Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 8 with Tyranitar/Serperior - James A's Nats Report!

DragonairMaster8

Hi there everybody! For those who don’t know me, I’m James Arnold (AKA Tyranitar kid, kid with that T-Tar deck, Wames, or “He played Tyrani-WHAT?”).

I’ve played the game since Base Set, but had quit shortly after HGSS came out last year. I played in a state championship, went 4-2, and decided that I didn’t want to play a game that had DCE on Garchomp LV X in it. So I sat out of the Pokemon Scene until October, where I wanted to give it another shot. I went to a Battle Road with a Scizor Deck, going 3-0 until I played against a Donphan deck that was able to donk me. Then in finals, playing against the same person, I was donked game 1 and drew a bad hand game 2, and decided that until donks became much less of a problem than they were the game probably still wasn’t for me. So I sat, and sat, and sat...and then on April 25th, when Pokemon made the Announcement that they *might* rotate to HGSS on...everything came back together.

Me and my buddy Steven immediately got to testing, and within a day realized that the Power Cards of the format were going to be Yanmega, Emboar, and Magnezone. We tested until I realized that testing wasn’t going to accomplish that much until the event got closer, and so we held off a little longer.

Then around the end of June, my buddy Keaton and I began trying to perfect lists of all the normal Archetypes so we could decide between them for nats. We had nearly been sold on our ZPS list, seeing as It had a t1 KO rate of around 80%. Even though it clearly has issues going into the last 2 prizes in a full game, getting a t1 KO is so huge it kind of balances that out. However, the evening of July 3rd, as I was flipping through my binder, I stared at my 6 copies of Tyranitar Prime and thought of all the good times I used to have with Rocklock (one of my favorite decks of all time, next to LBS). And then it all clicked...Tyranitar has a great matchup against almost everything. The only problem was fighting decks, which I didn’t think would be seeing as much play/be able to make it very far due to the extreme amount of Yanmega. So i decided that no matter what, due to it’s matchups vs everything but fighting, and due to how much fun I’d be having playing my old buddy Tyranitar, I built the deck, and me and Keaton tested it for about 3 hours. After realizing how viable it actually was, we put it away and didn’t test at all the rest of the days before the event...LOL.

On Thursday, Taylor came and picked me up and we headed to Indy with John and Chester in tow. I immediately knew the trip was going to be an entertaining one with the crew I was going with. We got up to Indy, pre registered, and I played some fun games with my ZPS. Got to see everybody (KEATON, Steven B, Tyler K, Hannah K, Trevor M, Steven H, Dan R, Austin R, Orion C, John G and anyone else I didn’t mention) and prepared myself mentally to walk in tomorrow with Tyranitar.

Friday comes, I buy some Snivy Stuff (considering he’s one of the greatest Pokemon of all time) and head in for my first game.

Disclaimer: I played against a LOT of similar decks. I'm sorry if I mix up any details of our games.

Round 1 VS Yanmega/Magnezone

I get setup fairly early, while he snipes around my board. My first Tyranitar falls to Magnezone, but my second one revenge Ko’s it and after that he couldn’t board enough energy to wipe away more Tyranitars.
1-0

Round 2 VS Yanmega/Magnezone

This is a close game, where she gets a lot of snipe Ko’s before I can setup. I’m forced to bench BOTH Tyrogue and Cleffa, which is never good vs a Yanmega deck. It comes down to 2-1 in prizes, me in the lead, but both cleffa and Tyrogue are still benched. She’s used two judges, and has a fresh Yanmega active, with a benched Yanmega with 80 and a benched Kingdra with 80. My active T-tar has 3 energy, and I have the darkness in hand to be able to ko Yanmega next turn. She plays her 3rd Judge, I whiff the energy, and she ties up the game killing Tyrogue. I draw, still whiff, and play my hand down to 2. After she drew her prize, she’s at 5 in hand, drawing into 6. With nothing to evolve, and all junk arms gone, 3 judges gone, and 4 copycats, I figure theres no way she’s going to be able to match that hand size the next turn, so I swing for 60 with Power Claw. She topdecks the 4th judge and wins the game.
1-1

Round 3 VS Steven H with Lanturn/Zoroark

I was surprised and disappointed to see that I had to face a friend this early in the tournament, and we were in for a good game. His Zoroark posed a problem as it was dark type, and thus invulnerable to Darkness Howl. He got enough energy on board to one shot me with Lanturns, but I sneaked ahead at one point in the exchange and came out on top.

2-1

Round 4 VS ZPS with Yanmega

He doesn’t get a very fast start, allowing me to setup. After Tyranitar comes into play VS this deck, it’s very hard for it to ever die. The same was true this game, and I pretty much swept.

