Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

UK SE Challenge 5 Crawley

TheGame

Hey Ian,now that the new format has been announced are we sticking to playing 'best of' promos or will they now not be allowed?
Crawley 5 south east challenge
6 Dec 2003 10 am reg. for 11 am start
St.Edward the Confessor Social Club
Hillcrest Close
Pound Hill
Crawley

Be There!!

Last edited:
tricky... if the event is sanctioned then obviously no BEST allowed.

Given past PUI performance I'd say that we are unlikely to have a sanctioned event on Dec 6th. So the choice is up to us and we will stay with our original plans for EON.

-----------
Unless there is a good reason for exclusion of the BEST promos they are currently allowed in EON for Crawley.

[usual small print and disclaimers apply ;)]

Sounds good to me! It would be nice,however,if we could actually get our first sanctioning from PUI. That would be cool!:) But as you said it will be unlikely:(

Aw, get rid of the Best ones. Decks with mixed new and old cards look silly.

Heh, I'm more bothered about uniformity than deck strategy. I'm odd. :)

I recon we should force them just to use WotC Promos and cards because most of the prizes will be WotC/Hasbro sourced ;)

PUI who are they OP in the UK is US.....

Last edited:
Okay.. Current Format for Crawley December 6th

EON with Wotc BEST promos but NO NINTENDO PROMOS. The Free retreat Maril misprint from Sandstorm is also Banned. (No you can't play Recycle energy Chris;))

---------

Justification: All players should have roughly equal access to the available card pool.

==================

Tournament structure:

As many thirty minute single game rounds as we can fit in in the time available. Thats a maximum of nine rounds with play starting at 11am and finishing on or before 5:30pm

If either the 15+ or the 10- age group has more than 24 players then they get their own tournament.

===============================​

Tea, coffee, and other light refreshments available during the day. Lunch break of 40 minutes sometime between 1pm and 2pm (ie between rounds 3 and 4).

Last edited:
TheGame said:
Which set is the free retreat marril out of? Not sure which card we're talking about!
It's out of the Sandstorm set. Out of three boxes I got about 8 or 9 of them... and about the same number of the ones with the usual 1 retreat cost. Oh well, looks like they're out (for now)!!

The free retreat Maril isn't in the International Boosters. Its in the USA only boosters. That is unless Ben and myself have been very very unlucky with the UK sourced product.

Any chance of publishing a prize list in advance of the event when you have had a chance to work out what is available ?

Sounds a good format to me should see some interesting decks, Scizor and MewtwoEX besides.

I hope most will come for the play and the prizes will be the icing on the cake?

I know that WotC have thrown product at the last of our OP events but that was way above normal.. A4 card folder anyone! And so far Nintendo have been reticent about support for normal OP... outside of promos and we are working hard on pushing for that as soon as possible.

Certainly myself and Ian will be providing Booster pack support and I am sure Ian can work out the prize structure in advance.

Watch this space for details and I have no doubt that plushies will be involved somewhere too ;)

YEA PLUSHIES! While I can Crawley will have a soft toy theme to it.

The prize structure will be fairly flat...Crawley is never going to be a winner-takes-it-all event. I'm trying to get hold of some of those nice new Collectors tins from the USA but this isn't seeming likely. USA release date plus shipping is very very close to the Crawley event date.
Would make some very very special prizes if I can manage it.

There is a single uncut foil sheet left over from the last challenge event and lots of other cards. Since much of this has been seen before and much is incomplete the intention was to hold the majority of this material over for Martin's tournament in Norfolk next year. Of course there should be some stuff left over from the 'Farewell' tournament too but I haven't seen any of that so can't comment. Maybe by pooling the leftovers some bigger prizes can be put together?

We might even get some support from PUI HINT HINT!

However for those that want to up the ante you can buy in to a booster pool. Winner gets half the pool , 2nd gets 1/4 etc. Results determined by the final standings.

The one thing I won't do is invest all the entrance money in prizes for the top three players. That said, Ben has already indicated that there will be booster prizes.

Last edited:
NoPoke said:
Of course there should be some stuff left over from the 'Farewell' tournament too but I haven't seen any of that so can't comment.

There was a ton of stuff left over from that event, Gold border Meowths, Foil Elms, Jumbo Cards, 100s of foil energies and promos along with some sets and the foil sheets. I believe it is now in the safe keeping of Ben, some of it was used at SEC IV such as some of the sets and the aforementioned foil sheets. As for support from PUI, Keep Hinting, who knows they may come good in time ???

Not Guilty Graeme the stuff left over from the Farewell Tourney is not with me!! What John provided for SE 4 was with me but that was used in London and any left over from that will be used at Norfolk together with hopefully some Nintendo Support....

Cerftainly I will be adding some boosters to the mix from Ruby and Sapphire and Sandstorm, we have some left from the last challenge and there will be other prizes too ... I still have some Eon tickets for Winners ;)

So Crawley will I think try to get away from the WotC stuff a bit and we will try to make the prizes differnt but still with the WOW factor... But in the end it's Ian's baby we will just try to make sure all the prizes are not just down to him to get...

Last edited:
Yeah,basically Crawley will be just for the fun of playing(but with plushies :D ) I'm sure with Ian and Ben at the helm all players will go away satisfied! Hopefully with leftover stuff and PUI support (hint,hint ) for my event up in the wilds of Norfolk!

Just for fun???? You make that sound in some way inferior. No there will be bigger prizes for the winners much as at earlier events, but since the prize support from WotC is much depleted don't expect all the monies from the door to go on a few BIG prizes for the winners.

No point in Hinting at PUI anymore. PUI are now officially USA only.

Ben will be playing.

ukpokemonpro said:
Not Guilty Graeme the stuff left over from the Farewell Tourney is not with me!! What John provided for SE 4 was with me but that was used in London and any left over from that will be used at Norfolk together with hopefully some Nintendo Support....

I haven't got it either. Ben brought me stuff for SE Four prior to the Farewell event.

I guess its still with John

NoPoke said:
I haven't got it either. Ben brought me stuff for SE Four prior to the Farewell event.

I guess its still with John

This needs to be chased up and the material put in the pool.

I thought I would post the details again and maybe we should start a new thread to get the details up there first or perhaps Martin could copy them into his post?

anyhow here we go:

5th South East Challenge
6th December 2003
St Edward the Confessor Social Club
Hillcrest Close
Pound Hill
Crawley
RH10 7EQ

Doors opem 10am for registration
tournament starts 11am

Entrance Fee £5

details on www.southeastchallenge.com - soon - that is when I update the site :)

Back