Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 32 Report 5-2 w/ Reshiram/Typhlosion

FlareonEX

Hey guys,
I really don’t know how to start this report so I just start and we’ll see.

After my nats, where I did really bad, I had to play with the new format. I didn’t like it at all. First I played Yanmega/Donphan/Zoroark and I actually liked it. But when worlds got closer I more and more realised how flippy it was.
I went playtesting with Manuel Broeks and David Meulenbroeks and Manuel said he touch Reshiphlion was the best choice for worlds. So I tried it out and I realised he was right. The deck was consistent and did really good fit the format.

I tweaked the list a few times. Dumbed the idea of Reversals and Cleffa becose they are to flippy, in my option, and I wouldn’t take the risk of getting donked .
I played 4-2-4 typhlosion and 2-2 ninetails. And defender for mirror, which I expected much. As well did I play 9 draw supporter to avoid losing on a turn one Judge.

So now you know my deck, let's go on to the report:

1st Round vs Dylan Bryan w/ Yanmega/Donphan/Zoroark
I got a decent start but drew nothing out of my sage which made my start bad. He could just draw prizes and when I got back in the game his prize lead was so big I could never win.
I’m glad he made top16. Well done man.
0-1

After this I felt real bad. I now had to win all 6 matches to be sure of a place in top 16.

2nd Round vs Yanmega/Magnezone/Kingdra w/Jirachi
After I had made my setup I made a kill every turn. He had a little prize lead but not big enough to win. In his last turn he sended Magnezone with 10 damage forward played a Judge and made a KO (I think) to make it 1-1 in prizes.
Now I had to draw a pluspower/junk arm from his Judge. Fortunately I had assured that I would draw it.
GG
1-1

3rd Round
I have totally forgotten this match :s Sorry.
2-1

4th Round vs Hampus w/ Magneboar.
He flipped 3 times tails-heads on his Cleffa. So he could make his setup while I couldn’t take a prize. That actually ment I had lost the game, surelly becose I didn’t play reversals.
After his Cleffa went down he started attacking with Magnezone, which I KOed. He started searching for another Magnezone but both of them were prized. That won me the game.
Sunday we played a rematch, I didn’t stand any chance.
3-1

5th Round vs Magnezone/Yanmega/Kingdra
We both got a good start. But he discarded his Judges with Junk Arm which lost him the game at the end, I think.
4-1

6th Round vs Jay Hornung w/ Magnezone/Yanmega/Kingdra
I drew nothing out of my Juniper (yeah really :s) and he got everything out turn 3. That gave him the win.
Nice guy and a good player.
4-2

7th Round vs Reshiram/Typhlosion/ no ninetails
After two turns tails on Cleffa he flipped heads on my turn. So I took the first prize. From then on I had to take a prize everyturn.
In his last turn I sended typhlosion forward to stall, I had the dubbel pluspower.
Best game of the day!
5-2

I made top 32 in 22nd seed. It’s annoying I made top 16 last year and ended up against my autolose in top 32. And now I end up top 32 while the top 32 won’t be played.
However I think it’s fair towards the other age divisions to play only a top 16.

At last I want to thank some people:
- Starting with Anna Schipper for playtesting and lending her cards!
- My brother for all playtesting. And gratz on your top 32 with Samurott/Donphan!
- Max Huisman and Gunter van Roey for playtesting and making top 32!
- Bert Wolters, Melchior Hillenkamp and Felix de Jong for playtesting
- Manuel Broeks for giving me the BDIF and playtesting
- David Meulenbroeks for playtesting and gratz on your top 16
- Bert Wolters, Melchior Hillenkamp and Felix de Jong for playtesting
- Everyone at Worlds for making it an unforgettable time

Thanks for reading,
Cya.
David Booij

Last edited:
Awesome job with the 5-2 record and the top 32 in worlds, David. Way to go playing that Reshiphlosion! I like the fact you tried to minimize as much luck as possible, as I think that's what made you do well.

I hope you'll have another awesome year in the TCG, and I also hope we'll meet again next year too.:smile:

~Karol~

Back