Top 8 German Nationals

Discussion in 'Tournaments & Events Worldwide' started by b0n3z, Jun 3, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. b0n3z

b0n3z New Member

German Nationals 2008:

First off the list:

Pokemon (19):
    3 Piplup DP #93
    1 Piplup POP6 #15
    2 Prinplup MD #44
    1 Prinplup DP #58
    3 Empoleon MD #17
    1 Empoleon Lv.X DP #120
    2 Baltoy GE #60
    2 Claydol GE #15
    4 Phione MD #12
    1 Ralts POP7
    1 Gardevoir SW

Energie (16):
    4 Double Rainbow Energy
    4 Call Energy
    5 Water Energy
    3 Scramble Energy

Trainer (23):
    4 Rare Candy
    4 Celio’s Network
    3 Roseanne’s Research
    2 Steven’s Advice
    2 Bebe’s Search
    2 Team Galactics Wager
    2 Night Maintenance
    2 Dawn Stadium
    1 Switch
    1 Warp Point

Dennis Draheim and I tested a lot before Nationals and eventually we decided that Empoleon would be the best deck choice.
    But now to the tourney:
    1. Round Hans M. (Electivire [supposively]):
    I was rather nervous, because it was my first big tournament after a year of playing with a good deck and I somewhat was scared of facing some random Lightning Deck. And then it happened: we flipped our Pokemon and his was an Elekid. I had a Phione start, used my Call Energy effect and got me a Baltoy and Piplup. The next turn I attach to Piplup and evolve Baltoy. He does something and then my great move: I attach a DRE to Claydol and from there it’s down hill and Claydol gets me 4 prizes until he’s running out of Pokemon.
    1-0

2. Round Kevin B. (Plox)
    It wasn’t really a long game. I had a decent start and was just better than Plox.
    2-0

3. Round Claudio T. (Plox w/ Kabutops)
    He doesn’t get much this game. At some point he has a Gardy out and a Kabutops, but they’re no problem for my Empoleon.
    3-0

4. Runde David S. (Plox w/ Eevee)
    David built a really good deck. He has a better start than me, but his Leafeon are both prized and my Gardy is prized so we’re pretty even on that.
    At some point, he does get his Leafeon and I have big trouble to knock it out, and when I knocked it out it was already too late.
    3-1

5. Runde Julian W. (Magcatty)
    The first time I had a real nice match-up. He played Holon FF which gets away my advantage over him. After a slow start I finally get something going, although his Magmortar Lv.X is already attacking for a couple of turns. At one point I put him on 80 Dmg for a next round KO and all he does is playing triple potion and a R-energy to heal it completely. Eventually I got rid off it and it was downhill from there.
    4-1

6. Runde Karl P. (Plox)
    He’s one of the Germans who were in Hawaii with me last year. I didn’t like playing him, because I know he’s a good player and a friend. I start alright and his start is a little slow. At one point all he had left was one Ralts but after a Wager he gets a Gardy + Candy + DRE. So he started a small comeback, but he was way behind and I won it.
    5-1

By then it was sure for me to be in the t16, and Dennis and Clara had little chances being 4-2 getting into the cut. Unfortunately, neither made it.

Top 16 Alex D. (Empoleon/Dusknoir)
    We play a really intense first game, which he wins eventually. GG! 0-1

I win the second game on an early wager and he’s left with Piplup 2 Energys and a Battle Frontier. 1-1

It was obvious the third game would get into time-out. He had a good start, slightly better than mine. At one point I did a huge misplay. Instead of knocking out his two Baltoy with 30 damage I was too scared of him Scrambling a new Empoleon and giving me a hard time. He topdecked the Celio to get out a Claydol. What a bummer. After a big comeback and already being 2 prizes behind, I was able to take my last prize at the time out call with my Lv.X. GG
    6-1

Top8 Tobias T. (Empoleon/Bronzong/Omastar):
    I knew I would be better in the mirror, especially after the intense top16 games. I dominated the whole game, because I always sniped his Claydols and he couldn’t get all the cards he needed eventually.1-0

The second game it had to happen. My starting hand: Piplup, DRE, Prinplup, Dawn Stadium, Celio, DRE, Scramble. He had an uber start. Second turn Claydol, third turn Empoleon w/ DRE and W. I had no chance at all. I made a comeback, but by that time he was already ahead by three prizes and in the end he dual splashed phione and claydol twice ftl. 1-1

The third game, was over because he had everything with me only having one Claydol and one Empoleon. 1-2

I want to say that I could have easily taken my time on the second game and let this game go into time-out, but I let him play the whole game. I played fair and didn’t take the same time he always takes for his turns and eventually I lost because of that.

Pros:
    - Having a great deck after only 3 weeks of testing
    - David, behrad, dennis, clara, and matthias…they’re all good players!!!

Cons:
    - This game needs chessclocks
    - Matthias for getting a bad beat in t16
    - Clara and dennis not making tops.
    - Only 6 rounds of swiss…THE worst decision ever!!!

Thanks also to andceo. sry i didnt make it this year ;/

2. Jason

Jason New Member

gj on what you have done so far, Max. :)

3. bugsbite

bugsbite New Member

Yes, good job and great report. It was funny reading about the attacking Claydol for the prize cards!

4. andceo

andceo New Member

GL Max.

I hope you would have make it....i called it but maybe i gave you bad luck!
    Let's see what happens next year...props to you on making T8 in a so big tournament!

5. Fireborn

Fireborn New Member

GJ on your top 8! With Empoleon =D

I'm amazed how many people went for Empoleon last weekend. In Dutch Nats it was the winning deck as well, and I made top 8 with it. Awesome that you did so well with it too!

6. Einstein

Einstein New Member

Good Job Max

Du gehst an die Worlds!?

7. Treecko

Treecko New Member

Hey max,
    too bad you didn't win,
    GJ though, hope to see you at worlds or maybe next year :thumb:

Arco

8. ryanvergel

ryanvergel New Member

I was hoping to meet you in Orlando.

Congrats at doing so well in such a large showing (I feel like I'm just repeating now haha). Nice deck too!

9. Bohn

Bohn New Member

schade =(
    it was nice to meet u in hawaii
    but still good deck and nice job buddy

10. b0n3z

b0n3z New Member

Thanks to everyone for the congrats.