to favor Rain teams because I love water types but Sandstorm teams have some pretty powerful support. The Support for Sand teams lie in the abilities. Use T-Tar, Hippopotas, or Hippowdon to setup the sand and use pokes like Garchomp, Gliscor, who get evasion boost while the sand is out. Excadrill can ether get a 50 percent attack boost or speed boost in the sand. Stoutland gets faster in the sand and is a really good revenge killer because of retaliate.

Normally, that's the team there. Sandstorm also has a hidden effect that boost the Special Defense stat of all Rock type Pokemon by 50 percent so Pokemon like Aerodactyl and Steelix become better. So, Sand teams are both fast and powerful. You'll need to prepare for rain teams though but Zapdos helps with that.

Flower Gift, Harvest, Solar Power, Chlorophyll, boosted Fire Moves and never ending stream of Solar Beams.
I love the sun!

Though I should mention I play doubles.
Cherrim + Sunny Day + Victini + V-Create + Choice Band + Victory Star = An attack with an overwhelming 540 atk power and 106 accuracy!
Leech Seed and Protect make Cherrim hard to pick off. And Flower Gift's Sp. Def Boost helps keep Victini alive to kill again. You can also Scarf him if you prefer, to negate his first Speed drop. Though you drop V-Create's strength to a mere 450.

Last edited:
What is the ability that brings on Sunlight without an attack and how can you get it into a BW team?

What is the ability that brings on Sunlight without an attack and how can you get it into a BW team?

The ability is drought and it is exclusive to Groudon (who cannot be used in VGC) & Ninetales from the dream world.

Drought is a good ability, but if another pokemon with a weather ability (Tyranitar, Politoed, Abomasnow) you will generally lose the advantage due to the slower pokemon getting the auto-weather.

That would be Drought, and only three Pokemon have it. Of course Groudon (it's his signature afterall). Vulpix and Ninetales have it has a hidden Dream World ability, you can find them in the pleasant forest on the Gobal link.

Edit:
Oops somebody already answered, while I was writing...

How do you deal with counter weather teams? That means you'll have to keep the sun out all game.
Actually I use it more as a weather lead. Sunny Day then take out as much as I can before Victini goes down. Though by the time he does the damage is usually done. The rest of that team doesn't even really use Sun except for the Benefits of Flower Gift. Though they aren't really hurt by it either.

P.S.
If the opposing team happens to lead with Groudon, they get pretty wrecked.

Last edited:
Back