Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Trying to return with Houndoom

Hound00m

Afternoon, someone!

I'm interested in returning to the magical world of Pokemon TCG and have absolutely NO idea where to start outside of knowing I want to run a Houndoom-centered deck. I've been playing YGO and MTG for a while and while I still wholly love YGO, Magic has gotten somewhat boring and repetitive to me. So I figured I'd return to Pokemon and see what's what.

I need all the help I can possibly get with building a deck so anything would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome back!

The two biggest questions that you need to ask yourself is:
1. How competitive do you want to be?
2. How much money do you want to spend?

The world of Pokemon TCG is very interesting, and there are many different ways to play. But, there are some "staple" cards that all decks need to run.

1. Trainer's Mail - $4 (TCGPlayer.com)
2. VS Seeker - $4 (TCGPlayer.com) - which I am surprised they're that low right now
3. Professor Sycamore - $1 (TCGPlayer.com)
4. Professor Birch - $.25 (TCGPlayer.com)
5. Lysandre - $1 (TCGPlayer.com)
6. N - $4 (TCGPlayer.com)

There are more expensive cards, like Shaymin-EX with the ability Set Up that cost $80 roughly that are usually in more competitive decks.

Also, what is your favorite Pokemon? Maybe do a little research into some competitive decks and see what you might like that is out there? There are all sorts of playing styles! Let me know what you're thinking of once you take a look around and we can go from there.

Last edited:
These are excellent to start with - thank you!

I want to build a Houndoom-based deck, I love dark/fire typing but he is my all-time favorite so wherever I can go from there is fine; as far as levels of competition, I suppose I'd like to start semi-competitive, I don't know many people who play in my area or tournaments or anything so I suppose it's best I ease into the scene, again.

These are cards I would look at if you want to build a Houndoom deck:

Houndoom-EX
M Houndoom-EX
Volcanion-EX
Volcanion (attack Power Heater)

Houndoom is not super heavy on damage unless you are getting rid of energy, so having Volcanion with Power Heater will benefit you a lot, because it lets you get energy back from your discard pile. Volcanion-EX lets you discard a fire energy to do extra damage. So if you have 2 Volcanion-EX on the bench you are doing 80+30+30=140 (without getting rid of energy, if you get rid of energy you will be doing 160+30+30=220). Most Meta Game Pokemon will have between 180-220 health. And, if worse comes to worse, you can attack with Volcanion-EX.

You will definitely want to get Float Stone. Float Stone will make it so you can retreat your Pokemon for free. This will be huge if you have to attack with Volcanion-EX, since it can only attack every-other turn. Switch and Escape Rope will benefit you also, since it allows you to free-retreat your Pokemon.

As for "Stadium Wars", Parallel City is the most popular stadium right now. It knocks down either your bench or your opponents bench to 3 cards. This can be helpful to you either way, depending on if you want to get rid of cards you won't use as often. You will also want to get 4 Ultra Balls in order to make sure that you can get to your Pokemon - especially Hoopa-EX. And you will want to get as many Spirit Links for as many Houndoom as you plan on running in your deck. Personally, I would only do 2-2 line or 3-3 line max.

Hoopa-EX will also be a card you want to invest in. And if you aren't looking to buy Shaymin-EX right now, I suggest getting two Hoopa-EX. Hoopa-EX lets you get three EX Pokemon from your deck and put them into your hand. This will help with your build up of Houndoom.

Since you are going to be getting rid of a lot of energy, I also recommend getting a Super Rod. Super Rod lets you get 3 Pokemon OR Basic Energy (and you can mix that up) and put them back into your deck. Once the new set Evolutions comes out, you will want to get a card called Brock's Guts. It lets you get 6 Pokemon or Basic Energy and put them into your deck. Professors' Letter will be helpful, since it allows you to get two basic Energy from your deck and put them into your hand. I also recommend getting a card called Max Elixir, which allows you to look at the top 6 cards of your deck and, if you find an energy there, place it onto one of your basic Pokemon on the bench.

I know this is probably really confusing since you are just getting back into it, but if you need any more help just let me know! I can try to help you build somewhat of a deck list. You will want to be heavier than most on energy since you are getting rid of so much.

So... I was laying in bed last night and I realized something I had forgotten... Volcanion-EX only works towards basic Pokemon, so it wouldn't help M Houndoom-EX at all. I'll have to think of a new strategy for Houndoom, so you can send me a PM if you want to discuss ideas further!

Since you're talking about cards and since this post does not follow the Deck Help forum rules i'll move this to a more appropriate forum.

Your other option with Houndoom EX is to run a mill deck and try to win by having your opponent run out of cards. Run it with Team Rocket's Handiwork and plenty of disruption cards like crushing and enhanced hammers to keep your enemy unable to attack while you strip cards away.

Back