Underground expedition vs TV Reporter

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by JasonthePwnda, Jan 6, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. JasonthePwnda

JasonthePwnda New Member

Underground expedition is better to me. TV Reporter does get you 3 cards, but usually one of them is not gamebreaking for the turn. The net gain of cards is the same on both. Underground expedition has a wider selection as well.

2. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

I'd say neither is better. But nothing works with drawing cards on the bottom of your deck as stuff works with drawing stuff on the top of your deck. In all cases, I woud go with TV Reporter. I like drawing one extra card, and who cares if I have to discard a stupid card. I don't have to let go of anything already in my hand. And I can always pla oracle with it to get out my stuff the turn later.

3. Jeremy Badeaux

Jeremy Badeaux New Member

I'd have to say that I prefer Underground Expedition(it also gives that little search ability).

You end up gaining the same amount of cards in your hand either way.
    If you have no other cards in your hand when you use tv reporter, who's to say that you will wan to discard one of those 3 cards?

4. Prime

I've never played a game where at one point I had no cards in my hand. And atleast you get to choose what card of the three to discard. I mean the card you might be needing might be the third card from the top. You won't know with UE. And anyways, who wants to draw from the bottom of their deck. Oracle puts the card on the top. So you can't even combo oracle with it. You get to draw one more, you get to discard any card from your hand. So if you already have a card in your hand, then thats three brand new cards right there. Unlike UE, which has no combos, has no extra features, just the bill of the past turned upside down. And to top it off, it's a supporter. A lousy one at that.

5. JasonthePwnda

JasonthePwnda New Member

well, tv reporter is a supporter too. oracle cant be played the same turn as tv reporter, so that combo isnt so good. and without oracle, with tv rep. you get to choose from 3, and UE gives you 4 to choose from. the one card thinning that TVV Reporter provides will help you a little, but not very much with drawing the right cards (until your deck is very thin), and you might not want to discard anything. sometimes, tv reporter can be comboed with stuff like mewtwo ex to get energy in the discard though. besides, its easier to cheat and put cards at the bottom of your deck than the top, where everyone is watching you (just kidding).

6. Prime

Oh I didn't see the look at the bottom 4 cards. Hmmm I still have to say they are equal. I mean UE is nice how you can pick 2 of the 4 you get to see. But also, alot of the time you have a useless card in your hand and drawing three extra is a nice little treat. I'll still probably use TV Reporter because well I like the drawing 3 better than the look at the bottom 4 and draw 2.

7. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

all this and no one has mentioned Bills Mantenience. Or Birch, or even Juggler

Outta the 5, it is situational which I would play. all get a net gain of 2 cards except for Birch, which is random based on hand size.

Reporter is good for decks where discarding NRG or other things is easy to correct. Also 2 turn combos with Oracle. can be played if only card in hand.

Bills Mantenince is good, shuffles a card you can use later/dont need into your deck, and then draws 3. No Oracle support, and cant play if only card in hand

Underground Expedition is cool. Looks at 4, picks 2 best, then shuffle the others back. Can play it if only card in hand. No combo with Oracle. No discard.

Juggler. Either way, net gain is 2. Specific on what is discarded, and cant play if only card in hand. 2 turn combos with Oracle. Can draw 3 or 5 new cards though

Birch is the most unballanced. If no hand it is the best. If more than 5 cards in hand (after Birch is played) it is useless. 2 turn combos with Oracle, as long as hand is small. No discard.

and then just to throw this in the mix, there is Forrest Gardian. Its net gain is less, but works like UE. can be played if no hand. No Oracle Combo. gets 1 outta 7 cards. No discard.

8. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

I really wouldn't count those that draw from the tops as Oracle combos: by the time you can use them, you'll hav eone of the two cards already in your hand. Ancient Ruins combos better with Oracle-at least then if you have no Supporters in your hand next turn(something you can control somewhat), then bam! You can grab that next card... which you could have arranged to be a useful Supporter... yes, it makes sense in some deck, especially if you run a Stage 1 line-you could grab the Evp with your opening draw, play it, then use Ancient Ruins effect for your second card, say a POR or Copycat?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004