Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Trainer Town Volunteers

Tahna

I was browsing through the Compendium EX when I saw this question.

Q. With Energy Recycle System, do you have to shuffle 3 energies in or can you do only 2? Or what happens if you only have 2 in your discard pile; can you shuffle the two in or not? The card doesnt say "up to" like some other cards do.
A. Well, since it does not say "up to", it's either shuffle in exactly 3 Basic energies or you can put 1 Basic energy into your hand. If you only have 2 Basic energies in the discard pile, then 1 to your hand is the only option available. (Jan 22, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Following my logic, would this mean that you could not use Town Volunteers if you had less than 5 basic energy cards and/or Pokémon in your discard pile at the time you played Town Volunteers?
Or was this ruling based on the fact that Energy Recycle System gave you another possibility on the card itself (ie gettting one card into your hand instead of shuffling two -whereas the number stated is three- back into your deck)?

Secondly, are you allowed to play Energy Recycle System if you have no basic energy cards in your discard pile?

Tahna

Your logic is correct; don't forget to consult the old "classic" Compendium for rulings on older sets produced by WOTC. Here's the relevant excerpt:
== TOWN VOLUNTEERS (Aquapolis Expansion)

Q. Do you HAVE to pick out exactly 5 cards for Town Volunteers, or can it be UP to 5 or nothing at all?
A. Yup, it works like Time Capsule did. If you have 5 you MUST choose 5, if you have less than 5 you can still play it and choose all of what you do have. You can't CHOOSE to pull less than 5 if you have that many. (Jan 30, 2003 WotC Chat, Q743 & Q774)

Second, I don't believe you are allowed to play it if you do not have any basic energy in the discard pile. There isn't a specific ruling for that (yet), so I'll keep an eye out for similar examples and if I don't find any precedents I'll bring it up at the next Rules Team Meeting.

Thanks,
- CHRISBO

Back