Tyranitar's stampede

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by YoungJohn06, Oct 28, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungJohn06

YoungJohn06 New Member

I've fixed this thing up a bit, but there might be something I've missed. Here's the decklist.

Pokemon: 17

4 Larvitar (Ex)
    4 Pupitar (AQ)
    3 Tyranitar (Ex)
    2 Solrock
    2 Lunatone
    2 Dunsparce

Trainers: 29

4 Professor Oaks Research
    4 Oran Berry
    3 Professor Birch
    3 Energy Removal 2
    3 Desert Shaman
    2 Switch
    2 Town Volunteers
    2 Forest Gaurdian
    2 Professor Elms Training Method
    2 Copycat
    2 Power Charge

Energy: 14

4 Darkness Energy
    4 Fighting Energy
    3 Boost Energy
    3 Psychic Energy

This deck is pretty solid. It can consistently beat Gardevoir... between the 30 resistance and having 120HP and dealing if you have 2 dark on it and 2 others... 70 damage on tails and 80 on heads plus 10 to all bench it's quite strong against Gardevoir.

The only decks I think it'd have the hardest time with, Slaking and Aggron EX... however Slaking will die to Solrock and Solrock and Tyranitar can be quite strong against Aggron still. Solrock can, if I have lunatone, become fire and do 80 to aggron for 3.. but if the's got 4 metal it'll only do 40 but it's not *that* bad.

Fixes/comments welcome. :)

2. ShadowCacnea

ShadowCacnea New Member

Good deck, though you might want to try with one AQ Tyranitar. Looks like it'll run very smoothly.

3. YoungJohn06

YoungJohn06 New Member

4. YoungJohn06

YoungJohn06 New Member

I might do that... it'd be a good counter for Slaking. Though I don't know what to take out for it. I'd like to leave the T-tars that are in there now, in there.

5. ShadowCacnea

ShadowCacnea New Member

you could probably afford to drop a Forest Guardian, since you have 18 supporters in there.

6. SwampertEX

SwampertEX New Member

Needs more nrg.

7. plaidlesspez

plaidlesspez New Member

Sorry, I don't remember what the Expedition Larvitar does, but the Aquapolis one is a lot better than most people would think. I used to play it in a deck just as a tech to start games out. It's attack that makes your opponent discard is awesome. No flip and you get to remove a damage from him. You should try it out.

8. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

If you don't see anyone playing Muk EX, then the expedition one is playable but if someone shuts off Tyranitar's Body, then Tyranitar is useless. One of it's attack costs five dark right?

9. YoungJohn06

YoungJohn06 New Member

REALLY?!?! :eek: WOW! :D

And the EX larvitar has more HP.... there for he's better :p

What is Muk EX? :confused:

10. Dek

Dek New Member

Muk ex = Fossil Muk. Enough said.

Anyways, I would definately suggest the usage of AQ Larvitar. It can heal itself while discarding the top card off of your opponenet's deck, as well as doing a possible 20 damage with one fighting energy. I used it in a few decks, and it destroyed Sneasel ex :lol:

11. nikePK

nikePK New Member

Doens't Muk ex have to be active? And doesn't Muk ex suck?

Yeah, AQ Larvitar is the way to go, so what if EX has more hp... nothing is going to FTK you in this format really.

Tyranitar doen't have a 5 dark attack. Expedition's has a 4 dark attack though. AQ has a 5 energy attack that is 2 dark and 3 colorless, and its first attack is total 0wnage. for 1 Darkness u flip, heads u remove an energy. PLus the resistance... massive HP, massive power attack... i love the AQ T-tar.

For once I'll actually agree with Swampert on this, I think you need to run at least 16 energy in this. Possibly as much as 18. I don't see the 2 TV helping you much, you might want to drop those and drop the forest guardians for some other stuff... maybe some potion to keep the beast going.

Well, tinker with it as you testplay, I think this can be a pretty formidable foe even though I'm not the biggest fan of Solrock, Lunatone isnt bad.

12. YoungJohn06

YoungJohn06 New Member

The deck is pretty solid, I might add one of those T-tar. I always go HP over attack with the pokemon... cause well if they're the lower forms they ain't there to attack they're there to evolve and that's it. ;)

I'm gonna drop a TV for something probably... the energy I normally have enough, Forest Gaurdian is really good... It's kinda like a computer search for this format... only with 7 cards but it's still helpful. Thanks for the suggestions though

13. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

The deck looks strong once it sets up. I'm trying to figure a good Gardevoir-counter deck. This looks like a good start. I'm just curious as to how often you might get hand-clog with the high number of supporters? Plus, the energy count seems low and risky to me. Forest Guardian is the only way to get them, so I see you being able to power up at least one Tyranitar fairly effectively, but what about when it gets KO'd? Do you typically have another Tyranitar ready? Just curious.

Just one suggestion. PokeNav lets you get ANY energy card, and it's NOT a support. If you can find room, PokeNav might be useful. Plus, it let's you re-arrange the top 2-3 cards if necessary. Just a thought.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2003
  14. YoungJohn06

YoungJohn06 New Member

Normally I can get up a second T-tar fast. The first one I have out and going by turn 4 or 5 in most games... and he starts koing fast and after that in the games I've played after the first ko... they have to rebuild... and you're building another t-tar... and everyturn they take to rebuild you get a prize cause T-tar takes out any staller in a hit and before they know it they're in a hole they can't get out of... I've not had a problem getting up a second t-tar... With boost in there late game i generally have 1-2 prizes left and can attach a boost to a t-tar if needed and attack for game. I tested this out vs gardevoir... everything I said above happened lol. I took a prize a turn pretty much and I had it up and going fast... gardevoir couldn't take a prize.

I don't normally get too many supporters in my hand... and even though I do sometimes it's not that bad cause by that time I'm pretty much set up and I just choose the one that's gonna help most... and it works out really good. I've got draw power each turn or searching each turn.... and it works nicely. It takes down Gardevoir without much problem.... the hardest deck for it would be Aggron... since there's really not much fighting played... he's practically got no weakness and is a beast. Aggron EX is the only thing that really makes him lose strenght... that's why I put in ER 2... hoping to get a flip or 2 right on the Metals and take down Aggron before it gets set up.

15. dkates

dkates New Member

A very interesting concept. I'm going to suggest some changes to the Trainer engine, though. For one, Forest Guardian and Elm's Training Method really aren't all that good. Replace them with 2 Copycats, an Energy Removal 2, and a Desert Shaman. Then drop the Birches and a Town Volunteers for Fighting Energies or Rainbow Energies, to help avoid Energy shortages. That should make this deck, which already looks very good, just a bit better.

16. YoungJohn06

YoungJohn06 New Member

I agree with ya... Elm's Training method is good... it's one of the few searching cards you have. It's pokemon trader... with a few restrictions. :rolleyes:

Copycat sucks in this format... I don't think I'll play more than 2... there's barely ANY just plain out draw power in this format... it's all shuffle hand into deck and draw 4-5 cards or how ever man your opponent has... and normally that's about 2-4... So I don't play many Copycat. I'm gonna drop a TV for something and maybe a birch...

Thanks for the suggestion though Dkates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.