tie breakers

Discussion in 'City Championships' started by larllt, Dec 29, 2007.

1. larllt

larllt New Member

does anyone know what all the tiebreakers are, like when 2nd and 3rd in a t2 have the same record, opp win %, and opp opp win %? today our pto said that i got third because i lost before the other person.

2. Lawman

Lawman Active Member

The TOM program lines up the players in order. The tie breaks are built into the program. If the program said you were 3rd, you were.

Keith

3. larllt

larllt New Member

k

i'd just like to know what they are.

4. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

5. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

there is no first loss tiebreaker.

6. Skitty

Skitty New Member

I've heard that loosing the first round is very bad for tiebreakers. More than the other rounds. If this is true, then I think that's what he means.
    If someone knows, could they ether back me up on this or correct me?

7. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

loosing the first round can be bad for your tie breakers but it is not guaranteed to be bad. It has more to do with how well your first round opponent does in the whole tournament that the actual loss.

Playing anyone who has received a BYE is never good for your tie-breaker.

8. farbsman

farbsman New Member

That is not what I told him.

He lost round 2 to the highest ranked player in the tournament. He was ranked 3rd going into round 3 (only 7 players in that age group so we only had a total of 3 rounds with top 2 cut) The last round the person ranked 2nd and 1st played. Which is always how it is since they were both 2-0. Since he lost to the highest ranked player in round 3 causing him to be 1-1 he played someone with a lower ranking in the last round (guessing where he got the loss thing) The last tie breaker is the ranking of the person you played in the last round. Since the person he was tied with played the top ranked player (both were 2-0 at the time) the guy he was tied with had the higher ranked opponent for the last round and ended up second.

Everytime he came up I was busy doing something else, all 3 age groups, his being the smallest ended at different times so once we checked decks from his age group I went right to putting in reslts and posting the next round or standings. If you were so worried about seeing how tie breakers were done all you had to do was ask to see it and I could have shown you or printed it out for you, they were on my screen on the computer. However each time you came up you just asked if they were right and what document it was in.

I have very rarely seen the 3rd place opponent going into the last round end up ranked 2nd after the final round.

9. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

I agree. I've seen it but it is uncommon.