Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ultima's Nat's Report '08

Ultima

So after some testing, a lot of paranoia about the decks being played, and a about 20 changes to my deck, I finally pull out my Empoleon List:

4 Piplup MD
3 Prinlup DP
2 Empoleon MD
1 Empoleon DP
1 Empoleon Lvl X
1 Magikarp MT
1 Gyarados MT
1 Diglett SW
1 Dugtrio CG
1 Baltoy GE
1 Claydol
1 Palkia DP
1 Palkia Lvl X
2 Pachirisu GE

3 Rare Candy
4 Celio's
2 Bebe's
3 Roseanne's
3 Steven's
3 Switch
2 Night Maintainence
1 TSD

10 Water
3 Scramble
3 Holon WP

Game 1: (forgot name) : Grass Deck

Basically, his deck isn't the best constructed, so he only has 2 pokémon in play. I get an Empoleon MD out ASAP and he scoops pretty quickly. Hard luck.
1-0

Game 2: Chris MG : Gyarados/Unown P

I start with a Lone Piplup vs. his Lone Suicune. I set up Empoleon Lvl X ina few few turns and start Dual Splashing away at his Bench. He sends out sableye, forcing me to 2HKO with Surf together. Finally, I get a bench going, but he gets a 'Dos going and takes out my Empoleon Lvl X. I have a few turns of sacrafices until I can get another Empoleon MD out and take my last prizes.
2-0

Game 3: (Forgot name again): Magkiss

We both Start with Pachis, and get got setups going. I have Dugtrio going and we poth leave our Pachi's out as we build up our benches. I eventually get Palkia Lvl X out and force his highly Charged 'Mortar out, and Surf together washes it away. However, he gets out his Kiss which starts to tank me out, while I try and thwart his plans of a second 'Mortar. The battle reaches it's climax as he gets a Mag Lvl X against my 'Dos. Time is called, and I end up winning on a frikkin Burn Flip.
3-0

Game 4: Ren: Gardevoir/Empoleon
I get a usaul good start against his deck, while he sets out Gardevoir in the active spot and attempts to
Set up several Piplups on the bench. I get out Empoleon MD and take out Gardevoir, and the rest of his Empoleon follow as he lacks the energy and the benched pokémon to do any real damage.
4-0

Game 5: Ben SA: GG
He starts with Duskull against my Pachi. Things start Swimmingly for me, as I set up and start Sniping away, while he attempts to set up with Furret. I take out his Duskull, but he brings it back with a TSD and a Dusknoir completely screws me over. In the end, time is called and he's ahead on prizes.
4-1

For all the skill he has, Ben left his Promo card and other stuff at the table, so I had to go over and give them to him :p

So the Standings are up, and I'm in 6th place. Time for the top cut:

Top 16: Jem: Honchkrow/Darkrai

Game 1: We both start out okay, but he ends up better off, as with the help of his Evil Dice, he takes all my guys down. Probably should have attacked sooner rather than later.

Game 2: I get a much better game going this time. I use Palkia Lvl X and Restructure his Claydol out to the active Spot, and switch away my Own Claydol. I snipe his bench because he can't do anything, and I take out all of his main Threats. Just when I have his back against the wall, time is called and I'm cheated out of my Win D:.

So, not bad I guess.

Props:
Palkia Lvl X, most underrated tech ever
All my friends for support.

Slops:
Lost important match on technicality
Prizes weren't as good as last year

The dream eludes me once again, but I'll be back.

Well done, Ryan. Impressive showing, especially in Swiss. So happy that our day of playtesting with Luke worked out well for the two of you.

You ryan are such a good player, and me in particular thuaght u wouldnt do well. Credit is needed for you and thanks for the advice on the tech!

Well Done
Luke

evil dice - yes sometimes they can be.

congrats. Did you ever manage to use the Gyarados?

Back