Turn 1 Omastar is it possible?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by ukpokemonpro, Jan 25, 2004.

1. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

Okay here is the scenario and does this work given the rulings on evolving first turn?

I dump Omanyte (skyridge) from my hand on my first turn to TV reporter and then play Underground Lake (skyridge) I put Omanyte into play using Underground lake place an energy on Omanyte and attack using Water if Evolution does this work and let me play Omastar from my hand evolving Omanyte into Omastar on the first turn! If not then we have just negated a pokemons attack not errata'ed it's PokePower/Body!

Obviously the cards indicate that this is a done deal but in light of the recent rulings I just want some confirmation that this will work?

I await the debate with interest....

2. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

Hmmm I would think the sentence, "This counts as evolving omanyte" would not allow first turn playing of it. Because we all know you cannot evolve on the first turn, and thus doing this counts as evolving on your first turn. I would say it wouldn't work. But I would wait and see what the people here that talk with nintendo have to say about it.

3. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

We were thinking of tackling this scenario a few weeks ago, but figured that we'd wait for someone to bring it up...

Ah well, had to take it on eventually. :p

4. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Thats fence sitting you are doing Pop!

I'd like the card to win. But its not like Giovani that specifically states that you can evolve on the first turn. PUI made a big noise about the 'NOTHING EVOLVES ON THE FIRST TURN' rule so I suspect you can't use water of evolution this way.

If you are playing the particular Omastar deck that UkPokemonPro has in mind then you can guarantee having the cards in hand to satisfy Water Of Evolution first turn.

5. Shdwchu

Shdwchu New Member

I always thought that the evolving part was always In between turns like Star piece...

6. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

No you complete the attack and everything else that the attack does BEFORE your turn ends. Its in the rulebook.

7. Adv1sor

Adv1sor New Member

It's early so I may not be thinking clearly, but what is the point of Omanyte's attack if it just lets you evolve from the stage one to the stage two? I mean you have to have the Omastar in your hand. Someone enlighten me please?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2004
  8. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

It's about having the 110 HP stage 2 active in your opponents next turn (maybe their turn 1 or turn 2) and ready to soak up the hits..

It's also a neat trick and a real mind game on your opponent suddenly left facing a big brute after your fist turn .... and with the advent of Double Rainbow ;)

+20-10=+10 I'll have some of that :)

9. Freddy K.

Freddy K. New Member

I want to know the answer to this one pretty quickly - 'pro made me a lil' nervous playing about with an Omanyte or two this weekend...

~fK

10. professorbix

professorbix New Member

from what i remember about en evolution question from a little while ago, it was stated:"....no evolutions played first turn period!"

11. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

That's the whole point the card is not played from my hand but placed from it via the attack!

This is an important precedent again and I hope we see a better result than with Rare Candy ?

12. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Magic 8 Ball says.... "Don't count on it"

13. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

Doesn't your 8 Ball usually say this:

http://pokewatch.nick15.com/photos/8ball.jpg

Anyway,

" We were thinking of tackling this scenario a few weeks ago, but figured that we'd wait for someone to bring it up..."

Wouldn't it just be easier to ask these questions as soon as you think of them? That would reduce off-the-cuff rulings.

14. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Not when it's reached 1:30 in the morning....

These rulings chats don't last a mere hour...

15. Chrisbo

Chrisbo Administrator

Actually, this is one of the questions we tackled a few weeks ago (before GenCon-Anaheim). We could not come to a consensus and is one of the questions we are still waiting on Japan to provide an authoritative answer.

::shake, shake, shake::
    Hmm, my Magic 8-Ball says, "Try again later". Drat, that's the same thing it says to me every week!! :rolleyes: / :p

Sigh, :(
    - CHRISBO

Last edited: Jan 26, 2004
  16. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

I must have blacked out toward the end of that meeting...

17. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

I wonder what the magic e-reader says ?

18. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

I know I know ;)

19. dkates

dkates New Member

Theoretically, if you could find a way to get an Omanyte on the bench with 2 damage counters, with Star Piece attached, you could have an Omastar at the beginning of your second turn. Unfortunately, I can't think of any Modified-legal way to do that.

20. SwampertEX

SwampertEX New Member

Are we forgetting about Gardevoir???;) lol Not that that'd make a good deck but... :rolleyes:
    -SwampertEX