TO/Head Judge Checklist?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by ukpokemonpro, Feb 3, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

I am struck with how sometimes touneys run away from you and leave you whirling in the maelstrom of questions, rulings and pairings.. amidst all the clatter it can be easy to forget something.

So I propose that we need a HJ/TO checklist for the day:

Topics may include such things as:

* Format for the tournament, and what modified means
    * Start and Finish Times for Rounds Published
    * Number of Rounds Published
    * Top8/Straight Swiss
    * Age Modified
    * What is meant by Age Modified Swiss/Straight Swiss
    * What procedures are being used for Tie Breakers
    * Prize Structure
    * Lunch and Other Break Times
    * When Tourney Ends
    * Reminder to call the judge over if there is a dispute so he/she can make a ruling before play
    continues
    * pre-tournament Q&A session
    *Introduce the Staff and let everyone know who the Head Judge is so if they want to query a
    ruling by a Judge, they'll know who to ask for
    *Reccommend that all players visit www.pokegym.net and/or the Compendium (shameless plug)
    *advertising for future events and event websites
    *Stressing the importance of having fun and goodsportsmanship!
    *Stressing that the HJ is the final arbiter of rulings and arguing with said person may result in disqualification

So do you have anything to add and do you think it would be useful?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  2. Adv1sor

Adv1sor New Member

Maybe add,
    • Format for the tournament, and what modified means.
    • Reminder to call the judge over if there is a dispute so he/she can make a ruling before play continues.

3. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

Thanks Adv1sor I have updated the list :)

4. GreatFox

GreatFox New Member

Also, something we always do at our Large Tournaments...

• A pre-tournament Q&A session.

Before starting the tournament, while everyone is setting up for the first round, welcome and thank everyone for attending and introduce the staff. Then mentions how the Touny will be ran and start a short Q&A session to get the most important questions and rulings out of the way before playing.

5. Sensei

Sensei Team Compendium Emeritus Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Excellent idea `Pro!This was on my list of preparations to do for my upcoming CC.I`ll chime in later when I`m done with it and if there isn`t anything that wasn`t covered here.:)

`Sensei

6. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

[shameless plug][/shameless plug]

7. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Introduce the Staff. Let everyone know who the Head Judge is so if they want to get a ruling by a Judge overturned, they'll know who to ask for.

8. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

Okay I have updated the checklist with the suggestions so far. Just remember you may not want to use all the checklist and that any timings and plan are always subject to change and never survive contact with reality..

Do we want to think about ordering the checklist or is that too prescriptive?

9. Sensei

Sensei Team Compendium Emeritus Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

•Stressing the importance of having fun and goodsportsmanship!

•Stressing that the HJ is the final arbiter of rulings and arguing with said person may result in disqualification

`Sensei

10. P_A

P_A Active Member

If certain parents decide they want to donate some item (in our case it was a big bag of chocolates) remember to give them credit. Gives the parents reason to appreciate coming and helping out, and the kids may even thank them (slight chance of that, but you never know).

Show appreciation for the assistance given - in any way. Doesn't necessarily have to be product. A kind word, or a thank you really does go a long way. If you have the chance to announce your appreciation to everyone, do so. It makes people more willing to help the next time.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  11. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

Okay I have updated the checklist and wonder does anyone have a preferred order for the items?