Tweaking a Water/Steel deck

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Drybones0, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drybones0

Drybones0 New Member

I recently got back into the game and my old Water/Fighting deck just doesn't cut it compared to the new cards. So I built a new one around the same basic idea of the last. Here is the card list in the deck. Any advice is appreciated.

MagiCarp x2 (mysterious treasures)
    Gyarados (mysterious treasures)
    Buizel x3 (Mysterious treasures)
    Feraligator (Mysterious Treasures)
    Croconaw x2 (mysterious treasures)
    Totodile x3 (mysterious treasures)
    Bronzor x2 (mysterious treasures)
    Bronzong (mystersious treasures)
    Bastiodon (mysterious treasures)
    shieldon x2 (mysterious treasures)
    Armor Fossil x3
    Fossil excavator x2
    Potion x2
    Super potion
    Energy removal x3
    Super Energy removal x2
    Energy Search x2
    Bebe's Search x2
    Double Colorless energy
    Water Energy x14
    Steel Energy x7
    Metal Energy x2
    Rainbow Energy

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. tglilly

tglilly New Member

What is the strategy for this deck??

3. Drybones0

Drybones0 New Member

Using the energy removals to keep my oppenents pokemon from powering up while I gather my heavy hitters.

4. olliver4446

olliver4446 New Member

what hevey hitters (not trying to sound rude)

5. Dunsparce Fan 206

Dunsparce Fan 206 New Member

Hey welcome to the forums Drybones! Ok, first of all, your deck looks pretty good, except that there are way too many pokemon lines and not enough multiples. Also, with nearly any stage 2 line you will want to use Rare Candy, which is basically what has replaced Pokemon Breeder (btw, how long ago did you quit?.) The last thing I see is that you have way too many energies. In today's game, you should only have 14 to 20 energy cards in your deck. So, with all these things in mind, here is how I would re-shape this deck:

4 Totodile MT
    2 Crocnaw MT
    4 Feraligatr MT
    2 Buizel DP (diamond and pearl)
    2 Floatzel DP
    3 Bronzor
    3 Bronzong

3 Energy Removal
    2 Super Energy Removal
    3 Celio's Network (good card to search for evolution cards)
    3 Holon Mentor (good searcher for basics- great ball works well too)
    3 Gold Berry (you probably know this one- it's basically the best healing card out there)
    2 Bill
    2 Glacia's Stadium
    2 Comp. Search
    1/1 Prof. Oak/Prof. Elm

9 Water Energy
    4 Special Metal Energy
    2 Basic Metal Energy
    3 Double Rainbow Energy (found in Team Magma/Aqua and Crystal Guardians and another one I forgot)

This isn't a perfect list, but hopefully it'll help. Some good alternatives to the Feraligatr line are Empoleon (DP) and Walrein (MT.) If you use Empoleon, try to fit in some scramble energy.

One more thing, you may already know this, but if you don't, there are now 2 main 'formats' in Pokemon TCG. The most commonly played one is modified, which only uses the newest cards (right now it's holon phanoms and newer.) The other one, which this deck is legal in, is unlimited, where you can basically use any card.

Hope I helped!

6. Drybones0

Drybones0 New Member

To answer your question, about 7 years ago. The last set I bought for tourney play was Gym Leader.

Thats a nice help actaully. Sadly I doubt I can get any of those rare cards.

7. Dunsparce Fan 206

Actually, if you look in the right places online, rares can be pretty cheap (even $1.00 for a holo sometimes.) The only thing is that popular cards like empoleon and lucario are usually a lot more, but popular does not mean best.
    Anyway, here are some pretty good non-rare pokemon that you can get for your deck fairly cheaply:
    Seaking (DP)
    Octillery (MT)
    Glalie (Power Keepers)
    Azumarill (Sand Storm)
    Gyarados (Dragon) -make sure to use plenty of DCE (double colorless energy) with this one.
    Glalie (Hidden Legends)

There are also some good ones in the new set, Secret Wonders, which isn't quite out yet. Again, hope my help is, well, helpful.

8. DarthPika

DarthPika New Member

I really hope you didn't type the whole thing out. You can abrivate mysterious treasures to MT.

Not to be mean, but this list is a mess. You have way to many different pkmn lines, and no synergy between them.

I noticed the Gatr line, is it your main attacker? If you would like a good Gatr deck you could use Hurricane. That would be a LOT easier than trying to build a deck on your own, which can be really hard.

