To Be or Not To Be: Cessations in Empoleon

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Magnechu, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Magnechu

Magnechu Active Member

I am asking all of you, PokeGym, what your opinion is on the matter.

Since Empoleon has come out, people have been trying to find the perfect deck to go with it. It still hasn't been found. I've seen variants with Fossils, both Omastar and Aerodactyl, separate and together, variants with Bronzong, variants with Phione, some without, and some play nothing with Empoleon. Some play Claydol and some don't. Most do though.

So, members of PokeGym, what have you been playing, what have you seen being played, and what was been successful in your views? From what I've seen, Empoleon/Claydol/XXX seems to do best, but who knows what the XXX is.

And here is where my real question comes in. With Claydol, it would seem hard to run Cessations, right? I've heard of some people crazy enough to do it (Chuck) but not too many. So, have any of you seen or played a really successful Cessation Crystal Empoleon deck? I know I haven't with too much success, or at least have found it to be inferior to the Fossil or Bronzong variants.

So, PokeGym, what have YOU seen?!

Mikey

2. Bolt

Bolt New Member

I personally have not seen anyone run Cessation with Empoleon. It seems like you really need to swarm and that's so much easier to do with a working Claydol.

3. master of puppets

master of puppets New Member

Who's playing Empoleon with straight edge?

I think the best list for Empoleon is just a straight Empoleon with support.
    Something like
    4/2/3/1 Emp
    2/2/2 Omastar
    2/2 Claydol
    then maybe a line or two of some other kind of tech that might suit your fancy.

4. poke_master2008

poke_master2008 New Member

4/2/3/1 - Empoleon
    2/1/2 - Omastar
    2/2 Claydol
    1/1 Dusknoir

And in mine i actually use 2 Cess just for when i'm set up or i'm up enough to where i only need empoleon and i'll throw on a cess crystal as a little suprise

5. vietgamer1021

vietgamer1021 New Member

i ran:

4-2-3-1 Emp
    2-2 Mantine
    2-2 Claydol
    1 Suicune

all this alog with one cess crystal ;), its a nasty surprise once you lay it down after you claydol or wager them

6. Riq

Riq New Member

I play cessation in my empoleon deck and it runs Claydol and omastar just play a few

7. KAZUTO!!!

KAZUTO!!! New Member

Though I haven't played Empoleon, and won't play it this season, I wouldn't actually play it with Omastar. My Pokemon would look like this:

Empoleon x4
    Prinplup x3
    Piplup x4
    Claydol x2
    Baltoy x2
    Phione x4

I want a fast Empoleon, so 4-3-4 Empoleon line is best here. Claydol is for consistency. Phione is the starter. I won't go too in depth in the strategy, as most of you posting here know how to play Empoleon. >.>

I wouldn't go for playing Cessation. Unless your running just 4-3-4 Empoleon and maybe Phione, it could be counter-productive. So, no Cessation IMO.

8. Tentacruel13

Tentacruel13 New Member

Just look at my mca3's decks. They use cess. crystal but they lack the SWEET ability to use powers.

9. garchompx12

garchompx12 New Member

the negatives of cessation outweigh the benefits. times have really changed since last year(no holon engine) and now empoleon wouldnt be consistent without claydol

10. ShadowGuard

ShadowGuard <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Cessation Empoleon is just too slow.

As already stated for many times, you need Claydol to build up fast enough to compete with decks like GG. Next thing is, Empoleon often runs second lines or tech Pokémon that have problem with Cessation (Omastar, Dusknoir, Bronzong, Gardevoir, just to mention a few examples seen success at big tournaments).

And although Pachirisu is replaced with Call Energy in some decks, it's still around and does 70 damage to a Cessation Empoleon.

11. Papi/Manny

Papi/Manny New Member

What, nobody playing 1-1-1 garchomp lvl X and getting 3 heads? *cough*matt*cough*. But the cess version has had some positive results with dol and omastar tech, but its too clunky and slows the deck down alot.

12. Phazon Elite

Phazon Elite New Member

Starter/Emp/Claydol/Cessation works. You don't play the Cessation as soon as you get it . . . you play smart and drop it when the time is right (opponent has a low hand, opponent discarded a Windstorm, etc.).

It's harder to use now because people saw how Crystal Beach and Cessation did good at Regionals, but it still works.

13. getlikeme23

getlikeme23 New Member

With the majority of decks playing pachirisu it will never be a right time to play cessation crysal in a empoleon deck. 70 damage by a pachirisu is not worth it for a turn of no powers.

14. Cresprit

Cresprit New Member

Straight Empoleon with CC pretty much spells death for MagKiss, especially with the Claydol tech speeding it up unless 4 Piplups are prized. I saw an Empodol with CC and GE Lapras as a starter and it totally wiped me out. It seemed to run pretty well.
    I haven't really seen that many Empoleon decks and I wonder if it's really going to get any chance at all to get popular before all the electric cards of the next set get out or if people are anticipating the upcoming flood of electric-type Pokemon and as a result just not even really looking at it.

15. Ignatious

Ignatious New Member

Phione/Claydol/Empoleon/Omastar. Cess slows your deck down more than the opponent though, unless you're good at top decking your fossils.

16. mca3

mca3 New Member

Tent13 is right, I have a VERY Fast Empoleon deck with Cess. Crystal. Everyone that I have played, says they have Never seen an Empo/Cess. Deck get up as fast as Mine. I have played some very good players with it too, Kyle Sablehaus, Bobby Malec, Brian Leary, etc. If you get the right build and Trainer line it is Awesome! I just dont play it ALL the time, because T2 Gallade is just BROKEN!!!

17. Scizor

Scizor New Member

I've seen Cessation and it's not as good. It clogs things up and only players who are unprepared for it will lose to it. Ugh MCA3, do you have to capitalize every other word and end every post with exclamation marks? It's so vexing.

18. Phazon Elite

Phazon Elite New Member

It's actually all caps, but the board converts it to uber-hyper-proper-noun-mode.

19. skarmory777

skarmory777 New Member

Empoleon Cladyol Dusknoir. nuff said.

20. Rew

Rew Active Member

Well i think there should be one now that I think of it. Dugtrio gets shut off by cessation.