Tyranitar [IFDS] & Alakazam [MT]

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Chazman, Aug 10, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Chazman

Chazman New Member

I have no idea if anyone has thought of this before, but the idea is pretty simple.

Tyranitar LV.61 – Darkness – HP140
    Stage 2 – Evolves from Pupitar

Poke-Body: Dark Fighting Spirit
    Whenever one of your opponent’s Pokemon uses a Poke-Power, after the effect resolves, search your discard pile for 1 Basic Darkness Energy card and attach it to this Pokemon.

[C][C] Grind: Does 20 damage x the number of Energy attached to Tyranitar.

[D][D][D][D][D] Spinning Tail: Does 30 damage to each of your opponent’s Pokemon.

Weakness: Fighting (+30)
    Resistance: Psychic (-20)
    Retreat: 4

I assume you know what Alakazam does.
    Pretty much, they try to use their Poke-Power, you stop it with Alakazam's Power Cancel, discarding at least 1 Basic Darkness Energy, and because the Power still counts as used after Power Cancel, you get back the energy you discarded with it with Tyranitars Body.

Umm.

I don't have any ideas for deck lists or anything, i'll leave all that to you guys, but I thought the actual combo between the two was quite amazing.

Thoughts?
    Oh, and if someone feels like testing this, please post your list and results with it.

Chazman.

2. Blaziken 1111

Blaziken 1111 Active Member

Probaly not because by the time you get alakazam and set up it would of been too late for alazazam.

3. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

I disagree. You can get Alakazam up in one turn with rare candy (well, you must use rare candy most of the time).

But can you say you will always have 2-4 dark in your hand to discard every turn, because the opponent is going to be using Claydol every turn.

4. Black Mamba

Black Mamba New Member

why would they use powers at all if you had a zam and a ttar out? IMO that would be very obvious and very easy to play around.

5. Burninating_Torchic

Burninating_Torchic New Member

A LOT of decks RELY on powers.
    That's not something you can just play around.
    The thing is, Alakazam can only be used once per turn, so if they've got 2+ guys with powers out (very likely), they're going to use all their powers and hope you cancel the wrong one.

Also, are you positive that ttar's body still works if you power cancel? You might want to get that checked up on.

6. mrdraz07

mrdraz07 New Member

The power counts as being used, so I would think that Alakazam basically replaces the effect of the power with "This PokePower does nothing." Or something like that. It's definitely an interesting interaction.

But, it's too slow. You want Ttar out ASAP to take advantage of your opp's Claydol, so you would be better off using stuff like Munchlax and Unown ? to start dumping that energy on the first turn. IFDS Sableye finding a Felicity's would be even better.

7. The Phenom1993

The Phenom1993 New Member

IMO it's not a good idea. If you see ypou have Alakazam out they might use the power so you cancel it and have to discard cards. That could cripple you because you either ruin your setup or your opponent's.

But if they see you have both kazam and ttar they surley won't use any powers, because they will only be powering up your t-tar. They will only use it if they will surley KO your ttar or if they are in a really bad state.

Then there are certain powers(like Electivire's DP) that can be used as often as you like. It wouldn't make much sense to stop that power unless you desperatley need cards in your discard pile.

8. Dr. Mason

Dr. Mason New Member

I don't think it will work. It says' after the effect resolves', and if you use Power Cancel, the effect never happens.

9. Chazman

Chazman New Member

I got a ruling, and Tyranitar's Body still comes into effect after Power-Cancel.
    I'm still pretty psyched about this deck, and was just wondering about a starter.
    First thoughts was Furret to get everything in play quickly, but I've recently realised Weavile could be a good start also, to charge up T-Tar's second attack.

So which do you think would be best?
    Or is there anything else that bests both?

Chazman.

10. mrdraz07

mrdraz07 New Member

You could use the Sableye from the same set to copy Felicity's turn 1. If they get an early Claydol you have a huge advantage.

11. supertyranitar

supertyranitar New Member

I wish Alakazam had Kadabra by it's side to be used, then I could see this deck being used. What makes this deck so hard to run is that you have to use up your Candies just to pull out a Zam. It's a possible deck, but I think T-Tar/Claydol is the way to go, with a couple techs...such as Lunatone to throw away the darkness to the discard.

12. (TYranitarFReak)

(TYranitarFReak) New Member

Well, any player with IQ of any positive integer will stop using power or at least not use it everyturn for you to charge up tyran.

IMO tyrant should be played in a spread deck or with energy-charge pokemons.

13. Zathaz

Zathaz New Member

Use Darkrai with it.