TV Reporter vs. Bill's Maintenance

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by dkates, Feb 10, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. dkates

dkates New Member

It seems to me that TV Reporter is showing up in a lot of decks lately, while Bill's Maintenance wasn't showing up much even before TV Reporter came out. I'm wondering why this is, considering how similar the two cards are. I've listed what similarities and differences I can see between them below. Personally, from looking at the two cards, it seems to me that they are pretty much equally useful and powerful.

Similarities:
    • Both are Supporter cards.
    • Both get you three cards from your deck.
    • Both have you give up a card from your hand in some way.
    Differences:
    • Bill's Maintenance shuffles your deck before you draw your cards; TV Reporter does not.
    • The sacrificed card from TV Reporter is discarded; the sacrificed card from Bill's Maintenance returns to the deck.
    • Bill's Maintenance has you give up your card before you draw your three new cards; TV Reporter has you give it up afterwards.
    • Bill's Maintenance requires you to have a card in your hand to give up before you play the card; TV Reporter gives you the option of giving up one of the three cards you draw or one that was already in your hand.
    • Bill's Maintenance decreases your overall deck size by 2, TV Reporter decreases it by 3.

So, which card is really more useful, and why? Personally, I don't have any TV Reporters, but I do feel that in general, Bill's Maintenance is every bit as useful as TV Reporter. Of course, there are certain deck strategies which will give one or the other an advantage, so the choice would depend partially on the deck strategy.

I invite anyone here who plays E-on to tell whether they favor one or the other and give reasons. Hopefully, I don't have to remind you not to let this become a poll.

2. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

There are your asnwers. Reporter can be used if it is the only card in hand, it doesn't shuffle (important if you PokeNav or Oracle last turn), and you don't have to worry about sacrificing a good card for a crummy one since it discards after the draw. A mixed blessing is the discard-there are some decks that can make good use of that effect.

As for their use, I am seing mroe people using both. They have found that with shrinking hand sizes, Copycat gets little now, and while that makes POR a bit better, its no Elm/Eeeeeeek. Note you need both the Elm and the Eeeeeeeeek, cuase on its own, POR is better than ELm. ALso, we lost things like Breeder Fields, which I know speed up a lot of my evo decks in Neon modified. So, long story short, it works better to use the two of them to thin decks and get the whole basic+ rare candy + stage 2 thing going.

3. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Hey Otaku, hand sizes ain't shrinking.

4. registeel

registeel New Member

Yeah I think that TV Reporter is better because you can draw 3 then discard a card so you have more cards to choose from to discard. Also TV Reporter doesn't shuffle so if you just used somthing like Oracle or Pokenav and you won't be wasting that card so in my opinion TV Reporter is better. :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  5. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

Obviously, TV Reporter is better for decks that rely upon energy cards being in the discard pile. But, there are OTHER reasons why it's better than Bill's Maintenance, the main one being:

1. It cleans your deck/hand of cards that are no longer necessary, thereby allowing you to get to your more-important cards sooner. For example, you don't need Pokemon search cards (ie., Fan Club, Lanette, Masterball, Dunsparce) if you're set up already.

2. Also, with Bill's Maintenance, there's a possibility that you might redraw the same card you shuffled in, thereby only getting 2 new cards instead of three.

Nevertheless, if your deck is highly efficient (few or no cards are considered trashable), Bill's Maintenance is usually better. For example, you don't need Town Volunteers or other recycle cards until later in the game, so it's best to shuffle them back into your deck (and hope not to redraw them).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  6. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Have we played before? If so, how much? My hand rarely gets big early game in modified. Late game, when everythings set up, yeah, it starts to grow. Early? I usually get down to 2-4. As do most people I play. I have records, if you'd like to see them. Or are you calling me a liar? I mean, I made a statement about an observation of mine. Now, if it does not hold upon your area, fine. I should have probably specified I was basing that upon my meteagame.

7. Misdreavus

Misdreavus Member

I prefer Bill's Maintenance except in decks like Blaziken... putting the card back is usually better than discarding it IMO.

8. Dek

Dek New Member

whats great about TV Reporter is that you can "bend" the new rulings of the card game. According to other posts, POP made a new ruling that you cannot discard a card for no apparent reason (like "using" a Rare candy, even though you have no evolutions in your hand. basically, the main idea was to just discard it.) With TV reporter, people can draw 3 new cards as well as get rid of cards that they dont want.

9. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Athras Zero is right-most people have a bit of redunancey in their decks-I really need to only get one or two Steelix up for my deck, so I can chuck extras in the discard. Plus, does anyone not run Town Volunteers? One Volunteers covers discards for 4 TV Reporters.

10. WaRrIoR04

WaRrIoR04 New Member

plus guys dont forget its a must in a blaziken deck to get fire in the grave blaziken is the most popular deck period right now

11. dkates

dkates New Member

Well, I'm not going to deny that many different decks give TV Reporter a distinct advantage over Bill's Maintenance. However, in many cases when I play, I'll have at least a few cases where I have a card in my hand that I don't need at that point, but will probably need later (such as Town Volunteers). I'd say this gives Bill's Maintenance a small advantage over TV Reporter in those cases. Overall, though, I am beginning to agree that TV Reporter is slightly better than Bill's Maintenance in general, although it may just mean my deckbuilding skills still need a little work. Still, I do think Bill's Maintenance is a useful card that is possibly being overlooked in E-on.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  12. Psyduck

Psyduck New Member

Now maybe I missed it in a post above, but think about this....

You're playing an extremely close game, both you and you opponent have only 1 prize left...blah blah blah...you have no cards in your hand and you top-deck a Bill's Maintenance, it is now your opponents turn and YOU LOSE!!! Your next card was a Cyclone Energy and you could have attached it to your active and won...or something like that. If you would have drawn a TV Reporter, you would have won...

Everyone has been in a game when you topdeck, but that's just one instance. I think Venusaur and Arthas make the best points though.

Duck
    :D

13. Bigpoppabeatdown

Bigpoppabeatdown New Member

yeah for those who don't play kitty, reporter is the next best thing along with oracle.........

14. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Hey Warrior04, Reporter sending F nrg to the discard isn't the reason people play Reporter. If they wanted to discard energy, they'd play Juggler. Juggler gives you two drawing options instead of just one, 1 for 3, or 2 for 5. The reason they play Reporter is because you draw the cards first, then discard. What if you have a good hand and don't want to shuffle something back with Bill's Maintenence? Then use Reporter. Draw the cards, then discard. That's why TV Reporter is better. True, is sends fire to the discard, but it isn't the only reason.