Uncommonly Good

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Pajamas, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pajamas

Pajamas <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

I wanted to see if I could put together a reasonable deck without using a single rare card.

Pokemon (19):
    3-2 Breloom SW
    3-2 Donphan SW
    3-2 Hariyama GE
    4 Stantler SW

Trainers (27):
    1 Battle Frontier
    2 Buffer Piece
    3 Castaway
    3 Celio's Network
    2 Cessation Crystal
    2 Crystal Beach
    2 Crystal Shard
    2 Moonlight Stadium
    1 Night Maintenance
    3 Professor Oak's Visit
    2 Roseanne's Research
    2 Scott
    2 Strength Charm

Energy (14):
    12 :fighting:
    2 :grass:

All three stage 1 Pokemon have 100HP, which isn't too shabby. Stantler helps you get a handful of supporters at the start. Hariyama does 80 damage to an opponent with more HP, Breloom does 120 to an opponent who has free retreat (hence the Moonlight Stadium... you could OHKO Gardevoir), and Donphan does 130 to an opponent with a tool. No powers and no special energy means you're free to shut them down with Cessation Crystal and Crystal Beach. Crystal Shard helps you overcome fighting resistance (and deal with that pesky Garchomp). Castaway and Scott let you get your tools and stadiums when you need them.

It's not a top-tier deck, and it doesn't have any real response to Magmortar, but it's solid and could surprise a few people. Thoughts?

2. elekid_957

elekid_957 New Member

pokemon:14
    3-3 breloom
    4-3 lucario (you need lucario)
    1 lucario LV.X (you can get it from a tin so it's not that rare)

energy:
    3 DRE
    13 fighting
    it only has 4 rare cards in it

3. Pajamas

Hi elekid,
    The idea was to build a deck "without using a single rare card". Though they are good cards, Lucario and DRE are rares, so they don't belong here. Thank you, though.

4. afstandopleren

afstandopleren New Member

Venomoth would be a good choice for a non rare card.
    It also Poisons and Sleeps the attacking pokemon with it's Dangerous Scales pokebody.

5. Pajamas

I think Venomoth SW is a great card... the body is really useful, and the attack is reasonably powerful for only two energy. The concerns I have had with it in the past are the low HP (80), and the fire weakness. If I added a line of 3-2 Venomoth SW, who should I get rid of? Also, I'd need to add more grass energy... how much? Any other changes?

6. afstandopleren

I think you should remove:
    2 Stantler (It's only good use is to fish out Trainers)
    1 Battle Frontier (You won't find many uses for this one.)
    2 Moonlight Stadium (It does NOT help you in any way as it's only for Psychic and Dark types)
    4 :fighting: energy

Also, how about Kecleon SW?
    40 protection against the types that are the same as the basic energy attached to him use good.
    It can also attack for 60 but you have to flip and if it's tails then you do 20 to 1 of your pokemon.
    But that damage can be prevented by Unown G which is btw also not rare.

7. Pajamas

The reason I'm running so many Stantler is to increase my odds of starting with one... I don't plan to play more than one per game, but I definitely want to start with him if possible. I would consider swapping for Smeargle, but regardless I'm thinking I really want to have four starters.

In retrospect, Battle Frontier may not be as useful as I initially thought. I guess it's good for shutting down Togekiss? Probably not worth keeping.

Moonlight Stadium helps me a lot, and in fact is crucial considering the metagame. If Moonlight is in play, Breloom's second attack does 120 damage to any psychic or dark Pokemon for three energy. That's enough to OHKO Gardevoir, Darkrai Lv.X, or pretty much anybody else of those types.

What goes in to replace the four fighting energy?

Kecleon's attack says "does 20 damage", and Unown G's power says "prevent all effects of attacks, excluding damage", so I'm pretty sure that Unown G doesn't protect you. Am I missing something?

8. afstandopleren

Sorry about the Unown G thing, I forgot that it only prevents effects.

Indeed, I have not thought of it like that. It's so rare for pokemon to have 0 retreat cost.
    Then again, when playing against those opponents, they are likely to play the card themselfs...

Togekiss and Darkrai lv.X are the only 2 worth mentioning. But Darkrai is weak to Hariyama and has ridiculous low hp (100HP).
    Togekiss on the other hand will rarely be put as active pokemon but it resists Fight.

9. Pajamas

Battle Frontier doesn't even protect me against Darkrai Lv.X, since he is still considered to be a Basic. It could still be a useful play against Garchomp or anybody else who is teching Togekiss or the Porygon line. I guess we'll know better after regionals how popular those cards actually are. It also helps just a slight bit against Magmortar by shutting down the powers for Delcatty and Delcatty ex.

10. Prize_Card

Prize_Card New Member

If you want to make an all non-rare deck, then there are way better choices to go. These guys require more energy, then lets say cacturne from GE, or peliper GE..

11. elekid_957

elekid_957 New Member

hmmm... ok then
    pokemon:14
    3-3 breloom
    2-2 hariyama
    4 stantler

energy:
    2 scramble
    2 DRE
    12 fighting

12. burnpsy

burnpsy New Member

hmm... this is good :thumb:, but why so many stantlers??? maybe you could remove some and add some more supporters so the remaining ones are even more useful??? oh wait:confused:... wouldn't that make it a good idea to add them back in??? I've confused myself now.... sorry I couldn't make more sense...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.