Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Tournament Program Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

desert eagle

So there's 4 people at 2-1 and top 2 make cut.

My opponents were 2-1, 2-1, 1-2 for a 55.56 tiebreaker
One guy had his opponents at 2-1, 2-1, 0-3 for a (supposedly) 44.44 tiebreaker
and another guy had 3-0, 1-2, 0-3 for a 44.44 as well.
(Last guy had 2-1, 2-1, 1-2 as well)

But somehow, the computer glitches up and puts both the 2 guys who OBVIOUSLY had worse tiebreakers than me ahead of me, stating their tiebreakers as 55.56 instead of 44.44

The error seems to be the computer messing up and counting the 0-3 person as a 1-2 somehow even though the person's record is stated as 0-3. This makes no sense and I feel I was ABSOLUTELY ROBBED of my rightful chance to win that tourney.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? And can I receive any compensation for this because I have the proof and I can just scan it if anyone wants to see it because this is absolutely ridiculous.
If this is a problem with the new TOM system, then it needs to be fixed IMMEDIATELY as this is unacceptable.

Minimum tiebreakers if I remember correctly is minimum 33% for ALL players no matter their score, so maybe that explains a bit what happened?

Well if that's the case, its still ridiculously unfair that people can get a win off someone who is playing their first tourney ever (hence the 0-3) and manage to get in on tiebreaks because the system counts that person as a 1-2 instead of a 0-3, especially in a tournament with only 3 rounds.

The amount of whining because a person has a 33% tie breaker and caused a 4 way tie is nothing compared to the whining before of the effect of a player dropping and killing your percentage. It can't go both ways.

So its either you miss a Top 32 cut at nats because 2 of your opponnents 0-3 dropped or you didnt win 8 boosters at a Battle Road? I'd personally rather avoid the first one.

Well, I'd say maybe you should advertise more to get your attendance a bit higher than 8 people per age group. That way you'll have more rounds! I seriously can't figure why you'd be so upset over winning (or losing at) such a dinky little event. Ratings points for such a tournament must be piddly. Let's get a bit more upset over bigger problems than that shall we?

ugh, our BR had a better complaint. 1 player who went 3-0 played "down" the 2nd and 3rd round.
EVERYBODY was complaining about that. I told em, the pairing goes by rank and then by division. Its just unlucky that this individual had to play down 2 times.

ugh, our BR had a better complaint. 1 player who went 3-0 played "down" the 2nd and 3rd round.
EVERYBODY was complaining about that. I told em, the pairing goes by rank and then by division. Its just unlucky that this individual had to play down 2 times.

With what letter (A or B or C) does that persons last name start?
It looked last season you will always be the one paired down if you are first in alfabetic order, which is not correct.

Something should be in the software saying if XX is paired down already take the next player no matter of record.

okay here are the changes from 1.25 to 1.26

Tournament Operations Manager, TOM, version 1.26....You MUST upgrade before running a Premier Event. If you do not, then your event could be canceled. Here is the list of changes/fixes that were made.
  • Changed the minimum number of players required before the tournament changes from age-modified to age-separated (podded) to six (6). Eight is still the minimum total number of players needed to run a sanctioned tournament.
  • Updated TOM so that past tournaments will open correctly with the correct age divisions, etc.
  • Updated the re-pairing process, so only the minimum number of matches are broken and/or re-table numbered to minimize moving players.
  • If the tournament is age modified, then the age division each player is now shown on the match slips and pairings reports.
  • You can now drop/disqualify players after the last round of Swiss ends and during the Single Elimination Finals of a tournament.
  • Updated the order that the slips show up in the Match slips report to ease cutting after printed. Start from the bottom of the page and cut up towards the top.
  • Fixed some errors that occurred when changing players' birth dates so they moved age divisions.
  • The Swiss pairing algorithm didn't follow the operating procedures. I've updated it so that players are paired by category, then match record. If there are very players in one age group compared to the others, then the pairings will become less "correct" towards the end of the tournament.
  • The "All" section in the Standings report for an age modified tournament was using the age group. It's been updated so that the age division is no longer a factor, only match record and the tie breakers.
  • Fixed the standings (which now take longer to calculate), so that the program doesn't crash in a certain situation.
  • Choosing a winner or loser using the context menu (right-clicking) now works in the previous round. The other methods of choosing a winner/loser have worked in past versions.
  • Players who are added to the tournament sequentially tend to play each other in the first round. This has been addressed by randomizing the list of players many times before pairing.
  • Made the tie breakers much more accurate. Before there was a possibility of a rounding error changing the standings in an incorrect way. For example, now everyone with a 55.56% Opponent's Win Percentage will be tied on that tie breaker, instead of 1 or more being at 55.55%.
  • The head-to-head tie breaker doesn't use future rounds anymore. In previous versions, if, in a completed tournament, you looked at the standings for round 1, it was possible that a head to head tie breaker will be used for two players who played each other after round 1. This is now fixed.
  • Since registration can sometimes take a while, when you are in Step 2 (adding players), the tournament file will now be automatically saved every X minutes, where X is defined in your profile.
Thanks,
webmaster

And compare to this
The Swiss pairing algorithm didn't follow the operating procedures. I've updated it so that players are paired by category, then match record. If there are very players in one age group compared to the others, then the pairings will become less "correct" towards the end of the tournament.

Did you run the correct version of TOM?
Because in my opinion the players with the worst record should be paired out.
If TOM really pairs inside the agegroup first that is. just to avoid what we have seen to many times last season, people winning/loosing tournaments because they were paired out multiple times in 1 tournament.(with enough players in their own division)

I am really starting to worry again, reading BR reports.
How can someone in Masters going 1-1 being paired down in the 3rd round of a 5 round tournament?
Unless the 5 rounds were based on SR attendance (which I don't believe) the downpairing should have been someone going 0-2.

Last edited:
I've been to 2 BRs so far, and in both of them, a senior player (who was born in 1992) was put into masters, even though he was correctly registered for the seniors. Is this a software glitch or what?

I've been to 2 BRs so far, and in both of them, a senior player (who was born in 1992) was put into masters, even though he was correctly registered for the seniors. Is this a software glitch or what?

You stay in the same division for the entire season, ergo, you "age up" in September, not your actual b-day! 1992 = Master now.

Keith

A 33% minimum is soooo much better than 0%. That's exactly how a very mature tiebreaker system (DCI) works. It's nice to see that POP sees the wisdom in that.

This balances the randomness of playing a weak opponents. You're rewarded for playing stronger opponents, and you're not hurt for playing weak opponents (or players who drop out).

If you didn't make the playoffs, the second tiebreaker (opp-opp win percentage) was what kept you out, or maybe head-to-head, or an early round loss.

I'm not sure exactly what was going on, but I know there was a similar issue at our BR. Two 4-1 players didn't make the cut even though one seemed to have higher resistance than somebody who did make it.

Tournament Operations Manager software does not works

Do any one know why the software doesn't works on my laptop.

Las CC i was 1-0 and i was downpaired then when i was 2-0 i was downpaired again

@Lia Jep sceond name has a B

Please do not revive threads that are over two weeks old. This one is over two years old.

If you have a problem with TOM, the appropriate place to ask for help is on the Organized Play forums, or [email protected].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back