Tournament manger software frustration

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by ScythKing, Nov 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScythKing

ScythKing Member

This stuff reeks! I'm in the middle of the EX Dragon pre-release and this stuff has let me down in a big way.
    It has no easy way to drop a player. I had a 10- player that it gave a bye (even though I had a even # of players) and refused to schedule an older player that it just "vanished". I'm now running it by hand because of serious issues. Grrrrr.

2. RainbowRichards

RainbowRichards Active Member

You'll really need to email Jimmer to tell him about any problems with TMS!

3. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

From what I'm told, Jimmer has been working around the clock trying to fix the program.

But it still has not improved much from version one... I dunno what happened, but we managed to drop a player today. Of course I was not behind the computer nor software, so I could not tell you how its done. Did you have a conflict with trying to print it out? We had to click "Print Screen" key and paste it over to MS Paint and print in order to post our pairings. And boy do I miss match slips... :X
    -Phil

4. Sensei

Sensei Team Compendium Emeritus Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Hmmm....

When I first downloaded the software,I ran a mock tournament just to get used to it a little bit and see what it was like.I ran into several problems:

•No matter who I picked as winner(and no matter which way I did it,click on or drop down),Player 1 was always picked as winner for that match.

•The last player(the details are fuzzy so bare with me) that I clicked as winner one way would be the winner of another match they weren`t in when I entered it the same way for a winner in a different match.

•If I had given one match a tie,it wouldn`t let me proceed to the next round.

•When I try to print "Round X" pairings,all it printed was "Round X" period.

Thankfully,when I tried a few weeks later when it came time to run my tournament,it amazingly had none of those problems except for the printing of the round pairings.I could live with that.The only difference I could determine was that I used actual #`s that I got for the players instead of using 0 as I did in my mock tournament.Maybe that was it,but who knows...I didn`t have to drop a player,so I don`t know if there is a problem in that for me.Maybe I`ll try it next week and see if that works.

As for the software itself,one thing I also don`t like is how it doesn`t give the actual places when people are tied with the same amount of points.It doesn`t take anything to deduce it on your own,but it would be nice to have a straight numbered placing instead of 1st,2nd,2nd,4th,4th,4th,7th,etc..

Overall,and being totally blunt,not too many people I`ve talked to are really thrilled with this software.The DCI software was heads above this stuff.Hopefully they will improve it.

`Sensei

Last edited: Nov 16, 2003
  5. killa_project

killa_project New Member

well all i know is the system was bad

6. ScythKing

ScythKing Member

Specifics

We had an even # of players so I expected no byes.
    Problem one - round one
    It would select a third player at random as the "winner" - no matter what I picked
    Problem 2 and the final straw:
    Tried to start a new round - it gave a 10- player a bye. A 15+ player that had won in round one was simply not listed and nothing I tried would get it to put him in the list. Not a bye - simply ignored. I suspect the problem lies in the age modified routines. In any case this was a show stopper - I can't just say oh well the computer said you get ignored this turn.
    As far as dropping a player. Most of teh time a player drops it is between rounds. This stuff makes you create the pairings witha new round - then you have to "split" the pairings - then select the player and drop them. Pretty stupid as it may result in a sub-optimal matchup if the player gets a bye - he may have been better paired with someone else. But I just think it is clunky and non-intuitive.

7. DaytonGymLeader

DaytonGymLeader New Member

Many of the software's functions are there, just not "visible"

Drops are done by Right Clicking on the player and selecting Drop. After a confirmation screen, you still must input the match winner (the software wasn't coded to make that leap I guess).

I can one-up you with a problem:

In Round 7 (the final round) today, the 2d Ranked Player in 11-14 GOT A BYE. After getting a bye, he DIDN'T GET 3 MATCH POINTS FOR THE BYE!

I've already got a 2 page punch list of problems we've encountered. It's going to be longer after tonite and tomorrow.

We are MUCH LESS than pleased with it.

8. old man

old man New Member

Until the problems are fixed you could do as I've been doing. Thats running Tournament Manager & DCI Reporter together. After the pairings are made, then I ordered pairings on Reporter.

9. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

We just used the DCI software at our tournament. But, I don't seem to remember there being any problems dropping players when we used the TM software at our Sandstorm Pre-release.

Yah, we made a decision to use the DCI software after we tested the TM software on Thursday and couldn't get it to print the pairings.

10. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

Guys, Guys, Guys! If you are using the DCI Reporter in a sanctioned tournament or premiere event, you could get into a great deal of trouble if somebody reports you using it. I also believe POP sent out an email to all Tournament Organizers explaining that everyone should cease use of the program owned by Wizards of the Coast.
    -Phil

11. ScythKing

ScythKing Member

The agreement prohibits running the tournaments with any other software.

12. bulbasnore

bulbasnore Administrator Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

How do I email Jimmer about the software?

Is he writing it?

'snore

13. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Just curious...are you allowed to use the old fashioned paper-and-pencil method for running a swiss tournament or is it MANDATORY to use the new software?

14. Rainbowgym

Rainbowgym Active Member

We did the tournament manual, i'm not installing copied software on any computer.
    The distributor gave us a copy af something, but i refuse to use copies.
    Also the copie arrived at 10.45 while we started 10.30, so no time to learn the program.

15. DaytonGymLeader

DaytonGymLeader New Member

Had another good one today. The same player gets a Bye TWICE in a side event! Maybe it knew that PsycoDad was the Prof Champion and needed a break ;)

16. ScythKing

ScythKing Member

Maybe found the problem

I had a player that I'd mis-spelled his name and redid it. Turns out the software doesn't edit - it makes a new player! With the same ID of course. The software does not check for duplicate ID's. I deleted this duplicate player (even though he wasn't in the tourney list) and the problems I had did not recur. the players are maintained in an Acess database in the Tournament Manager folder.
    My suggestion to everyone running this stuff is make sure you spell it right the first time and have a way to get it out of the database before running the tourney if you have a duplicate. they will show in the player list so you can spot any duplicates (that's what tipped me off when I tried to recreate the tournament from scratch on another machine). Too bad they have such poor editing and player management facilities or this would be simple to correct - or wouldn't have even happened in the first place.
    In any case it is strange that it would cause such bizarre problems.

17. old man

old man New Member

Some have misunderstood what I was trying to say. The tournament is ran using N's software. Reporter is used as a backup just in case!

18. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

I think they were saying that you can't use ANY other software in any case at any point.

19. babayaga

babayaga New Member

And of course I'll just point out again that Mac and Linux users are left out in the cold. Still. :(

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  20. Jeremy Badeaux

Jeremy Badeaux New Member

Another one bites the dust...
    Apparently(after looking at the global rankings), the person who won the Dragon Prerelease in Portland was lower ranked in global score than about five other people there (only among the people who only played in that one tourny for sanctioned sealed play).

I think the tournament manager software has more flaws than not(I wonder how rushed the makers were???).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.