3-1

Round 5 VS Emboar/Magnezone

I get an awful start, while he sets up fairly quickly. He dominates me without me ever drawing a prize, hitting 5 reversal heads lol. He was a cool guy though, and that’s Pokemon, so I was cool with it haha.
3-2

Round 6 VS Cleffa

This was the lamest game I played all day. I was able to collector for Tyrogue and donk her lone Cleffa. I hate winning this way, but that’s the way the game is played sometimes. Sorry Emily!
4-2

So I leave with a solid 4-2, and hang out with my buds. I relize tomorrow is going to be a tough day needing to go 7-2, and prepare myself for it by playing absolutely no Pokemon cards.

Round 7 VS Vileplume/Yanmega/Magnezone

This was a great game, and against one of the coolest guys I met this weekend. Tyranitar simply wouldn’t die though, and was able to Darkness Howl 6 times for the win.
5-2

Round 8 VS Yanmega/Kingdra

This was a very good game consisting of back and forth prize trades. However, Tyranitar was able to put enough damage on board for Jirachi to seal up the game taking 3 prizes in one shot.
6-2

Round 9 VS Emboar/Magnezone

We both setup, and were able to take a few prizes. It came down to his RDL, Magnezone, and Emboar with 60, and he took 2 prizes with RDL taking the game to 2-3 his favor. Jirachi came up and de-evolved his Magnezone and emboar, leaving him with just RDL with 2 Energy on it. He was unable to kill Jirachi, and Tyranitar came up the next turn and finished the game.
7-2

I was so pumped to have topped with Tyranitar at this point! I knew it would only get tougher from here, but I also knew I could handle it. I head to Orion’s room to help him test VS Donphan, and then head back down, only to see that I’ll have to play against someone I didn’t want to.

T132 VS Alex H. with Yanmega/Magnezone

I had never met Alex before, but had known his dad for a long time.

Game 1: He got a fairly quick start, and was able to take multiple prizes early, disrupting me with judge. However, Tyranitar was able to spread enough damage that Jirachi came down and de-evolved his entire board for the win.
(1-0)
Game 2: He opened with a Shaymin, and drew a pretty bad hand. I was able to get up an early Tyranitar and sweep his 2 Pokemon because of it. Sorry Alex!
(2-0)
8-2

T64 VS Yanmega/Kingdra

Game 1: He starts Horsea, I start larvitar. I go first and do 10 to him with Bite. He draws, copycats, and doesnt draw a basic. He attaches a rainbow to Horsea, and deals 20 to Larvitar. I draw, Rare Candy to Tyranitar, attach Special Dark and Darkness howl for the KO and win.
(1-0)

Game 2: He gets a much better start, and me not so much. I’m able to play out of it though, and begin spreading damage around before seeing my opening - I read that his hand is not going to give him what he needs to be able to ko Tyranitar within 2 turns, so I start Megaton Tailing. My read is right, and Megaton Tail sweeps the game.
(2-0)
9-2

T32 VS Taylor M. Yanmega/Magnezone

I did NOT want to play against her, especially this early in the cut. We had an epic game back at Nashville Cities in 09, and I didn’t want to relive that intensity lol.

Game 1: She doesn’t get a very fast start, and I’m able to sweep with Damage Spread. The Tyranitars just keep dropping, and she scoops about 25 minutes in.
(1-0)

Game 2: She gets a better start, but I kept drawing what I needed every time she would judge. Once the 3rd Tyranitar hit the board, we both knew I was pretty much over and Megaton Tail swept from there.
(2-0)

I hated having to be the one knocking both Alex and Taylor from the tournament, but was also very happy about having made the top 16 with Tyranitar! I get interviewed by TheTopCut and walk around on Cloud 9. I wait around to see If they post pairings for tomorrow, but after an hour I give up and go to eat, seeing as It wouldn’t change anything anyway.

I walk in on Sunday knowing I only need to win this one more match to get the invitation to Worlds, and two more matches for the guaranteed trip. I feel that due to the small amount of Donphan remaining, I have a pretty good shot. I talk with Evan M, and we both hope for a me and him finals.

T16 VS Evan B. Emboar/Ninetales/Reshiram/Rayquaza & Deoxys Legend
Game 1: I draw the worst hand of the tournament, and Cleffa is unable to fix it. By the time I get setup, He’s too far ahead, and RDL seals the game for him.
(0-1)

Game 2: My Darkness Howls begin overwhelming him, and I’m able to get into a position where he cannot KO a Tyranitar and Tyranitar will OHKO anything he lays down.
(1-1)

Game 3: We both realize we are short on time, and I know I am at a major disadvantage when It comes to taking prizes. I get setup, and HAVE to cleffa repeatedly to do so. He draws a terrible hand of Reshiram, Tepig, and 5 energy. He is able to get the prize on the cleffa, but by that time I am setup with a Tyranitar, and there is no way he can come back.
(2-1)

T8 VS Jayson H. Yanmega/Magnezone

Me and Jayson have known each other for years and years, as he used to come to all the Kentucky Tournaments. I know I am in for a great game either way, and hate that one of us has to knock the other out here, one game away from the trip.

