Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Thinking Ahead #2: Magma Haymaker?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus

Iron Chef - Master Emeritus
Now, unlike the BaD MoM deck that I built yesterday, this deck will be, without a doubt, legal by release of ADV 4! Now, before the deck, here are yet a few more helpful spoilers to explain the deck:

(Note: Magma's Groudon is on if you look around the site a WHOLE lot...not really a whole lot, but you know what I mean! XD)

MAGMA'S ZANGOOSE [70 HP] (Basic Colorless Pokemon)
[C] Call For Backup
Search your deck for a Basic Pokemon card with Magma in its name and put
it on your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterwards. (You can't use this
attack if your Bench is full.)
[CCC] Team Play (10x)
Does 10 damage times the number of Pokemon with Magma in its name in
play
WEAKNESS: FIGHTING
RETREAT: C

MAGMA ENERGY (ENERGY - Special Energy)
Attach Magma Energy to any of your Pokemon with Magma in its name. At the end of
your turn, discard Magma Energy.
Magma Energy provides any number of Fighting or Darkness Energy but provides
only 2 at a time.
If at any time the Pokemon Magma Energy is attached doesn't have Magma in its
name, discard Magma Energy.
79/80 Uncommon [Takumi Akabane]

Pokemon (12):

4 Dunsparce (Sandstorm)
4 Magma's Zangoose
4 Magma's Groudon

Trainers (24):

4 Magma Ball
4 TV Reporter
4 Team Magma Conspirator
4 Mr. Briney's Compassion
4 Warp Point
2 Apricorn Maker
2 Town Volunteers

Energy (24):

4 Magma
4 Dark
16 Fighting

This deck is BRUTALLY simple: get out Magma pokemon really , really fast so that you can deal some nice damage with Zangoose and Groudon. That's why we have just about every single card to pull basics in here: Magma, and Apricorn Maker to pull the Magma Balls. Warp Point gets your guys out of bad situations, as will Briney. Last of all, Dark Energy are in there for the added punch that pluspower so nicely gave you in the olden days *sighs*.

Now, this is not only meant to be a vicious and fast deck, but a simple one that even beginners could easily pick up on and do well with. Plus, the little un's at your league will like the whole Magma theme!

Suggestions, thoughts, and critism are all welcome in MY party folks ;)

Last edited:
your basic search is overkill

Dual Ball, Fan Club, Lannette and Sparce maxed??? that is Psyco...

4 Sparce and M Zangoose should be more than enough... dropping 12 cards from the deck... Probably add a couple of Wobbers, some back up Pokes and more draw... hmmm... maybe this

-4 Dual Balls
-4 Fan Club
-4 Lannete
-2 Apricorn

4 Wobbers
4 Psy
4 Magma's Grunt (I think, it lets you draw 3 for discarding a Poke from hand, or 4 if you discard a Magma in name Poke)
4 Oaks Research/Shaman
2 Archie/Maxie (whichever works for Magma Pokes.... allows you to choose from hand or discard, and put it into play.. if it is stage 2, which it wont be obviously, put 2 coutners on it...)

My 2 cents, and then some....

along with spec's ideas, 24 nrg??? well with specs, 28 nrg????

that is crazy like whoa!!!

drop 6 fighting, the 4 psychic

add 4 multi/rainbow and more draw cards

Sorry, was oblivious to the energy count, or I woulda scoffed it too.... I think Psy or Rainbow.. I only picked Psy since it is a Basic energy.... and add 1 Fisherman...

You have absolutely no drawpower... did you forget this important part of decks or just think it wasn't needed? Either way, you really need it and you way overkilled on searching for basics and crap man.

Here's what I suggest.

Pokemon (12):

4 Dunsparce (Sandstorm)
4 Magma's Zangoose
4 Magma's Groudon

(I don't really know what all is coming out in this next set, so all I'm going to say for the pokemon is add in some more Magma pokes for the remaining slots left in the deck that I took from energy.)

Trainers (24):

4 Professor oaks Research
4 Copycat
4 TV reporter
2 Professor Birch
2 Oracle
2 Mr. Brineys Compassion
2 Warp Point
2 Switch
1 Fisherman
1 Town volunteers

Energy (18):

4 Magma
4 Dark
10 Fighting

Last edited:
Note to Youngjohn06...

Spoiler for Magma grunt makes it better than Reporter... discards a Poke from hand first (only down side to reporter) then draws 3, if it had Magma in name, draw 1 more...

Yeah, with 6 slots I would consider adding in a few more basics, or a stage 1 Magma line....

Spectreon said:
Note to Youngjohn06...

Spoiler for Magma grunt makes it better than Reporter... discards a Poke from hand first (only down side to reporter) then draws 3, if it had Magma in name, draw 1 more...

Yeah, with 6 slots I would consider adding in a few more basics, or a stage 1 Magma line....

How is that better? You have to have a specific type of card to discard, TV reporter is any. Look at it this way. You top deck Magma Grunt with a hand total of 1 including the grunt... oops gotta wait for a pokemon. You top deck TV reporter with a hand total of 1 including reporter... hmm I'll play TV reporter now and get 2 cards I can possibly use instead of being helpless.

Last edited:
For my overkill, well...it's meant to be overkill, bud! I like trying unorthodox deck ideas out, EVEN if it's 24 energy and max out on normally useless trainers. This deck doesn't need any other draw than basic drawing, as energy will be easy to pull at a WHOPPING TWENTY-FOUR! Most decks do NOT play more than 20, but that's okay, since I only have 12 basics, and just need a full bench for a good game.

So, play it as you will...I've made up crazier stuff than this, so don't freak out! This is just something to break the mold of all those Blaziken/Gardevoir decks that are everywhere. People are all like, "Hmmm...will this help Blaziken any? or "Hmmm...I think the metagame's safe from Gardevoir!!! harharhar!" It's my party, and I'll go insane if I want to. ;)

Last edited:
Registeel, the spoilers for Magma energy are on Patriarch's first post. Most likely, it will be the same effect for Aqua energy.

Anyways, this does look like an interesting deck. I would suggest the following...

-4 Lanette net search
-4 Fan Club (you already have Dunsparce)
+4 TV Reporter
+4 Magma Grunt

No, this isn't trying to bump the topic. I merely edited to deck to match the current set. Conspirator is truly a wicked thing for this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back