To Nintendo: Reccomendation on Format

Discussion in 'Archive' started by RaNd0m, Aug 14, 2003.

1. RaNd0m

RaNd0m New Member

I've heard lots of debate on what the format should be, and why... and here's my thoughts on it.

I think the format Nintendo should choose would be using only their cards. Ruby/Sapphire On.

Lots of people have bashed this format, saying it has little to no draw and is stale. This is simply UNTRUE. Those that are saying this obviously haven't played it. MOST TCG's don't have as much drawing as Pokemon did. The format is extremely fun to play, and very interesting.

The other reason for this format would be that it would be a GREAT way to include new players. Asking players to buy cards from PREVIOUS expansions and the current really shafts them.

Not to mention, if WotC isn't going to be PRINTING them anymore, you're forcing people to use ebay or something to get them.

Please, MT Jimmer and the rest of the Nintendo crew, use this format, or at least use your cards only.

~ RaNd0m

2. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

It seems highly probable that the format will be R&S on by the time Nintendo get around to organising a 'worlds' type competition. My guess is that we might see a 'worlds' late next year. fingers crossed for you guys in the USA.

Until competative play gets off the ground under Nintendo we can do pretty much what ever we wish. Personally I'm fed up with seeing the same old Genesis cards in every deck: including my own! The thing about rotating the blocks is that they have to be ROTATED. So before we settle down to 'worlds' or whatever I'd like to try my hand at a few block formats before then....

Its a minor detail but strictly none of the cards were ever WotC or Nintendo. They are all TPC cards.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2003
  3. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

Hmmmm...it's hard to say; on the one hand, it would be very 'rookie'-friendly...but on the other, it's not going to make the CURRENT players (nor their parents ;))very happy to have cards they just bought within the last six months obsolete for organized gameplay....

JMHO,
    'mom

4. Cyrus

Cyrus Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

Pokemom already made one of my points about obsolete cards. However, another annoying thing about a Ruby/Sapphire on format would be that the card pool is simply not large enough (Yes, even WITH Sandstorm to be released).

I like the idea Mr. Schweppe, and it could be pretty neat, but draw power is a MUST in Pokemon, for one thing above all: evolutions. If you can't evolve easily, then you just might as well play big basics 24/7, which would NOT be a pretty scene.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2003
  5. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

And with the EX Pokemon, there's plenty of BBPs to choose from now.

6. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

Pokemon's strength has always been its large search engine, and the control the players have over their own game.

My boys do not like YGO, except for extremely casually, in that they feel there is far too much dependence on top-decking luck.

There is a little of that in Pokemon, but far more Pokemon Trader, Copycat, EEEEEEK, and other ways to get rolling and cards you need on a focused basis.

Maybe Sandstorm will have that draw power we all like, and R/S on will work, but I am still a proponent of EON.

Meganium45

7. RaNd0m

RaNd0m New Member

I don't see "too little drawing" in the format, however. With Professor Birch, Pokenav, Pokeball (LOL), and Delcatty, there's quite a bit. I've even decked a couple times. I understand it's a LOT different from formats we're used to playing because we don't actually have SEARCH.

I understand the concern about BBP's being huge in the format, and actually, they are. I put together a "haymaker" deck that was HUGE at first... but now more and more it's beatable. Such stage 1's as Sharpedo, Mightyena, and Hariyama can really pack punches. There are even a few legitimate stage 2's... Gardevoir, Blaziken, Aggron, and Sceptile to name a few...

They are releasing some fossil cards in sandstorm, maybe they'll reprint a couple "search" cards, like Pokemon Trader. Remember, Rare Candy will be coming out... and it's essentially a breeder, a HUGE asset to Stage 2 decks.

I've never had as much fun with a format as this one.

Of course, BBP's are a MUST. If you play psychic, you must play Mewtwo ex. If you play fire, you MUST play Magmar ex. But it's somewhat nice seeing a format thats almost a hybrid between unlimited and modified... strong basics duking it out to begin with, and then evolutions going all out on each other. It's almost what Pokemon was meant to be.

I think we've been spoiled with all the draw power we've had in the past, and we're forgetting how to play without it. In my current deck, which is a form of haymaker (Delcatty/Mewtwo ex/Magmar ex), I play 28 trainers. Lots of healing (the maximum: 8), lots of draw (Birch, Pokenav, Pokeball) and lots of disruption (4 ER2). However, even THAT gets beat occasionally by the likes of Gardevoir (which will be huge) and Sceptile.

I think if you haven't played this format yet... you have to. It's beyond fun...

~ RaNd0m

8. bulbasnore

bulbasnore Administrator Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Card pool too small.

Not friendly to existing players with big investments 2003.

Least friendly to newer players from e-card era.

-

Brand new players can trade their Magmar Ex/whatever for an Oracle/Copycat/Elm (so they don't have to use that wretched Birch). Trading is part of the game.

Glad you like your proposed format and are having fun with it. Here's hoping it waits 'til the card pool is bigger. I'd say Summer/Fall 2004 is a good time for RS-on.

9. Rocketman

Rocketman New Member

We have built a few decks and tested them, using only R & S cards, and they are fun and do make strong drcks. And yes, pokemon has more drawing power by far than any CCG, maybe too much. You could build a deck with nothing but card drawing trainers and pokemon :thumb: But for world class tournaments, the pool is too small, and card drawing is needed for pokemon, evolutions being the biggest reason, among others. But after 4 or 5 more expansions,( or less), that will most certainly be the format. Eon is the best, most fun, and most logical choice for this year.

10. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

i've been testing R/S-only decks with 2-on-2 battles and they do VERY well in that format against the WOTC Modified arch-types. But in normal 1-on-1 battles, my current R/S-only decks (not built for 2-on-2) usually DON'T do well. But, I'm of the opinion that EON (I've not tested that format) is the best format to go with first for Nintendo "modified" format.

Regarding R/S card draw, I somewhat agree with random. It's there, just in limited quantities or different methods (attacks & powers) besides trainers. In R/S-only, I've seen Delcatty and Linoone used very effectively to speed up the game.

Regarding EX BBPs in R/S, without scoop up and big healing, they're too risky to build a deck around. I expect to see them in very limited use in any new Nintendo EON or R/S-on format.

JMO