Game 1: He snipes around my board, putting damage on everything, as I start out with a terrible hand. But I am able to get Tyranitars up eventually and put enough damage out there that everything gets ko’d.
(1-0)

Game 2: I open up Tyranitar, Rare Candy, Larvitar, and 5 Energy (he mulliganed). I proceed to get benched turn 4 as I never draw a basic or supporter.
(1-1)

Game 3: I get a very slow start, and know that I am probably going to end up losing to time. He is able to get 3 prizes before I get any setup whatsoever, but there Is a glimmer of hope once I get up my Tyranitar, and hope that he’s able to run train. Alas, he is able to match my hand size enough times to finish everything off. Great Games.
(1-2)

So the dream dies, one win away from the trip. However, If I was going to have to lose to somebody, it would probably be Jayson that I chose. I collect my winnings, and realize how far I made it with a deck that everyone counted out.

However, as I’m sitting down talking to some friends, a kid comes over and asks me for help putting together his Victini action figure. I try to help him, but am unable to fix it. As he walks away, either he or his mom must have accidentally picked up the bag that had my scholarship forms and all my winnings in them, as he had the same kind of bag. I immediately freak out, and run around searching for them. Luckily, I find out that it had just been turned in, and Clay, Keith, and Rick all help me put it on my back so that doesnt happen again. Who knew that’s what those straps were for! ;p Thanks to everyone who helped look, and to those who turned it in. It helps to know how amazing the Pokemon Community is.

Anyways, this nationals was a blast. While I’m unsure that I’ll be able to use my invitation for monetary reasons, I’m hoping that I’m able to get enough together, as going to worlds again would be a blast.

I love me some Tyranitar.

PROPS:
Snivy. Greatest Pokemon Ever? Possibly.
Tyranitar - Second Invitation to Worlds that you’ve won me? Thanks bro.
Keaton - Couldn’t have done it without ya, bro.
Steven B, Trevor M, Taylor M, and all my other amazing friends - For picking me up after feeling a little down when my run ended.
Clay M, Rick M, Keith H, John G, and the rest of the amazing Judge Staff - Thank you for all that you do. For the game itself, and for me personally.
Jayson - Great games, man. Good luck at worlds, if I don’t get to see you there.

Slops:
Victini Action Figures and their distracting, bag location memory loss powers

Last edited:
ahaha I didn't know you were him (him being James....being you)

I was cheering for you cause you had the best top cut interview ;D

Congrats on top8 buddy!

I heard about this deck and flipped a brick since I totally agree with on Snivy (though I prefer the big Serp better), so I would like to congratulate you on top 8'ing with Rogue, and a rogue with Serperior at that.

Gogo snivy gogo.

James, I hated to see you leave the game last year and I'm glad you've gotten back in now. You've always been one of the nicest to us when we've visited KY. You're always welcome to make the short drive down to TN for our events. Who knows, maybe you'll win some more down here.

Hope to see you at Worlds as Evan has his first ever invite.

Rick

-Cough- James, you totally played -me- round 3. xD ZPS? And here I thought we had a good game, you goof. <3

-Steven

Congrats on winning your invite, and thanks for doing an interview with us! It was one of the most entertaining ones for sure. You can find it on TopCutPokemon's YouTube channel if you want to watch it! Hopefully we get a chance to talk to you again. See you at Worlds!

Great Job and GREAT DECK CHOICE!! (I see vailed criticisms here that seems to suggest you got lucky to get in top 8 with the deck choice.)

It doesn't seem like folks are giving props to Serperior. Some players need to aske themselves how their YANMEGA /Something deck does against a Serperior or two is on the bench. I understood that Top tables where going to be dominated by Yanmega and likely with Kingdra.

I played 4-4 Donphan, Reshi, with a thick 3-3-3 Serperior line, benched Serperior by itself gives the Yanmega's FITS. I didn't navigate the early rounds very well to start 1-3 (0-3 going 2nd and some incredible launchs by my opponents), thus I didn't get to see the top table stuff. But when I did get yanmega/something match ups, I did roll them.

BTW, I didn't realize the Blister Pack PROMO Snivy existed until after the event. (1 Colorless energy attack, flip for paralyze!)

Again, I think your choice was very solid given the meta-game, and you obviously played the weekend very well!

Last edited:
James I'm proud to say i playtest with you at starbucks haha. Its really kool to be able to say yeah my friend got top 8 in pokemon nats with his deck. Your a awesome bro. Keep trolling :p

Honestly, T-tar/Serperior was one of my top 3 deck choices for nats, but I ended up using ReshiBoar--which was not the best choice. But I never thought about using jirachi.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Steven: Ah, I'm sorry! I LOVED are game and when writing the report it wasn't registering that that was an actual tournament game rather than a fun game. It was one of the more enjoyable of the day.

Rick: Thanks! I shall see you guys at worlds, and try to make it down to TN tournaments more often!

SLOW DECK: Funnily enough, I didn't know promo Snivy existed either, and used the G for 10 one. The first thing I did after losing top 8 and collecting my prizes was run over to TNT and buy them lol.

Back