9. Drybones0

Drybones0 New Member

Well I did get a couple certain Pokemon via ebay. Feraligatr, Bronzong, and another aggron. (I have 2 now) I want to have 2 sets of level 2 pokemon, and then 2 sets of level 1 pokemon.
    Those being Feraligatr, Floatzel, Bronzong, and Aggron.

I really just need advice for trainers cause I would like this to be legal eventually. Good replacments for the energy removals would be great. I imagine rare candies would do nicely to get the stage 2 pokemon off the ground. And some double rainbow.

I will take a look at that Hurricane deck though.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  10. Drybones0

Drybones0 New Member

I changed my Pokemon and trainer list a bit, I am looking for comments on them. The main thing I am wondering is if I should throw in some colorless pokemon. The idea behind the deck is to keep my energy off the defending pokemon while I get my stronger ones.

22 Pokemon

4-3-4 Feraligatr (MT)
    3 Buizel (MT)
    2 Floatzel (Dp)
    3-3 Bronzong (MT)

17 Trainers

Pokemon Breeder
    3 Energy Removal
    2 Super Energy Removal
    Potion
    Super Potion
    Prof. Elm
    Energy Retrieval
    Energy Restore
    2 Energy Search
    2 Galactic Mars
    2 Bebe's Search

10 Water Energy
    8 Steel
    3 Double Colorless

11. Darkwalker

Darkwalker New Member

There are no really useful energy removal cards in modified that can compete with the older ones you are using. Energy Removal 2 is the closest thing and it only removes 1 energy on a flip. Other cards that are similar to the older ones you are using are as follows:

Double Colorless ---> Boost Energy or Double Rainbow Energy
    Super Potion ---> regular Potion or Buffer Piece (not too much in the way of healing in the curent format)
    Pokemon Breeder ---> Rare Candy
    Prof Elm --->Prof. Oak's Research, Prof Rowan, Copycat

Oh, and you are limited to 4 Special Metal Energy in a deck, but you can use as many basic Metal as you need. Also, while Energy Search is still a legal modified card there are many better cards to help you search for energy out of your deck. Roseanne's Research in the current set being one of the better ones.

12. Dunsparce Fan 206

Other good energy searchers are Castaway, Smeargle (SW), and maybe Smoochum d (DF). By the way, since you have so many Feraligatr in this deck, you may want to run a deck based on taking advantage of his first attack, which is a pretty popular strategy in the format right now. Here is my list (for modified):

Pokemon (20):
    4 Totodile (MT)
    2 Crocnaw (MT)
    4 Feraligatr (MT)
    2 Skitty (CG)
    2 Delicatty (CG)
    1 Magnemite (PK)
    1 Magneton (PK) (if you don’t want it to get prized take out 2 Smeargle for another 1-1)
    4 Smeargle (SW)

Trainers (25):
    4 Roseanne’s Research
    3 Celio’s Network
    3 Rare Candy
    2 Glacia’s Stadium (Anti-L tech. You could use one if you need room.)
    2 Steven’s Advice
    2 Night Maintenance (Some like to use Suicune SW instead of this)
    2 Professor Oak’s Visit
    2 Windstorm
    2 Castaway
    1 Strength Charm
    1 Mysterious Shard (Anti-EX tech)
    2 Warp Point and/or Switch (I use 1 of each)
    1 Great Ball

This is probably the best way to go with Feraligatr. If you still want to use Bronzong, keep in mind that it also goes well as a secondary attacker/ benchwarmer in a Nidoqueen d (DF) and Magnezone (DP) deck. Floatzel is best in an unlimited rain dance deck (which you probably remember uses Blastoise from Base Set.)

Hope those strategies give you some ideas but otherwise the deck as it is (once you get more new trainers) is looking pretty good.

13. Drybones0

Drybones0 New Member

I should have posted this sooner but my internet has been out. Anyway. I took a lot of peoples advice and have gone over my deck. It did very well at my local League only losing to a deck that had type advantage. (before I had my Glacias Gym)

Anyway

4-3-4 Feraligatr (MT)
    3 Buizel (MT)
    2 Floatzel (Dp)
    3-3 Bronzong (MT)

2 Switch
    2 Galactic Mars
    2 Rosannes Research
    1 Energy Restore
    3 Oaks Visit
    2 Energy Search
    2 Rare Candy
    2 Potion
    2 Glacia's Gym
    2 Multi Energy (should get double rainbow this saturday)

I am still wondering if I should put in some colorless pokemon... I recently got a Delcatty EX. And if I ever get my binder I can get some of my other good colorless pokemon...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.